1 2
btp76
btp76 Reader
12/1/11 8:39 p.m.

Drill bit sharpeners - fact or fiction? I have huge piles of dull bits. It seems like somewhere I picked up the idea that they're a gimmick. What say you?

jhaas
jhaas Reader
12/1/11 8:45 p.m.

i sharpen mine on a small upright belt sander...i had an OLD machinist teach me how. works like brand new!

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
12/1/11 8:56 p.m.

I use a grinding wheel. I think it works as good as a sharpener like Drill Doctor, but more robust and reliable.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
12/1/11 9:48 p.m.

Drill doctors do work well....Sort of.

I have worked with old timer machinists who have been hand sharpening for 40-50 years and a Drill doctor is more consistent than they are. I don't mean that their bits aren't sharp. They are and they cut like crazy but a drill doctored bit cuts a more accurately sized hole almost every time. If you have a precision ground 1/4" roll pin, take a well hand sharpened 1/4" bit and a drill doctor sharpened 1/4" bit and you will see the difference. The doctored bit hole will have a tighter tolerance fit.

And by sort of what I mean is that after 4 drill doctors I sort of have a problem with them. Perhaps I forgot how to use them but they sharpen up to 3/8" with perfection but as the bits get larger They start getting ground with negative relief and simply won't cut. I can't figure out why. They didn't always do this.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
12/1/11 9:51 p.m.

I've used a Drill Doctor at work a few times. As Ditchdigger said, it works well for smaller bits, but as the drill gets bigger relative to the grinding wheel the effectiveness decreases.

Bob

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
12/1/11 10:05 p.m.

I teach highschool metalwork.

I had a drill doctor. I find it a bit too time consuming. I, too, noticed the reduced accuracy of the Drill Doctor on larger bits - annoying.

I sharpen about 5 to 10 drill bits every day for students - I use a grinding wheel and can sharpen them lickity-split. They may not be "perfect," but they work for the accuracy that my students can muster (we use 3/16" roll pins in one project - man, I've sharpened a lot of 3/16" bits).

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
12/1/11 10:50 p.m.

We've got one at work.

I use the grinder.

If you can't sharpen drills, they work great.

If you know how to sharpen bits, the drill doctor sucks.

Shawn

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
12/2/11 5:11 a.m.

I can sharpen bits by hand. Learned to do it years ago.

I've had various sharpeners and jigs for sharpening bits as well. Overall, I've never been impressed by them.

Then I got a drill doctor. Wonderful tool. Read the manual and you will not use it right. Watch the video and then you will. I got the one with the large bit attachment so I can grind my 3/4" bits, does it just fine. Only when I get down into the 1/16 bits or so do I start really having trouble sharpening them with the drill doctor.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/2/11 6:37 a.m.

I have nothing to add except that I have a pile of dull HSS bits in the .128 to 5/16ths range and need to know whether I'm throwing them out or dropping $40 on a drill doctor.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
12/2/11 7:06 a.m.

I can sharpen them by hand, until they get small enough I can't see the faces anymore...those that I can't sharpen seem to be getting bigger every year.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
12/2/11 8:39 a.m.

The Harbor Freight drill sharpener is just as good as the drill Dr. I use it for up to 1/4" and hand sharpen the rest including all sizes of plexiglass drill bits.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
12/2/11 8:39 a.m.

GPS, if you're really contemplating the DD, look at this page and consider the various features of the various models, as well the accessories.

http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=159&Itemid=15

I've got the 500, I think. But it might be the old 750. I also have the 3/4" chuck, as well the left hand chuck.

I absolutely could not learn to work it right reading the manual. Only by watching the video did I figure it out.

I hardly ever use the big chuck, and I don't think I've ever used the left hand chuck.

It's done fine at dressing dull bits, and even setting a whole new face on broken bits. Some day I'll have to replace the wheel I suppose, but it's been years now and its still going strong.

Somewhere down below 1/4" things start getting difficult to set. It can be done, just right fiddly. Reading glasses probably would help.

I do not regret having bought it. Not at all.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/2/11 8:48 a.m.

I have a Drill Doctor. It works well for me. It was a bill, which buys a lot of drill bits, but the time it saves when you need to cut a hole in a chunk of stainless and all your bits in that size are dull makes up for it. I got the large bit chuck for it as well. I didn't know they made a left hand one. I only have a few left hand bits, used only for taking out busted stuff. A little dull probably helps there.

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
12/2/11 9:03 a.m.

I have a dril dr and it works great but like said above kind of time consuming.. after using it for a few years and seeing how it grinds the bits, I have started to do it on my grind wheel a lot faster..

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/2/11 9:28 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I have a Drill Doctor. It works well for me. It was a bill, which buys a lot of drill bits, but the time it saves when you need to cut a hole in a chunk of stainless and all your bits in that size are dull makes up for it.

As long as it works - considering they are not too much money to have sitting around and can save me from having to drive 20 miles round trip to get a drill in the middle of a job... sold.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
12/2/11 9:39 a.m.

My dad has one, and he loves it!

Joey

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/2/11 3:03 p.m.

I've got a Drill Doctor, used it every six months or so. Works well.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/2/11 3:10 p.m.

Sometimes.

I have a Drill Doctor. Don't use it too often.

I can do it (well) with a belt sander, a bench grinder, or a portable grinder.

But I usually do it with a file. Bastard. Nothing personal.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
12/2/11 6:15 p.m.

I've gotten a generic version that works well. They don't seem to stay as sharp as long after sharpening though.

redrabbit
redrabbit Reader
12/2/11 6:42 p.m.

My buddy is a carpenter. He goes thru a lot of drill bits. I recomended a drill doctor. I work in a die shop. I sharpen them by hand. The key if you need accuracy is to use a 6" scale (Starrett or General brand are easy to find) and make flutes even. You can also get a drill gage. The gage can be used for different drill point angles. (If you try to drill plex with a 118 deg. angle it will blow out). You can also learn to make sheetmetal drills. If you are not sure look at new drill bits & copy.

redrabbit
redrabbit Reader
12/2/11 6:46 p.m.

In reply to SVreX: I would like to see someone sharpen with a file !

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/2/11 8:25 p.m.

Umm, well ok:

Sharpening a drill bit with a file

Same concept, but a twist drill is a lot easier than an auger bit.

You understand, don't you that drill bits existed in the average person's toolbox long before power tools did, right?

I used to work as a timber framer. I have a full compliment of rather significant hand joinery tools (like a 2' long slick (chisel) for mortising large timbers). Nothing quite as fun as cutting a large timber joined truss with mortise and tenon joints held together entirely with pegs and joinery cut only with hand tools.

I'll try to upload a few pics of some of my timber work. It's all from my pre-internet days.

redrabbit
redrabbit Reader
12/3/11 11:52 a.m.

Im not a lumberjack...But I think Im ok... I see your application, but that wouldnt work with hardened drill bits. On a kinda related note, I was watching Mike Hukabee show and he was interviewing his wife. Subject; Habitat For Humanity, She helps build houses. Kinda neet.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
12/3/11 12:20 p.m.

Like one of the other guys above, I sharpen drill bits on a bench grinder for my students almost every day (I teach in a community college MET program).

I try to get the kids to do it: some are better than others. A drill gauge helps. We have a Drill Doctor too, but I'm usually too impatient to mess with it.

I use a belt sander at home to do this. A hand stone can be useful too.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/3/11 1:23 p.m.
redrabbit wrote: Im not a lumberjack...But I think Im ok... I see your application, but that wouldnt work with hardened drill bits. On a kinda related note, I was watching Mike Hukabee show and he was interviewing his wife. Subject; Habitat For Humanity, She helps build houses. Kinda neet.

If you say so. I do it all the time, but I guess it doesn't work.

I spent 10 years with HfH. Deeply loved what it was. Not too impressed with what it has become.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RVOAG3jwcpeTbahUi2tQt618i03Uu7x4iGTKxKEwjJxAQrbh2oN1HOBv9FBcMgtN