1 ... 3 4 5
Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/8/13 4:15 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I love it. WV has a berkeleying awesome dialect (IMO.) My brother Mark was called "Moork" by most of our relatives up there. A bushel is a "Boo-shul." And yeah, wash is "worsh." I've probably only got a soft spot because my grandma spoke like that, and she is the sweetest berkeleying person who ever lived.

I'd bet it started out as a German immigrant-ism. In German, you frequently get an umlaut over the "a", and for some reason that adds an r sound to the end in a lot of German dialects. Sounds kind of like "air".

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/13 4:22 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: FYI: I'll be excommunicated for sharing this, but "honey" and "sweety" are basically a polite southern woman's way of saying "You poor mouth-breathing yankee retard."

Well, bless your heart.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/8/13 4:24 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: FYI: I'll be excommunicated for sharing this, but "honey" and "sweety" are basically a polite southern woman's way of saying "You poor mouth-breathing yankee retard."

...so THAT's why the woman behind the register at the local Pick and Pull calls all of us honey.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/8/13 4:32 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
jere wrote: What does everyone else call the grass between the sidewalk and the road that is government property?
That's the tree lawn.

Round here, that's the boulevard. At least to me. I tend to find I'm a bit of an anachronism in MN in regards to my dialect, despite having lived here my entire life. IE Soda. I refuse to call it pop- I despise that word.

redrabbit
redrabbit Reader
6/8/13 5:57 p.m.

I have heard poke (bag, sack), worsh (wash), yunz( yes I am from Pa.(SW corner). We used to play with crayfish in the creek. I live near Cleveland OH now. This bothers me..."can I axe you a question". I am not sure if it is dialect or economic or geographic?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/8/13 7:56 p.m.
redrabbit wrote: I have heard poke (bag, sack), worsh (wash), yunz( yes I am from Pa.(SW corner). We used to play with crayfish in the creek. I live near Cleveland OH now. This bothers me..."can I axe you a question". I am not sure if it is dialect or economic or geographic?

So is it crick, or creek?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/8/13 8:12 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
redrabbit wrote: I have heard poke (bag, sack), worsh (wash), yunz( yes I am from Pa.(SW corner). We used to play with crayfish in the creek. I live near Cleveland OH now. This bothers me..."can I axe you a question". I am not sure if it is dialect or economic or geographic?
So is it crick, or creek?

Call Arnold Schlick from Turtle Crick

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/13 8:38 p.m.

I see (what is to me) an odd use of anymore on this board from time to time. I looked it up and it is apparently it is called the positive anymore. Apparently it is least used in the Northeast, where I am from.

Example: "You've been working too late anymore." or "Anymore we're going to wash the car."

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapid=S326320gLlZ

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
6/8/13 8:53 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Here's another one: What do you call this kind of headwear?

Toboggan

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/13 9:24 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Here's another one: What do you call this kind of headwear?
Toboggan

This is a Toboggan:

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/8/13 9:36 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Seventh map down should include "You'uns."

and yins as a dot on pittsburgh

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/8/13 9:50 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: I was born and raised in San Diego and I always called them crawdads.

I was born and lived around Atlanta until I was 10. We called them crawdads too. When I moved to SE PA, other kids had no idea what I was talking about, "you mean crayfish?"

Since Subway moved into the area, "sub" and "hoagie" are pretty interchangeable around here now. I think the only reason WaWa calls them "hoagies" is to separate themselves from Subway in advertising lingo.

mad_machine wrote: first time I heard it, my brain stopped function for a good 2 seconds while it processed that a Dreadlocked Jamican added the "eh?" to the end of his sentence.

Even more odd - the first time I met an American-born Indian - who grew up in Brooklyn.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/13 10:05 p.m.

well.. wawa is/was a mid-atlantic thing.. with the majority in the philly region. Calling them a hoagie makes perfect sense

And now I want an italian hoagie in the worst way

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/8/13 10:27 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

I know... but anymore I'm sure they could call them "subs" and nobody but a few stalwarts in South Philly and South Jersey would bat an eye... Up here in the suburbs, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which name is used.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/9/13 1:35 a.m.
jere wrote: What does everyone else call the grass between the sidewalk and the road that is government property?

It's the "park strip" here. City property, though we planted trees as part of a neighborhood thing; their location was dictated and the type came off a menu, though a fairly broad one.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/9/13 6:17 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I love it. WV has a berkeleying awesome dialect (IMO.) My brother Mark was called "Moork" by most of our relatives up there. A bushel is a "Boo-shul." And yeah, wash is "worsh." I've probably only got a soft spot because my grandma spoke like that, and she is the sweetest berkeleying person who ever lived.
I'd bet it started out as a German immigrant-ism. In German, you frequently get an umlaut over the "a", and for some reason that adds an r sound to the end in a lot of German dialects. Sounds kind of like "air".

Yup.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
6/9/13 7:46 a.m.
Duke wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: What is confusing to me is asking if Pepsi is ok when you order a coke.
...I get offended if I order a Coke and they bring me a Pepsi without asking if that's acceptable. So much so that if I don't know, I just ask which brand they serve before I order.

Yep, I've had a couple times I asked if they had one particular brand of soda and they switched brands without telling me. The last time that happened to me was when I asked for Sprite and the waitress brought Sierra Mist - which doesn't bother me quite as much as substituting a Pepsi for a Coke. I'm another one of those who finds Pepsi to be too sugary compared to Coke.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
6/9/13 8:20 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
nicksta43 wrote:
Toboggan
This is a Toboggan:

That's what that style of hat is called. Don't know where the terminology came from but that's what my entire family calls it. Usually shortened to just boggan.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/9/13 11:10 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I see (what is to me) an odd use of anymore on this board from time to time. I looked it up and it is apparently it is called the positive anymore. Apparently it is least used in the Northeast, where I am from. Example: "You've been working too late anymore." or "Anymore we're going to wash the car." https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapid=S326320gLlZ

If you go to the main site with all 122 maps, there are 3 or 4 questions centering around "anymore" - far more than any other word in the study. Which to me is odd, because I've only ever heard one use of "anymore" in my life.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/13 12:34 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: That's what that style of hat is called. Don't know where the terminology came from but that's what my entire family calls it. Usually shortened to just boggan.

Well, the GRM webstore agrees with me, so

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/13 1:18 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

The original picture is a stocking cap since it is folded up on the bottom due to the extra length.

The one in the store is a beanie because it is shorter and doesn't require folding the bottom.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/13 5:11 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: well.. wawa is/was a mid-atlantic thing.. with the majority in the philly region. Calling them a hoagie makes perfect sense And now I want an italian hoagie in the worst way

I stopped at Wawa on the way home and got a nice italian Hoagie... I is satisfied

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
6/9/13 5:48 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Duh. That's a toque.

Mike, these Americans are silly. I feel the need to excuse myself from this thread before they get any sillier with their ridiculous dialects.

Say Celica again! Say Celica one more time motherberkleyer! I dare you!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/13 5:55 p.m.

But in Maine, an Italian is a little different. The meat and vegetables are usually much better than average, but it's served open faced on something resembling a hot dog roll. Very tasty, but hard to eat.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iwSErquLJoObJ3GhYrtTX402AJYx9ymsm7MMExaCQ2Ytu1gw3n3uMqn92nLSYVZh