1 2
Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/09 8:43 a.m.

So i've been bit by the new car bug. My current car is nice (318ti), but I'm growing more and more interested in only wrenching on my project car (1981 Camaro) and not my daily.

Local dealer has a brand new 09 turbo, zero miles. List prices is $25,500. "Internet Price" they just gave me is $20,999, and I've found at least one incentive on the car for $2500 cash back. I've put the ti up on a few forums for sale, but they are also willing to work with me on the trade and certain they can hit any price I'm interested in paying (are things that bad?).

Other than having a car payment, any reasons not to? I've never owned a new car before, so the whole feeling is a bit strange to me.

And yes, I'd race it in DS.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/09 9:05 a.m.

No reason not to, it's a FANTASTIC car and that deal is just to insanely good not to jump on!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
2/9/09 9:05 a.m.

Maybe wait a year and see what your old friend depreciation has to say...Of course, there is something to be said for being the only owner on a turbo car. Also, new car warranty isnt too bad either.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/9/09 10:24 a.m.

I would say if they easily forked over a $20,999 "internet price"

tell them your real price is 18,500 without incentives. Be prepared to walk.. Leave them your contact info and wait until the end of the month.. You'll get a call.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
2/9/09 11:46 a.m.

If I could get one for $18500 I would so freakin do it. Owning a new car is pretty cool, especially knowing you are the only asshat who has put any miles on it....therefor anything breaks is directly your fault or 100% of the manufacturers fault...not the idiot that owned it before you.

mtn
mtn Dork
2/9/09 11:48 a.m.
Gimp wrote: Cobalt SS: Talk me out of it...

No.

JohnGalt
JohnGalt New Reader
2/9/09 12:28 p.m.

supposedly the balt' double s destroyed a lot of more upscale and expensive machinery during the road and track lighting lap. Stuff like Evo MRs and the Lexus IS-F

mw
mw Reader
2/9/09 12:33 p.m.

how much for the ti?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
2/9/09 12:43 p.m.
Gimp wrote: Other than having a car payment, any reasons not to?

That's reason enough for me not to buy one.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
2/9/09 1:00 p.m.

You won't get talked out of that deal here...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
2/9/09 1:10 p.m.

fastest front wheel drive ever at the "ring" as well.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
2/9/09 1:18 p.m.

WOW I am impressed that you found one locally. the dealers around here, when I ask them about them say "huh?".....

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/09 2:38 p.m.
mw wrote: how much for the ti?

Check sccaforums.com or roadraceautox.com for now, until I put it in the GRM classifieds later tonight (not the 2008 though...). I'm motivated, and I'd knock a grand off for a GRMer who promises to use the car.

To (most of) the rest of you, I think you're right.

Good plan on the $18,500 and walking. I don't "need" a new car, so I'm willing to let them see what they can do.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/09 6:54 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: I'll give you the employee pricing too. tell me what dealer and salesman. I'll make the call. yoru name too LOL.

If you're serious, I'll take you up on it.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
2/9/09 6:55 p.m.

only reason I can think of to not get it, is that you can get a SRT-4 neon for half that the wifes car is about to hit 60k and so far no problems, and no she does not drive like an old lady

mtn
mtn Dork
2/9/09 7:01 p.m.
Gimp wrote:
mw wrote: how much for the ti?
Check sccaforums.com or roadraceautox.com for now, until I put it in the GRM classifieds later tonight (not the 2008 though...). I'm motivated, and I'd knock a grand off for a GRMer who promises to use the car.

I'm interested.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
2/9/09 7:59 p.m.

these people brought you the Pontiac Aztek. RUN.

JK. We are a GM family.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/09 8:33 p.m.
2.0dohc wrote: only reason I can think of to not get it, is that you can get a SRT-4 neon for half that the wifes car is about to hit 60k and so far no problems, and no she does not drive like an old lady

he had an SRT-4 already and sold it for the bimmer because he was sick of me making fun of him having a neon.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/09 10:52 p.m.

nah... I hated the handling of the SRT-4 and the crash rating didn't make me feel good either.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/9/09 11:11 p.m.

ok, i have something

we cant have a 2 way STS BMW battle if you get rid of the 318

I just really want to see you get that CP car finished.

then again, with me off probation (damn cone calls!)you would have had to of come up with some funny handicap to keep the Team Zip Tie (sports)Cup fun this year.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/9/09 11:36 p.m.
Gimp wrote: Other than having a car payment, any reasons not to? I've never owned a new car before, so the whole feeling is a bit strange to me.

How stable is your job at the moment?

That would be my only concern in buying any new car at the moment.

The mags have raved about the Cobalt SS. Very encouraging to see an American compact getting such high marks. Depreciation is somewhat moot if you're getting that much of a deal on it.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/09 7:08 a.m.

My job is pretty stable. Private gov. contractor for a company that is in very good fiscal shape. On a contract that's good for 4 more years.

That was a huge consideration of mine.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
2/10/09 7:30 a.m.

Have you bought it yet? Why not? Snap to it!!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
2/10/09 8:08 a.m.
racinginc215 wrote: I'll give you the employee pricing too. tell me what dealer and salesman. I'll make the call. yoru name too LOL.

If I trade my fit in for one of these, you can get me same hook up, yes?

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
2/10/09 10:40 a.m.
mtn wrote:
No.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GXo6AQQx5eoQEfjFV89qcRET0xvdIbEhfvJPb7viLtkd1CVJmGd57OHdt5QzNoc3