1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 43
racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/14/10 9:02 a.m.

I'm gonna try to make a video of the Sebring race today. Hopefully, it won't take four hours like last time.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/14/10 8:19 p.m.

Here you go. Forza REALLY needs to come up with something better for making videos. This took a LOOOONG time to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDXjFfz3Vkc

failboat
failboat New Reader
8/15/10 9:38 a.m.

Cool video. I tried uploading a clip once to see how it works....took 20 minutes. That has to take forever if you are doing a bunch of short clips to piece together.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/15/10 1:22 p.m.

Nice! Sebring was a lot of fun. How on earth are you & Tom braking so late? I saw the two sec per lap I'm behind y'all-most of it's in my braking! Seems like when I go in that deep, all I get is gravel on my exit..

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/15/10 2:12 p.m.

How you apply the brakes is much more important than how hard you apply them.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/15/10 3:00 p.m.
racerfink wrote: How you apply the brakes is much more important than how hard you apply them.

Thanks Mr. Miyagi!

friedgreencorrado
8/15/10 11:16 p.m.
racerfink wrote: How you apply the brakes is much more important than how hard you apply them.

Hmmm. I've been leaving the ABS on (because I drink a lot), but I've been trying to brake without actually kicking the ABS on. I guess I need to go practice some more. Maybe I need a "force feedback" trigger on the left side?

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/16/10 12:14 a.m.

If you're using assists, you're losing time! ESPECIALLY the braking line. It's always conservative, and sometimes tells you to brake in places you can go flat out.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
8/16/10 9:59 a.m.

Jeez, I miss all the BEST weeks

friedgreencorrado
8/16/10 10:42 a.m.
racerfink wrote: If you're using assists, you're losing time! ESPECIALLY the braking line. It's always conservative, and sometimes tells you to brake in places you can go flat out.

I'm not using the line (always hated the thing in every game I've ever seen it in), just the ABS. If I can grab the box for awhile after chores are done, I think I'll just go ahead and turn it off..and practice a bit. I'm still way too agressive with the left trigger, maybe having the car plow straight ahead will teach me a lesson!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
8/16/10 12:10 p.m.

I use the racing line almost all the time, but I find it especially helpful on tracks I'm not completely familiar with. (Different versions of Sebring last week is a great example.)

JG and I have joked that it's the next best thing to peripheral vision, but I think there's a nugget of truth in that. In real life, I can pick up braking markers or sight lines much more easily than in the game.

RacerFink is 100% correct about the line being conservative, though. There are lots of "red" corners that can be taken WFO with the right line.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/16/10 12:18 p.m.

Yeah, I need to lay off my dependance on the braking line...sometimes I have found it to be too optomistic, and go off into the grass anyway.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
8/16/10 12:32 p.m.

On the tracks I've driven IRL I have imaginary markers I remember from the tracks. Still remember my instructor at Road America saying "aim for the porta-potty" coming down to turn 5. As far as the ABS - I know traction and stability control will slow you down (unless it's the aussie v8s - then I just do donuts without traction control), I suspect the ABS lengthens your braking or makes it a titch less efficient.

friedgreencorrado
8/16/10 6:43 p.m.
oldtin wrote: On the tracks I've driven IRL I have imaginary markers I remember from the tracks. Still remember my instructor at Road America saying "aim for the porta-potty" coming down to turn 5.

Tom Fowler was one of my instructors at my first drivers' school. He absolutely pounded it into my head to never pick anything that can be moved easily as a braking marker. He did it by asking corner workers (he was popular with us, so my buddies did it) to moved their parked cars between sessions. Yeah, first time I put the car off at Seven, I learned it real good. I'm actually afraid that if I ever get back in a real car again I'll forget that lesson, because the stuff in a videogame doesn't change. I've been using portapotties, I've been using the rubber on the line, and even shadows sometimes!!!!

oldtin wrote: As far as the ABS - I know traction and stability control will slow you down (unless it's the aussie v8s - then I just do donuts without traction control), I suspect the ABS lengthens your braking or makes it a titch less efficient.

That "titch" is costing me 2-3sec a lap. OTOH, I enjoy a few beers running with you guys..maybe that's where it comes from.

FULL DISCLOSURE: If you must drink and drive, play Forza!

EDIT! Re: Drivers' School..That should be "our heads". Tom was still running the SSC Civic back then, and all us FWD IT/SS guys were his students. SCCA schools ain't Bondurant-nobody gets a private tutor!

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
8/16/10 6:58 p.m.

So, are we done with the old-school cars? I raced that Range Rover with you guys because I don't have a Miata built to spec. I guess I should get on that.

friedgreencorrado
8/16/10 7:06 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I use the racing line almost all the time, but I find it especially helpful on tracks I'm not completely familiar with. (Different versions of Sebring last week is a great example.) JG and I have joked that it's the next best thing to peripheral vision, but I think there's a nugget of truth in that. In real life, I can pick up braking markers or sight lines much more easily than in the game. RacerFink is 100% correct about the line being conservative, though. There are lots of "red" corners that can be taken WFO with the right line.

Tom, are you playing on a standard definition or hi-def set? I don't have an HD yet, and always thought that would be the peripheral vision I'm missing in a game. Another thing I wish I could do in Forza is move the seat back from the windshield a lil' bit (I play cockpit view). A lot of the time, the A-pillar blocks what little bit ahead I can see around a corner. I've also noticed that F3 is pretty dedicated to HD in its basic design. Watching it on a big SD TV, I have a lot of trouble reading my lap times in that tiny font.

As far as actually using the line goes, I guess that's your competitive nature coming out..it is a tool, and can be exploited in some cases. I got in the habit of turning it off playing Forza 2 online (FM2 Adjustable Public Lobbies FTW!) to get rid of the Halo players.

flash_e_gt
flash_e_gt New Reader
8/16/10 7:16 p.m.

The thing that I couldn't quite figure out is how I was getting chased down on the straights so easily....we are all running the standard final gear!

I spent a ton of time the last couple of nights playing with my tune, and took 2 seconds off my mazda laguna seca lap time. I'm hoping that will translate to the next race with you guys.

Also I didn't know that we were going to be showing video! I need to create a unique livery now!

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
8/16/10 8:24 p.m.

Corner exit speed. Seems like every mistake or being off the fast line costs about a second with the miatas. Driving the slow cars fast is a bigger challenge. From the first series you can see a bunch of integra type Rs on the leaderboards - all the cars around them have higher PIs and are 4wd golfs and celicas. There's some fast guys we run with.

flash_e_gt
flash_e_gt New Reader
8/16/10 8:28 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Corner exit speed. Seems like every mistake or being off the fast line costs about a second with the miatas. Driving the slow cars fast is a bigger challenge. From the first series you can see a bunch of integra type Rs on the leaderboards - all the cars around them have higher PIs and are 4wd golfs and celicas. There's some fast guys we run with.

GOT THAT RIGHT!!!

friedgreencorrado
8/16/10 8:43 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Corner exit speed. Seems like every mistake or being off the fast line costs about a second with the miatas. Driving the slow cars fast is a bigger challenge. From the first series you can see a bunch of integra type Rs on the leaderboards - all the cars around them have higher PIs and are 4wd golfs and celicas. There's some fast guys we run with.

x2. Momentum, Flash_e. Start with "slow in, fast out" when you practice, and work your way up. Remember, we're trying to race cars, and not "play Forza".

BTW: oldin's right about the leaderboards as well. The first 3AL series was actually "spec" Integra Rs. The guys winning the thing were just that much better than the rest of us. When you see one of our guys in an Integra on the leaderboard, it means they're seriously kicking it. If I can get on the box later, I'll throw the Integra on the storefront so you can pick it up. It'll have "GRM" somewhere in the name. It'll be free. Just go repaint it so I don't get Deja Vu..

I was lucky when we started running SM..I already had a design for the Miata (we'd been running stock ones after the league race, so I made it an old SCCA Showroom Stock car! ) that I could paste over the Spec one I picked up over at racerfink's place.

friedgreencorrado
8/16/10 8:54 p.m.

Dammit, the thing won't let me sell the league Integra for free! $1K. It's called "GRM 3AL".

EDIT: The Miata spec we're using is racerfink's "sm forum".

friedgreencorrado
8/16/10 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Hoop:

Search tuning setups on the storefront to "sm forum", that's the one racerfink gave us.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/16/10 9:04 p.m.

You need to change the first line from "Sell" to "Free" (I think it is).

friedgreencorrado
8/16/10 9:12 p.m.
racerfink wrote: You need to change the first line from "Sell" to "Free" (I think it is).

Thanks, dude. I'll try again. BTW, I'm getting on right now, if anybody wants to practice/try the new spec/kick my a$$...

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/16/10 10:44 p.m.

Ran 2 and a half hours tonight in the 'Production' class public lobby. Hopefully, it will result in a Ferrari 250 TR from Turn 10, since one of them showed up in the room while I was running at Sebring Club in a Cobalt SS.

Quite a few good races, won at least half of them, 2nd in a few others. And a few where I got hammered on the first turn. But overall, not bad.

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 43

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IWDFm6Ta4BOGZs7aARA7hSZbTxPdLBFkpjGsaGCZdaJtsJYCFv7XicjVn4YsH9hE