1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 ... 398
NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:03 p.m.

So, despite it being 10 degrees out on Saturday, I made the decision to grab my camera and go chase the Adirondack Railroad on a Utica-Remsen run. The decision was made mostly on the logic that there was snow on the ground this weekend. It's supposed to warm up and rain this week, which means it won't be around for next weekend, and with how little snow we've had so far, we may not get anymore this winter.

I got out to Utica early to catch the #3753 idling away alongside the tower at Utica Union Station on the head end, with RS-18u #1835 hooked up and running on the other end. I saw grateful for that, since the #3573 is not terribly photogenic when running cab forward, and even less photogenic when running long hood forward.

That tower is how riders for Amtrak or Adirondack trains get from Track 2 over to Track 1 (yes, Track 2 is closer to the station than Track 1, which causes no end of confusion with Amtrak riders). You climb the stairs, cross the tracks on a glass-sided pedestrian walk bridge and then go back down the tower. Now, in it's heyday, there were three railroads serving Utica Union Station (DL&W, NYO&W, NYC) and there were 20 tracks at the station, which has obviously dwindled. Also, rather than a tower, there were tunnels under the tracks that you had to walk through. My father says he barely recalls walking through the tunnels as a kid in the early '60s and he said that by that point they were pretty awful; dirty, dark, noisy, and badly leaking water.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:04 p.m.

An eastbound Amtrak Empire Service train arriving on Track 2 behind a P32AC-DM dual-mode Genesis.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:09 p.m.

I also noticed that there was a black and yellow locomotive down in the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern's yard at the east end of the yard. This is GP9 #1267, originally built for the Great Northern and previously of the now-defunct New York & Greenwood Lake. It was purchased by an Adirondack volunteer a couple years back during the NY&GL's liquidation and has spent a couple years stored at the Delaware, Lackawaxen & Stourbridge while trying to get it ready to move via CSX. Well, it's arrived on the property now, although it needs mechanical work before it's ready to run.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:11 p.m.

The #3573 gets underway, rolling out of Utica Yard and huffing blue-gray smoke that fogged out the yard.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:13 p.m.

Passing by the depot at Holland Patent, NY, which has, at various times, served the Utica & Black River Railroad, the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad, the New York Central Railroad, and the Adirondack Railroad

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:16 p.m.

Having climbed Remsen Hill, the Cabin Fever Limited is on the final stretch as it runs along the spine of a large fill towards Plank Road.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:16 p.m.

The #1835 in tow, having crossed the southern crossing of Plank Road.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:18 p.m.

The #3573 belches a nice plume of smoke as the engineer aboard (Larry Girard, I believe) grabs another notch, approaching the north crossing of Plank Road. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:23 p.m.

I arrived in Remsen to see three snowmobiles arrayed across the track with a crowd of people standing around, and at first I thought maybe it was some sort of protest by the snowmobile crowd, who still want the line north of Remsen (Snow Junction, technically) to be converted to trail as well. On closer inspection, this turned out to be plain ol' stupidity. They had tried to ride in the gauge, despite there not even being enough snow to cover the railheads, and had managed to wedge the ski of one of the sleds in the frog for a switch on the passing siding. I was actually getting ready to run down and flag the train at one of the crossings further down, but they arrived before I could. Fortunately, due to a series of closely-spaced grade crossings and the fact that they were stopping at Remsen Depot, as well as the fact that one grade crossing was froze up and the brakeman had to swing down and flag the crossing, they were moving at a very low speed and stopped short. The snowmobile was eventually freed and they got out of the way after a brief delay. They were fortunate it happened here, and not somewhere else where they move at a much faster speed and aren't preparing to stop.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:24 p.m.

An old New York Central wooden caboose on display at Remsen Depot. The short cupola was a trait of NYC cabooses that ran on the eastern end of the line, designed to fit the short clearances that they had.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:27 p.m.

Remsen Depot. Remsen was once where the Adirondack Division and the RW&O/St. Lawrence Division met, and the original depot was built for the Utica & Black River in 1855. It served until 1964, at which point NYC had discontinued passenger stops at Remsen, and the depot was torn down. This faithful recreation was constructed in 1999, when the Adirondack Scenic Railroad was getting serious about getting the line from Utica-Thendara open, and has served ever since. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:34 p.m.

For years, I had assumed this water tank, which is on the same plot of land but quite distant from the depot, was a municipal water tank that was just labeled for Remsen Depot. It wasn't until reading Taibi's Silver Rails Through The Heart Of The Park that I learned that this is actually a steel water tank that the New York Central had constructed to service steam locomotives headed in five different directions; north up the U&BR/RW&O to Carthage, south down the U&BR/RW&O to Utica, north up the Mohawk & Malone to Montreal, south down the Mohawk & Malone to Herkimer, or down the M&M onto the Hinckley Branch to Hinckley. The NYC had a wooden tank there originally, then added this large steel tank to serve all the locomotives arriving and departing.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:35 p.m.

The #3573 arriving at the Depot after the snowmobile was cleared from the track.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:37 p.m.

Folks disembark from the train. I imagine that they ran push-pull so that they didn't have to unbury and thaw the switches for the passing siding here in Remsen.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:38 p.m.

Herkimer: 27.7 miles. Montreal: 210.3 miles

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:40 p.m.

The dome car is originally from the Union Pacific, used on the City Of Portland.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:44 p.m.

In profile, the RS-18u looks strongly like a C420. The #1835 was built for the Canadian Pacific as a high hood unit, then later received a chopped hood with those big block numberboards in the early '80s. It was sold to the New Brunswick East Coast Railway in 1998, and then came to the Adirondack in 2011. These were the MLW equivalent of an Alco RS-11, with 4-axles and an 1800hp 12-251.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:45 p.m.

Heading south, crossing the northern crossing of Plank Road. Plank Road is bow-shaped and crosses the rail line twice in fairly short succession.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:45 p.m.

Crossing the second Plank Road crossing.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:47 p.m.

Crossing over Route 12 and passing by Trenton Station Liquors in Barneveld, NY. It's 16 miles out of Utica, as denoted by the milepost on the right.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:50 p.m.

On final approach to Utica, crossing the Harbor Point Road crossing. That large tan building to the right is the new Adirondack Railroad shop, which was part of the deal that they got for losing the old Lake Placid Branch. The state took the line from Tupper Lake to Lake Placid and in return overhauled the line from Thendara to Tupper and built them this shop building. From what one volunteer said, the #1845 is currently indoors at the shop and receiving some work, since it was giving them grief in the late summer and fall of last year.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 12:52 p.m.

Kind of a rare combination: an operational M420W and a GE P42DC in one photo. This was the westbound Maple Leaf behind Amtrak #96.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 1:01 p.m.

A plethora of Alcos in sight as a CSX freight heads west. You can just see the nose of the #1835 to far right, and then C424 #2400 behind it. Farther down, that's Alco S-1 #9411 in the green, black and yellow, and then New York Central RS-3 #8223 sitting ahead of the B&O observation car. I have no clue what the deal is with the B&O observation car, I've never seen it move or seen anyone around it. The #9411 has never really operated for the Adirondack. It was the US Air Force switcher that was used at Griffiss Air Force Base in Rome, NY, and after the air base closed it hung around there until 2011, at which point it was basically gifted to the Adirondack. They repainted it, and it supposedly had a great-running Macintosh & Seymore 539 engine, but needs some work on the traction motor leads and the governor, and so it's sat at Utica for a long time. Honestly, with MA&N looking at repairing a GE 44-tonner for their Utica Yard, I'm not sure why they didn't trade or sell the #9411 off to the MA&N instead. As for the #8223, that's owned by a private owner and was a staple of the Adirondack Railroad for years, but got tied up in a dispute between the Adirondack and the owner over who was responsible for maintenance and it's been parked since 2016. It wears MRLX reporting marks and was supposedly going to Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley, but hasn't ever moved. A couple of the Adirondack volunteers on Facebook have hinted at maybe there being some sort of agreement for it to return to operation on the Adirondack.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 1:03 p.m.

I hung around at Utica for a little while because the eastbound Lake Shore Limited was running 3 hours late, and I was hoping that maybe it would arrive with an NS or CSX diesel on the headend, like I caught a year ago when it was running way behind due to a failure with one of the P42DCs. Well, I'm guessing it was just weather out of Chicago that delayed it, because it arrived with the usual two P42DCs. The steel awning I'm under dates back to Utica Union Station's construction in 1914. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/22/24 3:39 p.m.

So, why does the milepost at Barneveld reference Utica....

when the milepost at Remsen references Herkimer? Especially when Herkimer isn't served by the Adirondack Division and is 13 miles southeast of Utica?

Well, that has to do with the patchwork quilt nature of the New York Central Railroad. The New York Central as most people know it was formed by the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad purchasing or leasing a number of component railroads, which in turn were often leasing other segments. It was called New York Central Systems for that very reason. Just off the top of my head in New York State, the NYC had the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg, the Mohawk & Malone, the Adirondack & St. Lawrence, the Lake Erie & Western, the New York, West Shore & Buffalo, the Auburn & Syracuse, the Rochester & Auburn, the Ulster & Delaware and many, many others. New York went all-in on the post-Civil War railroad boom, and Commodore Vanderbilt had his New York & Hudson River Railroad mostly gobble up these various smaller railroads, both to expand the reach of his NYC&HR and to eliminate possible competition. This is going to get a little confusing, so I'll try to bold the important names.

The Black River & Utica (U&BR) was begun in 1853 and was to connect Utica to Carthage. It departed Utica, swinging north west to around the west side of Deerfield Hill and passing through Marcy, before coming back northeast near Holland Patent. It then continued through Trenton Falls, Barneveld to Remsen, where it again took a northwest tack, heading up through Boonville, Lyons Falls, Lowville and ending in Carthage. Some of those names are obviously locations that I just mentioned in my posts above, and it is this section, south of Remsen that has milepost markers that reference Utica. Not long after construction and the start of service, the U&BR collapsed and was reorganized as the Utica & Black River (U&BR) in 1861. On April 14, 1886, it was leased to the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad (RW&O), which ran from it's westernmost point at Niagara Falls to as far southeast as Rome and as far northwest as Massena Springs, mostly covering the northwestern portion of the state. On the map below, the eastern portion of the RW&O is shown in the red lines, while I have highlighted the U&BR in blue. You can also see Herkimer to the southeast of Utica on the New York Central.  By 1891, RW&O became a subsidiary of NYC and on April 12, 1913, the RW&O was formally merged into the NYC, becoming known variously as the RW&O Division or the St. Lawrence Division

Now, the Herkimer connection. In 1880, a 3-foot narrow gauge railroad was constructed for the 16 miles between Herkimer and Poland. It was known as the Herkimer, Newport & Poland Railroad (HN&P) and it's southern terminus was at Herkimer, with a connection to the New York Central. It was routed north-northwest through the Kuyahoora Valley, crossing the West Canada Creek multiple times and stopping at locations like Newport and Middleville.

Enter Doctor William Seward Webb. Webb, who was president of the Wagner Palace Car Company and had married a Vanderbilt, was quite wealthy and spent time vacationing in the Adirondacks. Webb saw the value of a railroad that ran up through the middle of the Adirondacks, since the RW&O skirted the western edge on it's route along the St. Lawrence, while the D&H's line skirted the eastern edge along Vermont. It would allow people to access and experience the remote wilderness, provide service to the many private camps and small settlements, and could continue on to Montreal. Webb began acquiring large parcels of land, some along the route of his planned railroad, while others he traded to the state for parcels he needed. Webb was on a time crunch, since there were those lobbying to the state to cut off any large scale development within the park, such as a rail line straight up the middle, to preserve the unspoiled wilderness. The date for this "Forever Wild" status to go into effect was 1894, and Webb was planning his railroad in 1890.

Webb was to build two railroads: the Mohawk & Malone (M&M) and the St. Lawrence & Adirondack (StL&A). The M&M would extend from a southern connection with the NYC and go north to Malone, NY, while the StL&A would go from Malone north to Montreal. Since speed of construction was of the essence, because it had to be done before the state shut down development in the Adirondacks, he purchased the HN&P and placed it under the ownership of the M&M, converted it to standard gauge, and straightened the line to remove some of the crossings of West Canada Creek. The line was then extended northwest through Gravesville (named for ancestors of actor Peter Graves), Trenton Chasm, and Prospect, eventually reaching Remsen, where it met the U&BR/RW&O. A branch was also constructed at Prospect Junction, in Prospect, that headed west to Hinckley, becoming known as the Hinckley Branch.

From Remsen, the M&M continued through Forestport, Otter Lake, Thendara (at the time known as Chain-Of-Lakes and Fulton Chain), Old Forge, Big Moose, Sebattis, and Tupper Lake Junction. At Tupper Lake Junction, the New York & Ottawa (NY&O) came west from Ottawa and terminated at Tupper Lake. This would later become the NYC Ottawa Division but it was never even remotely busy and was abandoned in it's entirety in '37, which resulted in the Junction part of the name being dropped. The M&M then continued north to Lake Clear Junction, where the the Lake Placid Branch, which was owned by the D&H and originally a 3-foot gauge line known as the Chateaugay Railroad, went east to Lake Placid. The D&H came in from the east at Plattsburgh and ran west to Saranac Lake, while the NYC would use the line in reverse, getting on the D&H trackage at Saranac Lake and running east to Lake Placid. Eventually the D&H abandoned their line from Plattsburgh, terminated the line at Lake Placid and sold the whole thing to the NYC. The M&M continued on through a series of increasingly remote locations; Paul Smiths/Gabriels, Plumadore, Rainbow Lake, Loon Lake,  Mountain View, Owl's Head, Whipplesville before hitting Malone. At Malone, the line crossed the Rutland and the StL&A took over and headed north over the border, again operating in very remote territory. The Canadian end of the line is little documented, even in Taibi's book. but passed through Huntingdon, St. Timothee's, and Valleyfield before ending at Adirondack Junction. From there it hopped on the Grand Trunk, and later the Canadian Pacific to access Montreal.

The whole line, both the Mohawk & Malone and the St. Lawrence & Adirondack, from Herkimer to Remsen to Malone to Adirondack Junction, was all complete in 1892 and operated under the StL&A banner but was sometimes erroneously called the Adirondack & St. Lawrence, even in official company paperwork(!) despite there being another, unrelated, unconnected railroad operating as the Adirondack & St. Lawrence. Because Herkimer was the southern terminus and Malone the northern terminus, all the mile markers referenced distance from Herkimer or Malone. In 1893, Webb leased the railroad to the New York Central (it was controlled by his in-laws after all), although he maintained considerable authority. And in 1913 it was merged into the New York Central, becoming the Adirondack Division.

After the New York Central took over, Utica was made the southern terminus, but all the mileage markers north of Remsen retained their Herkimer references. Presumably, the NYC didn't want to spend the time removing all the old mileage markers and making new ones referencing Utica, and they weren't inaccurate, since the line to Herkimer was still intact and seeing service. But in 1931, the New York Central yanked up the branch from Prospect Junction to Hinckley. In 1942, they then removed the line from Prospect Junction south to Poland. This left a 2.8 mile segment from Remsen south east to Prospect Junction, and a 17.3 mile segment from Herkimer northwest to Poland. In 1965, the Remsen-Prospect Junction was removed, the same time that NYC was ending service from Utica to Lake Placid. The old Herkimer-Poland line, the original HN&P, was actually active until 1972, seeing somewhat regular freight moves, but when Hurricane Agnes blew out a bridge, Penn Central couldn't afford to replace it, and the line was officially abandoned, although it wouldn't be ripped up until 4 years later.

As for the rest of the line, in 1961, the M&M was abandoned between Malone Junction and Gabriels. The line to Lake Clear Junction became a spur and the Saranac Branch became part of the division. The northern end of the line was basically shaped like a Y at Lake Clear Junction, with one line going to Gabriels and one going to Lake Placid. The NYC used Canadian National trackage rights to access the StL&A and reach Montreal. In 1964, the NYC also severed the old U&BR/RW&O line when they abandoned trackage between Lyons Falls and Lowville. In 1965, the couple miles from Lake Clear Junction to Gabriels was abandoned, leaving just the eastward hook to Lake Placid, but that year the railroad ceased operation to Lake Placid as well, and they abandoned the entire line in 1972, with the state taking ownership in 1975. Of course, then in 2020, the state would tear up the active Lake Placid Branch, from Saranac Lake to Lake Placid, as well as the line from Tupper Lake to Lake Clear Junction, where the Lake Placid Branch began.

But, yes, all that is to explain why the Adirondack Railroad uses Utica as a reference point south of Remsen, but uses Herkimer as a reference point north of Remsen, even though it doesn't connect to Herkimer anymore and hasn't since 1942.

1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 ... 398

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KKcOnxTzQGg4AYSqp2ifMyP0KWSzdAhqDqFDcaiwXAxDVzyMAefjE5TzcVOt6CJC