In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, yes it does.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
1/10/23 2:59 p.m.
NickD said:

Yes, yes it does.

Holy hell.  A V-2?  Some serious big Briggs and Stratton energy there.  

EDIT:  Anyone know if the HD trucks (2500/3500) have been saddled with cylinder deactivation, yet?

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/10/23 3:04 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Our 3500 Ram 6.4 has cylinder deactivation. Putting it in Tow Mode turns it off.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/10/23 3:06 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
NickD said:

Yes, yes it does.

EDIT:  Anyone know if the HD trucks (2500/3500) have been saddled with cylinder deactivation, yet?

No, an inline-twin. The GM 2.7T is an inline-4.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/23 5:58 p.m.
NickD said:

Yes, yes it does.

Okay, that makes me feel a bit queasy.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/10/23 6:14 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Are you saying they have no internal bumpstop/restrictor?  That would surprise me.  I used to be involved in design of this type of mount back in early/mid 2000 and I remember buying all of them available at the time and cutting them in half (sectioned vertically).  All of them had a bumpstop & restrictor to my knowledge.

It may not be a case of VCM destroying them as it becoming so much more apparent they are destroyed on VCM models.  When its running on 3 cyl it shakes like crazy.

Also, the cost of replacement if you have VCM is eyewatering:

Oooooof that is expensive.

And yes, nothing internal to the mount locks the two halves together.  The ones I have bothered to investigate just had the upper mounting point end in a cone of steel that bonded to the rubber in the mount.  When it inevitably broke, it was restrained from trying to jump through the firewall or radiator by a small enclosure and/or a bump strap across the top.

It would have been a lot better if Honda hung the engine axially and used the "side" mounts strictly for torque control, as is normal modern practice.  I think Honda did it this way so the engine was mounted to the subframe to reduce NVH a little.  The V6s do have axial mounts but they do literally nothing to support the weight of the engine: you can unbolt them for timing belt or other service and nothing shifts.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/23 7:40 a.m.
NickD said:
volvoclearinghouse said:
NickD said:

Yes, yes it does.

No, an inline-twin. The GM 2.7T is an inline-4.

It is advertised as having it but I have never, ever, noticed it on mine at any speed. I think that it is GM marketing vapor.

ERG
ERG
4/29/23 11:05 a.m.

Pretty sure the 6.2L drops up to 4 cylinders depending on driving conditions. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/29/23 1:43 p.m.

An FYI thanks to thread bump.  I found out that quite a few of these:

have gasoline fueled 2 liter fours.

My driving impression was that I thought that Mercedes found a way to quiet down the 3 liter Diesel V6, as it scoots remarkably well, feels like the other Sprinters I have driven with the V6 Diesel.  Then I opened the hood and was surprised.

I later found that this particular van regularly gets loaded with a few thousand pounds of flooring, as part of its mission in life. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/23 4:07 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

Yes, yes it does.

Okay, that makes me feel a bit queasy.

I agree, a 2cyl truck at times just seems.....wrong

engiekev
engiekev Dork
7/15/23 9:10 a.m.

2cyl truck??? I'm guessing you mean 2L.

Relevant news, powertrain warranty increasing to 100k, on the 2.7L only.  This is the 430ft-lb version.

The name "TURBOMAX" is quite ridiculous.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/07/2024-chevy-silverado-turbomax-engine-gets-longer-warranty/

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/15/23 11:35 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I later found that this particular van regularly gets loaded with a few thousand pounds of flooring, as part of its mission in life. 

They even have them as ambulances- the turbo 4s were still faster and much better on maintenance than any of the newer V8 diesel rigs we were still running, but their real advantage (to me) was their suspension wasn't well... 25 year old truck suspension. Patients actually didn't mind being in the back of them.

I however, was a super special boy paramedic and corporate wanted my opinion on the twin turbo V6, likely because they knew I was a car guy and I knew every squad and their eccentricities. It was actually very fast, even for the wee woo wagons laugh which is why they didn't buy them.

engiekev said:

What other dumb crap can we put behind that name? FIGHTMASTER? BRIKKFIST?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/15/23 6:29 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Yep

Take-outs are showing up in the salvage yards now.  This would be a heck of a repower option for a 90's S10 or even a 00's Colorado or Canyon. 

Never mind an S10, I want one in a track-T with a suspension set up for actual track use.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
7/15/23 11:15 p.m.

I think maybe swap it into a Fiero? Dunno, where would the intercooler go?

engiekev
engiekev Dork
7/16/23 8:05 a.m.
EricM said:

Top mount in engine bay like an RS200.  Group B Style Fiero??

https://historicmotorsportcentral.com/2015/08/03/eightiesmadness-inside-the-mighty-ford-rs200/

EightiesMadness – Inside the mighty Ford RS200. – Historic Motor Sport  Central.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
7/16/23 8:35 a.m.
engiekev said:
EricM said:

https://historicmotorsportcentral.com/2015/08/03/eightiesmadness-inside-the-mighty-ford-rs200/

EightiesMadness – Inside the mighty Ford RS200. – Historic Motor Sport  Central.

Maybe pass the air through the a/c condenser.

It's worth a shot. Who's got a motor and a complete wire harness? Oh, and also an 88 fierro? I guess we will need a well equipped shop too.  Prolly need a very understanding spouce, some friends with spare time, too.

The local gm dealer would also need a very complete and knowledgeable parts department. 

I guess a small pile of money.

That's not too much to ask, I suppose

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/23 9:52 a.m.

Quasi can correct me if I've got the number wrong, but IIRC we averaged 16.8 mpg pulling MonZora from Detroit to Gainesville and back, open trailer, generally running about 68 mph.

I would have traded 1 mpg for 5 mph but it's not my truck. :-)

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/23 2:46 p.m.

The total trip was 16.8, the run from the top of Tennessee to Taylor the cruise was set at 75mph. In hindsight I think that we could have done the same both ways down the mountains and shown a negligible affect on trip mileage. 

For a light duty truck with a four cylinder engine I think it's pretty amazing. 

7/18/23 4:14 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

For a light duty truck with a four cylinder engine I think it's pretty amazing. 

totally

engiekev
engiekev Dork
7/19/23 10:09 a.m.
EricM said:
engiekev said:
EricM said:

Maybe pass the air through the a/c condenser.

It's worth a shot. Who's got a motor and a complete wire harness? Oh, and also an 88 fierro? I guess we will need a well equipped shop too.  Prolly need a very understanding spouce, some friends with spare time, too.

The local gm dealer would also need a very complete and knowledgeable parts department. 

I guess a small pile of money.

That's not too much to ask, I suppose

I think you would find the biggest challenge would be controlling the engine, the stock ECM will not work. This is the problem with any modern engine - to run the OEM ECU you need a "crate motor" cal.  Ford offers this for some of their ecoboost but I don't think GM does for 2.7L.

Otherwise, you'll need to be a pioneer and figure out how to run a GM GDI engine with Motec/Haltech or other.  Might be easier to just to convert to PFI or carburated!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/19/23 12:12 p.m.
engiekev said:

2cyl truck??? I'm guessing you mean 2L.

Relevant news, powertrain warranty increasing to 100k, on the 2.7L only.  This is the 430ft-lb version.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/07/2024-chevy-silverado-turbomax-engine-gets-longer-warranty/

No, he is saying a 4 cyl running cylinder deactivation to 2 cyl at times feels wrong.

This thread is interesting. I have a 17 3.0 Ram 1500 ecodiesel I bought new and over 6 years I've averaged 26 mpg with it since new with zero issues despite their reputation. I have towed 10k lbs, -40f to +100f, makes 450 ft lbs with a tune. I was considering looking at the 2.7t trucks but prices arent great so I'm going to stick with what I've got currently. If I was in the market though, that motor wouldn't scare me at all unless I towed heavily all the time.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/19/23 12:16 p.m.
EricM said:

The same as all the other turbo rear/mid engine cars. Top mount, off to the side (mr2), liquid to air. Not up front through the A/C condenser. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/19/23 2:58 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Bristol Cars did an A/C based intercooler, and my mind keeps thinking of an air/water intercooler that uses a tank with an evaporator in it rather than a water/air heat exchanger.  And if you use a little antifreeze in the water, you won't have a 32F low side limitation like an A/C system has.

3/3/24 11:55 a.m.

Looking for real-world updates on the GM 2.7T trucks, as AW has decided her next car will be a truck. She favors GM (sorry, Alfa), and puts a lot of weight on Consumer Reports.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/3/24 1:30 p.m.

We're mostly just seeing evaporative emission purge pumps failing, but those are now under a special coverage and there's no serious failure, just a CEL for pump underspeed.

Oil pan and oil coolers dripping oil aren't uncommon, even at relatively low mileage.

We've seen a couple with injector issues, but not widespread. Those are a real bitch to change though.

I had one a few months back that broke a timing chain at 14k miles while going down the road without warning. That was real strange, only damage was it pranged a few valves. No clue why the chain broke, but when I called it in to GM TAC, they didn't seem too shocked

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z6j8kUYZ6rZEpGSovCyhO7qNbOskxtOnqXvRnMJAKnvxOJmZxyMDS8iGAWFK22Sa