1 2
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/24 6:54 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I think thats the Detroit regions SCCA's last local site, but I'm out of the loop as of late.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
2/19/24 7:43 p.m.

I had a similar experience.  After I abandoned SCCA, my Region lost all the local venues and imploded.  Not because of me, it seemed like a lot of the people I knew got disenfranchised and left.  Then new people took over and the Region lost its mojo.  On paper it doesn't make much financial sense to renew if all you do is Solo II.  In the beginning, I loved autocross so I got involved.  I was the newsletter editor.  I made the dash plaques.  I once drove 10 hours to Indy to get certified as a safety steward so I could spawn more safety stewards in the Region.  The more I got involved, the less fun it was.  It became clear that the more you worked, the more others would watch you work.  It stopped being fun completely.  Then it became a burden.  I had to constantly beg for the various pieces necessary to build the newsletter each month.  One month (my last month) I published the newsletter with a blank cover.  The RE got the message and I might have autocrossed once or twice since then.  Whatever spark I once had for it has been completely extinguished.  Let it die if it wants to.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/20/24 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

Well said, it takes a lot for regions to keep going with unpaid help.  I personally felt the same way.  The more I got involved the more I hated it.  On top of the scca as a whole just going backwards with every decision they make.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/20/24 8:56 a.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I think thats the Detroit regions SCCA's last local site, but I'm out of the loop as of late.

It seems to be the only local autocross site, period. I ran there with Michigan Sports Car Club a couple of years ago, and I know the Corvette Club runs there, too.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
2/20/24 9:04 a.m.

Looks like you're about an hour and a half away from Toledo which is well worth the trip to an nwor event. Though a few events a year aren't really worth the membership cost.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CRHZpZNZwJXO0PBzc2vOAr44KwHSQTsg3ckqMiODAdkWFrjvcDUEHtdB2A8cQNJ8