1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
7/9/10 10:16 a.m.

Good racing all around. I hopped back online late to catch some west coast racing and had a good race, but I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I'd already raced there a few hours earlier.

I'd like to see videos from some of last night's action. I saved a few, but haven't watched them yet. I had a super dramatic drive-around save (on Amalfi?) when somebody spun in front of me. Made me feel like a hero!

I couldn't figure out the settings, but the West Coast hillclimb worked great. Staggered start, scored by individual lap time. Super fun, as was the Spec 911 RS race at the 'Ring.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
7/9/10 10:35 a.m.

If I remember correctly, there's a C5 Z06 engine swap for the Chevy Aveo.

The start of that race at Tsukaba was a bit of a mess. I avoided two or three accidents I think (pretty much all caused by the AI), and then got tagged a little bit exiting T1. I just needed more laps!

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
7/9/10 1:07 p.m.

Had my controller not died twice on Catalunya, I think I would have had a fighting chance for first place. Awesome night, guys! The highlight for me was tossing the Daytona around Fujimi Kaido.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/9/10 1:32 p.m.

There were a few glitches last night (I completely boneholed Sperlo after his car disappeared then reappeared right in front of me) but overall the racing has been fun and getting closer each week. Racerfink is still a monster, however. If he's not using hax0rs he's some kind of human computer or something.

jg

N Sperlo
N Sperlo New Reader
7/9/10 2:43 p.m.

Good racing last night. I didnt do great until we were racing the old Ferraris. I seemed to grasp them real fast.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
7/9/10 2:54 p.m.
Hoop wrote: Had my controller not died twice on Catalunya, I think I would have had a fighting chance for first place. Awesome night, guys! The highlight for me was tossing the Daytona around Fujimi Kaido.

So THAT'S who you are. You're fast.

I still say the BMW X5 was a goofy choice for Mulsanne. Seemed effective, though.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
7/9/10 4:58 p.m.

The X6 that came out in the last download pack is actually a pretty fun car/almost truck/or is it really a XUV to drive. As long as you don't have to look at it.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
7/9/10 5:42 p.m.

I'm still molasses slow, but the company is good. It's fun hearing racerfink or friedgreencorrado tell a story while they're driving off in the distance. I usually have to concentrate too hard to be telling tales and driving at speed.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
7/9/10 6:56 p.m.

I tried finding a video of Derek Bell doing some in-race reporting from the business seat in one of the At Speed Volvos when he ran World Challenge.

The one from Texas Motor Speedway, where he's talking to the guys up in the booth on the opening lap is priceless. He's telling them what the start is like, then mid-sentence, gets pushed off track (by Gentilozzi, I think). "Well, a bit of a nudge there", pulls back on track on goes on about what he was talking about like nothing ever happened.

Oh, and driving from the couch, with the a/c going and the tv at a reasonable volume, is WAY more relaxing than being in a Spec Miata at Sebring in August, when it's 104 out with 99.9% humidity. For an hour and a half.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
7/9/10 7:04 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Good racing last night. I didnt do great until we were racing the old Ferraris. I seemed to grasp them real fast.

It was completely opposite for me, I think Fred Flintstone's car had effective brakes than that dang Ferrari did. Still it was fun racing

*Edited for clarity

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/9/10 10:18 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Good racing last night. I didnt do great until we were racing the old Ferraris. I seemed to grasp them real fast.

I had the same problem, really..(although I did run mid-pack with the 75 cars). I think you have the same thing as me-we can drive OK, but just haven't figured out the dang tuning yet. Didn't I actually win one of the Ferrari races?

friedgreencorrado
7/9/10 10:36 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I'm still molasses slow, but the company is good. It's fun hearing racerfink or friedgreencorrado tell a story while they're driving off in the distance. I usually have to concentrate too hard to be telling tales and driving at speed.

Well, usually racerfink & Tom roar off away from me, I seem to have enough most nights to keep other folks behind me, so with 2nd 4000ft in front of me and 4th 3000ft in back of me, I get bored and start to talk too much.

I didn't run 3rd very long last night in the West room, tho. Man, I gotta start all over with tuning that car.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
7/9/10 10:46 p.m.

I was holding my own at Tsukuba for the first 5 laps - for the first 2 laps I think I was only about a second down from Tom - then it went wrong, when you showed up in my mirror and the video red mist took over. After I ran wide and you went by I think I spun 2 or 3 times trying to hang with you. I kept trying to brake just a little later. Some day I'll learn to drive my own race.

friedgreencorrado
7/9/10 11:10 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I was holding my own at Tsukuba for the first 5 laps - for the first 2 laps I think I was only about a second down from Tom - then it went wrong, when you showed up in my mirror and the video red mist took over. After I ran wide and you went by I think I spun 2 or 3 times trying to hang with you. I kept trying to brake just a little later. Some day I'll learn to drive my own race.

Yeah, I'm not as quick as a lot of people, but I've noticed that if I treat it like a real car (just staying within its limits), instead of a videogame, I usually beat a couple of folks that go flying off trying to lay down hero laps. OTOH, I stink at suspension tuning, and often get rear-ended because I brake so early everywhere. That's why I tell everyone on the headset "hey, watch out for me, I'm not brake checking on purpose! And yeah..as these damn things get better & better, the "virtual" emotional states get a hell of a lot closer to the ones I had back when I was racing for real. Including the red mist.. You ain't the only guy who's put the car off in a Forza race.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
7/10/10 5:38 a.m.

This all sounds like too much fun. I'm buying me an Xbox as soon as I can!

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
7/10/10 7:44 a.m.

Do it! Amazon has them for a great price now, I just ordered mine a few days ago.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/10/10 8:34 a.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Do it! Amazon has them for a great price now, I just ordered mine a few days ago.

I missed what you paid for it in the other thread. Holy cow. That is a ridiculous deal.

jg

N Sperlo
N Sperlo New Reader
7/11/10 1:18 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
I had the same problem, really..(although I did run mid-pack with the 75 cars). I think you have the same thing as me-we can drive OK, but just haven't figured out the dang tuning yet. Didn't I actually win one of the Ferrari races?

Its got to be just one thing in the tuning that i have ass-backwards and as soon as i find it ima tear erryone up!

flash_e_gt
flash_e_gt
7/12/10 12:03 a.m.

Hey gents, just saw this on facebook, I've been looking for some guys that actually drive in "real life" to race with. Pumped to see you guys are running Spec races (keeps the time required to mod cars to a minimum). I think I saw another page with everyones gamertags, but just in case I'm "ekowmensah" feel free to add me. I need to get my keyboard out so I can add everyone here. Looking forward to doing some racing.

friedgreencorrado
7/12/10 2:18 a.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Do it! Amazon has them for a great price now, I just ordered mine a few days ago.

Okay, when Tommy finally shows up, we need to do a "spec" E30 M3 race after the "official league" run. I like those cars. And I've got a GRM "Box Flares Club" decal made, I just can't remember if I've uploaded it to the Storefront yet.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
7/12/10 5:59 a.m.

That's an awesome idea!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo New Reader
7/13/10 1:22 a.m.

Apparently the only styling options for a Mini is to make it uglier... Whoda thunk it?

racerfink
racerfink Reader
7/14/10 12:21 a.m.

Everybody getting ready for the 'Ring?

The DLC that came out today wasn't the Jalopnik pack, so no 2002 for Thurs.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
7/14/10 12:35 a.m.

Still trying to keep shiny side up. May need to add more Italian decals like fragile and theesa sida up for the alfa

racerfink
racerfink Reader
7/14/10 1:24 a.m.

Yeah, the difference in the ride height between front and rear on the Alfa makes it a tough car to set-up. There's something like a 1.5" difference. I had to really be careful getting on the gas, otherwise it wouldn't transfer weight fast enough and get very loose.

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
43R9snsLwZOiYyK3g6AEIZdW9Pbn1dRWtMeMUZWa6cWaZBVKk1oBRlSDawwAehOd