1 2
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/18/24 9:29 a.m.

Airports are busy places. Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta claims to be the world's busiest. I pass through there often, such as this morning.

When I went by this restaurant on my way to the gate of my next flight, I couldn't help but to think of Anthony Bourdain, who loved indulging in Popeye's whenever he could. Maybe he stopped at this very one en route to some exotic locale.

Do you think of these things? Better yet, who have you encountered at an airport?

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
7/18/24 9:39 a.m.

July of 1989, I was dropping my gf ( now my wife) at Midway Airport in Chicago. We ran into the great Muhammad Ali. Very cool dude. Never a huge boxing fan, but never missed watching him fight on Wide World of Sports

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/18/24 9:46 a.m.

I haven't run into anyone yet in my travels–at least that I was aware of–but my brother ran into Magnus Walker.

Big surprise: They talked about Porsches before my brother had to leave to catch his flight.

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
7/18/24 9:48 a.m.

I definitely think of things like that! 

Funnily enough, we were at the airport in Raleigh, NC, which is a smaller airport, we saw Chef Aaron Sanchez getting breakfast! I was watching the race behind him when I noticed, we didn't want to bother him cause his girlfriend was there, so I snapped this quick pic.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
7/18/24 9:49 a.m.

I've not seen anyone memorable, but I've eaten at that Popeyes. 

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
7/18/24 9:55 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

The Hartsfield-Jackson airport has the best Popeye's. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/18/24 10:02 a.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Do you think of these things?

To this point, my answer is yes. All the time.

Airport or not, I can't help but look at the other people around me and wonder what their life is like–where are they going? Where are they coming from? What are their friends and family like? Are they at a high point in their life or a low point?

And that's not even considering there are entire countries I'll likely never visit full of people I'll likely never meet living their own lives.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/24 10:33 a.m.

I fly out of Burbank frequently so I've encountered many notable people over the years.

Most recently, Ron Jeremy and Sally Field...not together but that mash up is an amusing thought.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/18/24 11:28 a.m.

Mike Ditka @ Chicago's O'Hare Airport - stopped him and mentioned his restaurant. He seemed annoyed when I called out; hey, Coach?

Mary Tyler Moore in Minneapolis - stopped her too.

I usually see people at the Nashville airport - Brooks/Dunn - walk that airport looking for people.  

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
7/18/24 11:51 a.m.

Evander Holyfield was on our flight not long after his own ear modification.  The entire plane was seated, 3 staff and Evander got on, then the door shut and the flight commenced.  He was easy to pick out from my seat in row 11.

It's funny watching humanity in a busy airport.  So many dress and act like they're celebrities.  Many celebrities probably act like normies.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/18/24 11:58 a.m.

I don't fly much, but I did spot Chip Foose at LAX a while back.   

Pretty easy to spot. He is a rather small fellow.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/24 11:58 a.m.

A few years ago, while passing through ATL, I saw Wayne, Jordan and Ricky Taylor. It was not long after that year's Rolex 24 hours at Daytona. I stopped them, said hello and told them that I am a huge fan of theirs!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/24 12:02 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
J.A. Ackley said:

Do you think of these things?

To this point, my answer is yes. All the time.

Airport or not, I can't help but look at the other people around me and wonder what their life is like–where are they going? Where are they coming from? What are their friends and family like? Are they at a high point in their life or a low point?

And that's not even considering there are entire countries I'll likely never visit full of people I'll likely never meet living their own lives.

Sonder! It's very surreal to think about everyone else's fully realized lives.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/24 12:06 p.m.

I bumped into Kim Deal at the Sub Pop store in Sea-Tac and was rather surprised and impressed that nobody recognized her. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/24 12:10 p.m.

As the late, great George Carlin said about being bored at airports, "YOU KNOW there is SPY at the airport.  Your job?  Find him!"

Gary
Gary PowerDork
7/18/24 12:25 p.m.

Not recently, actually 30+ years ago, saw these people in airports and was on the same flights:

PVD to DTW, creepy "Tiny Tim" (Tiptoe Through the Tulips)

Also PVD to DTW, Cab Calloway big band leader and a role in the Blues Brothers movie

And then there was this one, known as the "Cat Woman" on a flight from ATL to PSP. I sat across the aisle from her and she offered me her Delta Airline snack. I declined. 

And coming home from a business trip in Cincinnatti Johnny Bench was sitting in first class. He was retired from MLB at that point.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/18/24 12:45 p.m.

Traveling from Ft Hood TX, connection in Atlanta, saw my friend Jerry.

Work related, I was with my boss; she's 35, 5'10" blonde.  đź™„Jerry entering the ramp "HEY, who's the Babe?"

Jerk

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/24 12:48 p.m.

Saw "famous" Caribbean weatherman Joey Stevens in the airport in Barbados one time:

Also ran into pro surfer Brian Talma on a flight in Florida one time. But then I'd normally spot him a few times per year, so I'm not sure that counts...

Only big Hollywood celebrities I ran into were in a supermarket so I guess that's all I got.

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
7/18/24 12:50 p.m.
Crxpilot said:

Evander Holyfield was on our flight not long after his own ear modification.  The entire plane was seated, 3 staff and Evander got on, then the door shut and the flight commenced.  He was easy to pick out from my seat in row 11.

It's funny watching humanity in a busy airport.  So many dress and act like they're celebrities.  Many celebrities probably act like normies.  

That reminded me that I ran track in Highschool and Evander Holyfield showed up to watch his son! His son was much faster than me lol

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/24 1:11 p.m.

My brother and I once had travel that put us at the same airport at the same time, so we arranged to meet up and grab food. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
7/18/24 1:35 p.m.

Had dinner with Lawrence Taylor at some crappy burger joint in Houston airport.

Otherwise nothin, probably walked past a lot without paying attention.  

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/24 1:41 p.m.

We wound up sitting right next to Henry Winkler on a flight from SLC to West Yellowstone.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/18/24 3:08 p.m.

Joe Piscopo back in his Sat. Night Live days....

johndej
johndej UltraDork
7/18/24 3:36 p.m.

Always, I love to check out all the other departures and the folks waiting to go where. Rolling around Dulles/Atlanta/Detroit/Etc. it's fun to see all the international ones coming and going, like dang - all those people will be in Paris/Tokyo/Santiago/wherever tomorrow.

I've run into a bunch of random people I know unexpectedly while traveling. Limiting to an airport setting, anyone from my boss/co-workers in ATL, high school buddy in Paris, and my cousin and his wife being on the same final flight back home from trips neither of us knew the other was on. Nobody famous in an airport setting that I recall.

I do make it a point to watch any and all Anthony Bourdain content for an area I'm going to and have been to a ton of places he's been as a result. I've also stopped by that Popeyes. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/18/24 4:11 p.m.

I always seem to get placed in shuttles and fancy taxi services leaving airports with cool people that I know nothing about. 

My favorite was I got stuff in traffic with Tony Dungy going to the Indiana airport and he and someone across from me argued for like the whole hour ride about Football. Like deep cut stuff. At the end they looked at me and asked if I had any opinions and I had no clue who these people were and said I don't really watch TV or sports. The other passenger brought me up to speed in the airport. 

But I used ot have to fly to Vegas on Fridays once or twice a quarter. I always got put on the GLITTER flight and got to see a number of "adult" actors up close and personal. Very chill people and most were extermely articulate. Again had no clue who they were and they had to tell me what industry they were in. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LONc02c3STLTeXdr59t1UGr8fqKo1bC1iMeTnLEj8X1Q41XZeilUDhZmcefGcCvF