1 2
RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/28/23 10:20 p.m.

This is my old ass on my Haro that Chad Degroot built for me, unfortunately it didn't cone with any of his talent. 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/29/23 9:21 a.m.

I love BMX and have spent many dollars and received many stitches to prove myself to the 2 wheel gods.

Flatland, with your tiny frames, zero degree headtubes, and no offset forks is black magic voodoo wizardry that I will never understand. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/29/23 9:39 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

I love BMX and have spent many dollars and received many stitches to prove myself to the 2 wheel gods.

Flatland, with your tiny frames, zero degree headtubes, and no offset forks  is black magic voodoo wizardry that I will never enderstand. 

This bike was actually built to be "hybrid " of sorts.  It's a street frame with fairly steep geometry,  a fork with very little offset,  fiend free coaster so I can adjust it enough to find a sweet spot between enough play to work on tricks but solid enough engagement to be able to go to the park or just ride it around.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/29/23 10:27 a.m.

Ayyyy compadre! I live a mile from Chad's shop! 

I can't flatland AT ALL, but I do have a subrosa park bike I do plan on making into a flattie bike once I can get some personal E36 M3 sorted out. I actually have the last street frame from chad's last run when he did the deco 10th anniversary set in my garage right built up. You ever frequent candyland? 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/29/23 10:31 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Ayyyy compadre! I live a mile from Chad's shop! 

I can't flatland AT ALL, but I do have a subrosa park bike I do plan on making into a flattie bike once I can get some personal E36 M3 sorted out. I actually have the last street frame from chad's last run when he did the deco 10th anniversary set in my garage right built up. You ever frequent candyland? 

I do go to candyland like once a month. Sunday afternoons are rad there.  Bunch of pros usually show up so it's fun to ride and to watch. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/29/23 10:35 a.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Longwood is wild, man. Kip and Marcos and Chad and all the dudes from Shadow...like it is somehow BMX mecca out here. It's great. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/23 4:45 p.m.

I built this up a couple weeks ago. I've still not actually landed and/or rode out of any tricks yet, but I'm really liking the bike way more than expected. I just need to drop ~10lbs from it, as it's over 30lbs now. 

That basically means I'm going to be building a new bike & scavenging a few bit from this one...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/30/23 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

holy god, that thing is a TANK. Flatland has changed a lot since they built em like that. That sprocket alone is giving me fits. 

Super sick period piece but man, there are waaaaays. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/30/23 2:22 p.m.

I miss old bikes, mostly straight laced 48's.  I need to build a old bike.

10/31/23 9:40 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I'd been plotting out & planning a new-school build when this frame, wheels/tire & an S&M fork for $100 landed in my lap, so I tossed this together just to see if I really would ride a 20" enough to justify building one. Then I got to ride a new-school bike last week & absolutely loved the geometry!

I have some ideas for which frame & fork I want to get, so I'll keep my eyes open for any Black Friday or holiday sales. Of course I'll need a lot more parts than that to put it together.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/31/23 9:43 p.m.

Very cool seeing Chad show up on our forum. You all know his Squareback, right? 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
11/1/23 10:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Yea man, that is the perfect patina car.  Solid runner,  bagged, and just the perfect amount of age and wear. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/1/23 10:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Love that car. 

David S. Wallens
11/2/23 10:14 a.m.

And, I hate to admit, I haven’t been to his new shop. I need to get over there. Actually, I need to talk to Chad about some new wheels, too. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/2/23 10:24 a.m.

New shop is the legitest. It IS smaller than the old shop, which is sad. No more flatland jams next to the pool table. 

BUT the AC works. I'm there....too much. Chad sticks me in the wallet every time he gets out new deco merch. Coco watched my cats the last time I was in Minneapolis, actually. 

@Pete- I remembered something. Chad HAS a prebuilt Ares Sword Flatland specific bike in his shop right now. It's pretty sick. It's probably not pete budget friendly, but it's awesome and chad's awesome and you should get it. 

https://mrbikesnboards.com/products/bikes

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/2/23 2:46 p.m.

I have had an epipatree. 

It's Wallens fault I live in Longwood. 

Back in...2018-2019 I expressed interest in maybe doing a bmx again. Of course, since GRM knows all, I asked here. Wallens (and some others, I think?) insisted I go to Mr. Bs. So- I did. 

While at Mr. B's I got a gander at Seminole Cty. And I LIKED it. A ton. We kept coming back. And made more trips to the bike store. We eventually decided this was roughly where we wanted to land. 

So, when we finally had enough of apartment life, we found a house to rent. A mile from the bike shop. and Candyland. And Reiter. And Big Tree. And all the stuff that makes Longwood amazing. And my neighbor is building a turbo smallblock S10 with alarming efficiency. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
11/2/23 2:59 p.m.

This forum is literally the raddest people on earth.  Who would of thought there would have been a bunch of us that share the common interest of racing cars but also soooo many bmxers also.  Punk rock, guitars, bmx, Chad, fast cars....don't think it gets much better than this.  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/2/23 4:25 p.m.

There's a lot of rad in this thread.

Also hopped in to make sure David saw this thread. wink

David S. Wallens
11/3/23 8:43 p.m.

This is awesome. All of it. Yeah, definitely some terrific BMX/car/music communities down here. 

Maybe we’ll host another BMX jam at our local park. We did a few, and it was just fun. 

Also related to all of this, some of you might recognize the bike shop (and its owner) featured in this music video:

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/4/23 6:49 p.m.

I think i saw the greatest chad related video the other day- my neighbor with the SBC/T S10 keyed me in

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/4/23 8:16 p.m.

I never got into flatland, but I did race BMX back in the day.

I loved my CW!  

I've been sporting a diamondback cruiser for 20 years.  Never had to do a single thing to it except change tires and brake pads.  Luv it.

I'll see about getting a roof rack for the rx8 and bring it to the challenge with me.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/4/23 9:43 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I know a picture exists of me running around on a green 20" in 2019. It makes it a lot more fun. 

11/5/23 8:34 p.m.
Mndsm said:

@Pete- I remembered something. Chad HAS a prebuilt Ares Sword Flatland specific bike in his shop right now. It's pretty sick. It's probably not pete budget friendly, but it's awesome and chad's awesome and you should get it. 

https://mrbikesnboards.com/products/bikes

That's an awesome price, but I've realized that a 20.75"-21.5" frame is the size I need for the riding I want to do. 

I had an Ares flatland bike about 16-18 years ago & it was just too short for the blend of street/trials/old-school flat I'm hoping to be able to relearn. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/9/23 9:27 a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/longwoodcriticalmass/

Hay- this. First Friday of every month at 7pm. Rideout at Mr. B's. It's a good time. Lots of people. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/9/23 9:34 a.m.
Mndsm said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/longwoodcriticalmass/

Hay- this. First Friday of every month at 7pm. Rideout at Mr. B's. It's a good time. Lots of people. 

This weekend doesn't work because it's the autox state championship in ft Myers but I will definitely have to check that out.  I will have to leave work super early because..........I4 lol

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e4CJLYI0dbS01yiGAU2ID6KyLaJrIIOeEzzrza00GG9OBaobTZ6lJlmkbOk9N9mZ