4/10/21 9:25 a.m.

X not gon give it to ya anymore

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 9:33 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/10/21 1:04 p.m.

We'll always have his rendition of Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. 

I'm still surprised Rudolph wasn't on that blow. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/10/21 1:34 p.m.

While everyone tends to criticize stuff like his tax evasion, 15 kids, etc etc, people got a VERY public look at the trials and tribulations of someone with mental health issues one might not otherwise see, from someone who was open about it. 

That being said, I still enjoyed his music and what he brought to that era of hip hop. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
4/10/21 2:32 p.m.
Mndsm said

That being said, I still enjoyed his music and what he brought to that era of hip hop. 

As a skinny white kid who grew up in the boons I remember hearing his songs in the early 2000s and thinking " this is good stuff." If the music can resonate, and be appreciated, from what could be the furthest demographic from what he was writing about and came from than he must have been doing something right.

50 was too young. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/10/21 2:47 p.m.

How are we going to know how Ruff Ryders roll now?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
4/10/21 3:24 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
4/10/21 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Tragic is your word not mine. Also yeah 50 is young. The guy had a family and kids. Maybe not a stable one as many of us have but I'm sure there will be time he could have spent with them in the future that he sure as heck can't now. Self imposed or not if you can't empathize with his kids who are now without a father than that's a shame. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
4/10/21 3:35 p.m.

The guy had catchy hooks and songs bar none. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/11/21 9:59 a.m.

I like to think DMX and Prince Phillip are up barking at St Peter. Like in his face, angry barking.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/21 12:47 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
1SlowVW said:
Mndsm said

As a skinny white kid who grew up in the boons I remember hearing his songs in the early 2000s and thinking " this is good stuff." If the music can resonate, and be appreciated, from what could be the furthest demographic from what he was writing about and came from than he must have been doing something right.

50 was too young. 

50 is too you g when it's a car wreck, cancer, heart attack, etc. When you do it to yourself, it's not "tragic" in my book. 

Your "book" is bullE36 M3.  Dude had a massive heart attack and was in a coma before finally passing.

I don't wish you ill health or death, but I will read your obituary with a smirk on my face.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/12/21 8:16 a.m.

Classy as always.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/12/21 8:21 a.m.

I honestly don't know any DMX music to think of, but I do know I always think Common is DMX whenever I see him in movies.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/12/21 8:46 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
1SlowVW said:
Mndsm said

50 was too young. 

50 is too you g when it's a car wreck, cancer, heart attack, etc. When you do it to yourself, it's not "tragic" in my book. 

Not trying to start an argument, but a discussion. From what I understand, his addiction issues started when he was 14 - he was homeless and/or in group homes by that point of his own choice to escape abuse from his mother. And he was probably also bipolar. And he had been supplied alcohol at age 7 by family members. 

With that kind of childhood, and the lack of education, do you really think that a heart attack that might have been caused by an OD was his fault? When he had entered rehab numerous times? The man never had much of a chance, honestly. It is incredible he made it to 50. It is a tragedy that his death was due to addiction, something that certainly wasn't a choice of his.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/12/21 10:57 a.m.

Is that a shout out to veterans with PTSD who decide that they can't bare the burden anymore? 

I caution you against painting with such a broad brush, as there are all types of different people with different backgrounds and different histories and different experiences who "do it to themselves"

And guess what, every single one of them needed help and could have used an ear and most of them could have been saved. It is rare that such bullE36 M3 is spoken of on this board. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/12/21 3:15 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
1SlowVW said:
Mndsm said

50 was too young. 

No one wants to become an addict. Some people, due to circumstances and brain chemistry are more prone then others. 

Did crapping on an artist other people like make you feel better? How is the air up there?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/21 3:54 p.m.

You never disappoint man. Every chance you can show how heartless you are, you take it. You obviously don't know anything about the man. Carry on though. 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
4/12/21 5:06 p.m.

I had my DMX playlist queued up on Friday.  RIP

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
4/12/21 8:23 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
4/12/21 8:30 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

berkeley everybody that smokes, drinks, is overweight, doesn't exercise enough, exercises too much, doesn't eat thier broccoli, or  stands too close to the microwave.  It was your choice.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
4/12/21 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

Are you not responsible for the choices you make?

Patientzero said:
Steve_Jones said:

berkeley everybody that smokes, drinks, is overweight, doesn't exercise enough, exercises too much, doesn't eat thier broccoli, or  stands too close to the microwave.  It was your choice.

Hey now, I eat broccoli.

Although the rest applies. 

X gon give it to me

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/12/21 9:04 p.m.

I listened to the DMX Count Up on LiveXLive Saturday.

I was a fan, my rap phase was late '90s to mid '00s.  DMX, Big Tymers, Three 6 Mafia, early Ludacris, a few others.  My Jeep had a pair of Alpine Type R 12s and 1000W RMS, it was a rolling juke box.  I'm sure I was a a sight, scrawny white kid with acne, blaring Ruff Ryders Anthem. laugh

Sad that he's gone, he had demons for sure, made some good music thanks to it.  He knew he had demons, made some attempts to get clean, but never seemed to stick.

I've been through some E36 M3 in my life, most folks have, but I have a great family and awesome friends, not everyone is lucky enough to have that kind of support structure.  I've never even smoked a cigarette, let alone done drugs, but that's not something I ever had any exposure to until college.  It's hard to imagine anyone raised around that culture and given drugs at a young age by perceived "roll models," to have much of a chance of getting out alive.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/12/21 11:59 p.m.

You are right. We are responsible for choices we make. It's the perception of berk em, they deserved it vibe you're sending out that's off putting. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/13/21 12:27 a.m.
Appleseed said:

You are right. We are responsible for choices we make. It's the perception of berk em, they deserved it vibe you're sending out that's off putting. 

In this case, though, I'm not sure that DMX had a choice. He was 7 when he was first given alcohol, by a family member. He was homeless by 14, and got addicted to crack via laced MJ. Or at least that is what the internet says. And for a kid like that, there is every possibility that the word "addiction" was not in his vocabulary.

So... Whether or not he had a choice in the matter is up for some debate. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RDle3x1p6VUvZv7YLZBTPyFgU3atOpaxteRWVOfdQgoGvUWmKgHscRVJA8TB1ZTN