1 2
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/10/08 11:52 p.m.
gamby wrote: This is a rad thread. I still need to take dance lessons of some sort w/ the wife. It's been on the back burner for a long time.

Boo Yah! Do it!

I'm a bit of a dance snob. I think you'll learn to dance a lot better, and have more fun, if you learn from social dancers rather than ballroom folks. I have a strong dislike of ballroom dancers, even ballroom dancers who do "club" dances (swing, salsa, argentine tango). The ultimate goal in ballroom is judged competition, which means very distinct moves.

I do badass E36 M3, but I couldn't tell you what half of it is because I just have fun playing with connection stuff.

I make a lot of martial arts comparisons between the two. And it's like the difference between practicing MMA and point sparring.

It's a lot tougher to get started as a guy too. A woman can show up and have a good dancer drag her around a floor, if you're a guy and don't know what you're doing, you can't just rely on your partner.

I'd suggest starting with Lindy or Salsa. Argentine Tango is fantastic but it's difficult. Blues is my favorite right now, but it's more a way of playing with other skill sets.

Oh, and I will be busting out some funktastic shiznit when I DJ. I love old school funk and 60's hep.

seann
seann Reader
10/25/08 1:36 p.m.

I had to reserect this thread because I just remembered Cab Calloway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSvJHHjak0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZOXF83zBg

How did the DJing go?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/27/08 10:39 a.m.
seann wrote: How did the DJing go?

Mixed bag. Apparently the guy who runs the event didn't talk to the person originally scheduled, like he said I would. But that turned out okay, and I took over the last half of the evening.

Everyone seemed to love the selection that I put together. Most seemed to prefer it over the earlier DJ. The big hit for the evening was when I played "Love Shack". Everyone got really into it stomping on the floor at the "bang bang, on the door, baby" section.

The guy who runs the event was offering me a lot of criticism though. I'm not sure how much was meant to be constructive and how much was because he didn't like my selection.

I'm going to wait a little while and then see if he'd like to have me DJ again.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rm48GpceispGsNaScu08h93v9V0W1DSU1v5znIUkgfrpAZU2b4aeIwwAcE2nsjBd