slefain
slefain UltraDork
5/13/13 9:48 a.m.

In June I'm heading to the Mid America Ford & Shelby Nationals (http://www.midamericafordmeet.com/) in this:

My plan is to split the driving up into two days each way. Going out I'll head to Memphis the first day, sleep over, then head to Tulsa the next day. On the return trip I'll head from Tulsa to Nashville, sleep over, then head back to Atlanta.

So what should I do along the way? I've got more leeway on the way out to Tulsa than I do on the way back.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
5/13/13 9:48 a.m.

I guess my first suggestion would be to spell check my thread titles...

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/13/13 9:55 a.m.

If you have time, turn the drive up into 3 days, and then I'd break off I-40 at 23/16 (the Pig Trail, in Arkansas starts in Ozark, AR I believe) and take it North toward Eureka Springs.

Then when you get to Huntsville, essentially all roads North and west and a bit to the east are fantastic driving roads. You could go into Eureka Springs and have lunch, then head north out of town on 23 and through the Roaring River State Park, catch Hwy 90 West in Southern Missouri to Noel (great little piece of highway), then catch hwy 20 back into Jay, OK..........follow it until you get to 82 South into Spavinaw........between Spavinaw and Salina is another great stretch of road especially the first few miles out of Spavinaw, catch scenic 412 West out of Locust Grove and you'll be in Tulsa in about an hour from there.

Actually, you could still do this in two, just wake up Early from Memphis when you leave.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
5/13/13 9:56 a.m.

The dry rub ribs at Rendezvous in Memphis are fantastic.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/13/13 9:57 a.m.
fritzsch wrote: The dry rub ribs at Rendezvous in Memphis are fantastic.

We stopped there on our way to Nashville a few years ago. Very overrated BBQ in my opinion. Super cool building and atmosphere, but the food left the wife and I both wanting.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
5/13/13 10:00 a.m.

In reply to fritzsch: I had the brisket there last November ( I know it is not Texas) but it was very good. We stayed at the Peabody hotel wihich is kind of cool to watch the Ducks march through the lobby in the morning and evening.

Chris

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
5/13/13 10:03 a.m.

Jack's place in Nashville is some GREAT BBQ. Lane Motor Museum is a must-see as well.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
5/13/13 10:15 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Lane Motor Museum is a must-see as well.

Bugger, I've been meaning to hit the Lane Motor Museum. I don't think I"ll have the time though as the car will be picked up the day I leave Nashville. I really need to be back in Atlanta by mid-day at the latest.

I also love the fact that the first suggestions are BBQ related. You guys rock.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
5/13/13 11:06 a.m.

A Focus ST should make the Talimena Scenic Byway very entertaining. http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/

It's a bit out of the way but worth it you have the time. There are also plenty of hole-in-wall opportunities for foodie explorations.

coolusername
coolusername Reader
5/13/13 11:42 a.m.

in Birmingham, go to Barber motorsports park and check out the museam they got lots of cool motorcycles and race cars should take at least 3 hours, if you like nascar stop by talladega and see the stock car museam thay will take a few hours to, oh yeah, F a spell check.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
5/13/13 5:45 p.m.
slefain wrote:
DrBoost wrote: Lane Motor Museum is a must-see as well.
Bugger, I've been meaning to hit the Lane Motor Museum. I don't think I"ll have the time though as the car will be picked up the day I leave Nashville. I really need to be back in Atlanta by mid-day at the latest. I also love the fact that the first suggestions are BBQ related. You guys rock.

Jack's is really good. The first time I went there was with a co-worker. We walked in the the, uh, atmosphere was that of a roller skating rink snack bar. Paper plates, plastic wear, paper cups. I looked at him and, after looking around said "this is either going to be the best meal of the year or will make us sick." Thankfully it was the former. Now every time I go back to Nashville (Franklin actually) I go to Jacks.

Mental
Mental PowerDork
5/15/13 5:17 a.m.

While you are in Tulsa, on a weekeday go here; Pie's and Such They are closed on weekends

Also, the historic Rock Cafe is just down the road in Stroud. It is on Rt 66 and the owner is something of an inspiration for Sally Carrera in "Cars."

Finally, before you go, you need to experience the Sonic Center of the Universe

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
5/15/13 5:54 a.m.

The best BBQ IMHO is Top's, there several in Memphis and No. MS. If you want Ribs then Corky's is another good one. Too bad you aren't going this month, you could have possibly hit the Memphis in May barbeque festival.

ToplesS2
ToplesS2 New Reader
5/15/13 6:13 a.m.

On your trip out I'd suggest hitting Dreamland BBQ in Birmingham, near UAB just south of Downtown (assume you'll come in on I-20 and hit 78 to Memphis). In Memphis, Rendezvous has been hit or miss since Mr. Charlie passed away a few years back, but when they're on it's great. My current Memphis fave is Germantown Commissary. +1 on the Pigtrail detour - was on it a couple of years ago for the first time since college at UA and it wasn't quite as scary as I remember, although I've gotten more used to the Western NC mountain drives.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/15/13 8:21 a.m.
Mental wrote: Finally, before you go, you need to experience the Sonic Center of the Universe

Which happens to be in between two cool downtown districts with lots of drinking and eating to be had.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4OFt8pMhdzwQccfH4ChCc7sK1JLyO0ZCmtfY5pANW7M3E45o0jIs7AxkAr75827v