1 2 3
Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
10/21/14 11:57 a.m.

Sent in my mail-in ballot today

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/21/14 12:16 p.m.

I just got my mail-in ballot and need to return. This year Election Day coincides with SEMA.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/21/14 12:29 p.m.
wbjones wrote: I just wish there were candidates worthy of my vote either party

I cannot stress this enough: THE REASON YOU CAN'T FIND A WORTHY CANDIDATE IS THAT YOU ARE LIMITING YOURSELF TO TWO PARTIES.

A third-party vote is never a wasted vote if it matches your conscience. The only people who want you to believe it is a wasted vote are those in power who might get voted out. They do everything they can to make sure the competition has a tough time. DO NOT BUY THE LIE.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/21/14 12:32 p.m.

Oh, and the real way you can tell it's election season? Gas prices are way down...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/21/14 12:42 p.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: In reply to tuna55: So the only difference between him and the others running is he got caught?

Ed Zachary!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
10/21/14 12:44 p.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: In reply to tuna55: So the only difference between him and the others running is he got caught?

point being that even considering the third parties, nobody deserves to win

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/21/14 12:58 p.m.
Duke wrote: Oh, and the *real* way you can tell it's election season? Gas prices are way down...

…Exactly, if you plan your major road trips around election time, you’ll save a bundle.

Additionally, don’t buy vehicles that get poor mileage and do buy vehicles that get good mileage around election time to exploit the temporary price distortions caused by incumbents driving oil prices down in an effort to hang onto their seats.

I know, I know, politicians have no influence over gas prices, it’s just an astronomically remarkable fluke this happens with such regularity.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/21/14 1:34 p.m.
Duke wrote:
I cannot stress this enough: THE REASON YOU CAN'T FIND A WORTHY CANDIDATE IS THAT YOU ARE LIMITING YOURSELF TO TWO PARTIES. A third-party vote is *never* a wasted vote if it matches your conscience. The only people who want you to believe it is a wasted vote are those in power who might get voted out. They do *everything they can* to make sure the competition has a tough time. **DO NOT BUY THE LIE.**

I totally agree … I'M not who's limiting us to 2 parties … but the reality is that 2 parties are what we have … there have been many attempts over the yrs to get a 3rd party started … none have made enough headway to be able to sustain themselves … most can't even get enough support to get themselves on the ballot nation wide …

quite often I "throw" away my vote by voting for a 3rd party candidate … and usually no one cares … the one that was going to win the election wins anyway … for all intents and purposes I might as well not bothered … but what the heck … I do anyway (oh … and usually the 3rd party candidate is as big a crook as the other two … or at least would like to be )

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
10/21/14 1:35 p.m.

The Dem running for governor in MD is such a total joke, even the straw man the Republican party put up against him (Maryland's about as blue a state as they come) is only polling about 10 points behind.

As near as I can determine, Anthony Brown's entire campaign is, "I was the lieutenant governor, I served in the military, and, WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?????"

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/21/14 2:31 p.m.

The ads in Louisiana, as well as the election process, is hilarious. The evening of November 4th if we don't have a candidate that gets 50% +1 vote we go to a run off between the first and second candidate. That means we have fields with 15 candidates of multiple GOP, Dem, and 3rd party candidates.

Our Senate race alone has 2 Dems, 2 GOP, 1 Libertarian, and 1 No Party. It is a fun free for all.

The ads this year have been wierd. You can tell each side is trying to figure out what resonates with voters. In the last two weeks though it has come down to 2 camps. Incumbents with positive local track records and help me defeat "that guy"

Literally the campaign slogan has went to "Help us Defeat "that guy"". Not much mud right now just "Hey you hate that guy, vote for me we will beat them."

Strangest strategy I have ever seen.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/21/14 2:36 p.m.

Just a quick question for everyone here.

Why do you think the candidates are bad/good? This is making the assumption that nobody personally knows them and gets their perspective from ads/news/friends/the bum on the street corner begging for money to do an LS conversion on his Miata.

Just curious. The more I watch political communication and what happens with public mistrust it makes me very interested.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/21/14 2:38 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: The best part is all the stupid political ads on TV will go away for a while. It would be refreshing to hear an ad for a candidate that talked about what they would do if elected, rather than how evil their opponent is.
if there were a candidate out there that ONLY talked about what they would/will do, what they stand for … they'd get my vote … without regard for their politics … couldn't care less if they matched mine or not … as soon as you start talking about your opponents, you lose my interest … especially when it's easy enough to figure out that, while some of what you're saying is/could be true… you're really stretching/mis-representing your opponent

Indiana's governorship was won last time by an "Only Positive" campaign....Further proof that positive outweighs negative. Bonus points if you can guess the sides.

In reply to PHeller:

But Miata isn't the answer and never will be, that is why E36 M3 is the answer. E36 M3 can take your friends/family with you without catching a case of the gheys or being pointed and laughed at by everyone. E36 M3 doesn't need "Murican Muscle" to be improved, nor does it sound like a queefing whale when driving past. E36 M3 is the much better choice.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/21/14 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I prefer voting for the better person and who will do the best job. Party lines don't really matter as much as competence and willingness to actually do their damn job.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/21/14 2:53 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/21/14 2:54 p.m.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
10/21/14 3:31 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: I've been reading about the race for Illinois governor in the paper on a daily basis at work. ^ This. ^ Proof that you can lie, cheat, steal and/or buy your way into a bid for election. None of the berkeleying above, bastards.

That's literally the case in my congressional district - if for some reason I had wanted to be a candidate for the House here, I could have plunked down a $5000 filing fee earlier this year and been on the ballot right now. One party has a slot is wide open. Of course, the district is so heavily gerrymandered that about the only good it would have done if I'd signed up would have been to give some annoyed voters an alternative to putting Mickey Mouse as a write-in candidate. We've just got one candidate on the ballot for House of Representatives because apparently nobody else wanted to bother running against the incumbent, either.

I'm going to put in an early vote ballot this week. Maybe I'll vote for Mickey for the House.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
10/21/14 3:47 p.m.

Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed just as often, and for the same reason.

I personally refuse to vote for an incumbent. So it's always between the challengers for me. And If I don't like either, I'll write in my own name. It's not like I could do any worse, right? Sure feels less wasteful than writing in that evil mouse.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
10/21/14 3:53 p.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed just as often, and for the same reason. I personally refuse to vote for an incumbent. So it's always between the challengers for me. And If I don't like either, I'll write in my own name. It's not like I could do any worse, right? Sure feels less wasteful than writing in that evil mouse.

I mostly agree, except politicians start out filled with E36 M3.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
10/21/14 3:59 p.m.

As the GRM collective we should discuss and choose the best candidate for president in 2016. Maybe if we all share facts and come to a consensus, then vote that way we could make a tiny blip of a political wave.

Or maybe one of us should be on the ballot.

A Snorklewacker for every orifice and a Suddard for every office!

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/21/14 4:24 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: As the GRM collective we should discuss and choose the best candidate for president in 2016. Maybe if we all share facts and come to a consensus, then vote that way we could make a tiny blip of a political wave. Or maybe one of us should be on the ballot. A Snorklewacker for every orifice and a Suddard for every office!

DAN GURNEY! #bringingitback holy hell I just used a hashtag... #facepalm ... wait, dammit

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
10/21/14 4:47 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote:
Gah! No offense to you, but this attitude drives me nuts! In many cases there are Independent candidates, or Libertarian Party candidates, or whatever, even a write-in. If enough people vote for candidates outside the two-party charade, maybe we can initiate some much-needed change!
My third party guy is a convicted felon and reality tv star. He was in politics in this state before and left because if the whole "felon" thing.

That A hole shouldn't be allowed to run for anything.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
10/21/14 5:36 p.m.

The real answer to all of this is term limits. I personally think every political office should be limited to 8 years, no matter if it is federal, local or state. There should be zero career politicians, and no one should get benefits for life, except maybe the president. It will never happen, but if it did, you may see people more interested in the actual country than what they can line their pockets with, and those of their friends.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/21/14 5:38 p.m.

youre still forgetting coroplast day

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
10/21/14 5:48 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

Totally agree. Though I prefer a shorter term limit, 4-6 years, and only a single term at that. If you can't knock out your "special agendas" in that amount of time, they probably weren't a very good idea to begin with.

And no campaigning while you are in office. That's not your job, do it on your own time and your own dime.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
10/21/14 5:55 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

Definitely agree. frustrating part is that the ones with power to change term limits are the ones that have gains from no term limits

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ecj8wbSfDXj3o6xSdZDAxQSUXtpZ3zJTZH4KvjOai8hIAX0qPPU5mihYKXcE4att