I ought to be in the rooms tonight!

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
8/26/10 7:37 p.m.

Who's hosting the early room?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/26/10 7:46 p.m.

I'm in. I might be a few minutes late, but I'll try not to hold things up too long.

jg

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
8/26/10 8:01 p.m.

I'm on and ready to go.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/26/10 8:13 p.m.

Well, it's not letting me accept the invite, or join the room. Not even giving me the option to join the session in progress. Stupid computers. Someone throw me anothr invite.

jg

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
8/26/10 8:48 p.m.

At least I got one race in before I couldn't join the room.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/26/10 9:21 p.m.

Had fun. got pissed, but had fun. I need to learn how to go from one hot lap to a string of consitent laps. I had at least 3 HUGE mistakes per race. One of said mistakes took me from first to 6th in the Road America race...

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
8/26/10 9:24 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: Had fun. got pissed, but had fun. I need to learn how to go from one hot lap to a string of consitent laps. I had at least 3 HUGE mistakes per race. One of said mistakes took me from first to 6th in the Road America race...

It must have been in the first few corners which are always a cluster. I held back until after the smoke cleared before I tried making any moves.

Good racing guys. Brotus7

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/26/10 9:31 p.m.

Nope, I got a little wide at turn 5 on the second lap, and then dove to the inside at turn 6 trying to outbrake and I had an oversteery spin.

ZOOMX5
ZOOMX5 New Reader
8/26/10 10:43 p.m.

Had fun in the early room even though I suck bad with the spec miatas. I keep over driving them into a drift out of corners. Sorry again BobOfTheFuture for the bump and spin at Mugello. For what it's worth it looked awesome from inside my car!

LagunaRoadster

failboat
failboat New Reader
8/27/10 6:16 p.m.
Brotus7 wrote: It must have been in the first few corners which are always a cluster.

Everyone knows the entire race hinges on how far you get ahead in the first turn.

Have we been racing with simulation damage and wear or just cosmetic?

Even after 10 laps my tires only heat up halfway in the spec miata which is sometimes frustrating.

I would be down for an endurance race some night with at least 1 mandatory pit stop, but I suggest a short track (25+ laps), something like Tsukuba, or Suzuka East. Relatively easy to drive tracks, short drive to the pits if some critical damage happens, and I like having to negotiate traffic. Maybe I am crazy.

flash_e_gt
flash_e_gt New Reader
8/28/10 11:00 a.m.
failboat wrote: Even after 10 laps my tires only heat up halfway in the spec miata which is sometimes frustrating. I would be down for an endurance race some night with at least 1 mandatory pit stop, but I suggest a short track (25+ laps), something like Tsukuba, or Suzuka East. Relatively easy to drive tracks, short drive to the pits if some critical damage happens, and I like having to negotiate traffic. Maybe I am crazy.

I have been set up the lobby the other day on the mid setting for damage, I actually think we should be running simulation though.

I also really like your idea of setting up a track where you actually have to drive through traffic. Because as you said whoever makes it through the first three turns normally comes out on top.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/28/10 11:18 a.m.

Damage certainly wouldn't help that though, until people realize that there's probably someone running right beside them on the opening lap. Also, if you go off track even a little bit, or don't hit the apex just right, KNOW that someone has a run on you. Don't pull back onto the line when you're going 20mph slower than the guy behind you.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
8/28/10 8:18 p.m.
ZOOMX5 wrote: Had fun in the early room even though I suck bad with the spec miatas. I keep over driving them into a drift out of corners. Sorry again BobOfTheFuture for the bump and spin at Mugello. For what it's worth it looked awesome from inside my car! LagunaRoadster

Its cool Laguna. Most of my bellyaching about that was rooted in the fact that I was annoyed I had to brake earlier then you consistantly, haha. Got the vid of it? I'd dig seeing the spin.

+13 on what Fink just said

If you go off, assume you are being passed, dont swing back on and across. If you out brake yourself, assume it. If you go loose, pick a side and ride it out till the corner is over. We are racing for fun, and if you lose a position for any of that, and are the faster guy you get to do the most fun thing in racing next- a good, clean pass.

Basically assume unless you jackrabbited the start, that you have to follow the bend of the first turn. You can't late/early apex a turn with 3-4 other cars in it. That, and use your right stick

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
8/28/10 8:25 p.m.

Also I agree that short/high lap races would be fun. We can even do multiple classes- 4 GRM SM and 4 pre-75 cars would be sweet. If we can get past the tire heat issue, a mandatory pit in even our 10 lap races I think would be fun.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/29/10 12:02 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Damage certainly wouldn't help that though, until people realize that there's probably someone running right beside them on the opening lap. Also, if you go off track even a little bit, or don't hit the apex just right, KNOW that someone has a run on you. Don't pull back onto the line when you're going 20mph slower than the guy behind you.

Yeah, there's got to be some kind of compensation for the lack of "real world" factors. I've heard others say that leaving the line on compensates for the lack of ability to look far enough down the road. Personally, I like the damage on "limited" (or whatever the middle setting is called), that setting seems to "split the difference" pretty well between penalizing somebody that makes a big mistake, and not penalizing a lil' contact just because your fingers are too busy shifting to flick the right stick & look around.

RF's right, though..treat it like a real car. Realize when you've made a mistake, and try not to overcome it immediately. Most of our races are long enough to reel somebody back in just like you'd try to do in real life.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/29/10 7:39 a.m.

I tried using the braking line while I was trying to learn Fujimi Kaido and Rally di Positano. The thing I learned most was, I wasn't learning the track at all that way. I was looking so much for the red line to pop up, that I wasn't paying attention to things on the side of the track that I could use as brake markers. Once I turned the line off, I learned the tracks within a few laps each.

Also, I'm using the 2nd Chase camera angle. It's the best compromise of all the camera angles, I've found. You can see further down the track, and see the most around your car without having to use the right stick. I can use the Y button pretty easy, since my right thumb is already in that area..

friedgreencorrado
8/30/10 12:47 a.m.
racerfink wrote: I tried using the braking line while I was trying to learn Fujimi Kaido and Rally di Positano. The thing I learned most was, I wasn't learning the track at all that way. I was looking so much for the red line to pop up, that I wasn't paying attention to things on the side of the track that I could use as brake markers. Once I turned the line off, I learned the tracks within a few laps each. Also, I'm using the 2nd Chase camera angle. It's the best compromise of all the camera angles, I've found. You can see further down the track, and see the most around your car without having to use the right stick. I can use the Y button pretty easy, since my right thumb is already in that area..

Interesting stuff about the camera angles. I've been using cockpit just because I like pretending I'm still racing.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
8/31/10 4:58 a.m.

I use the "hood" view. cause like Fried, I like to pretend im racing, and the view feels more real to me. seems to almost make up for not being able to look around

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
8/31/10 9:39 a.m.

I've never gotten the hang of the chase camera views. I use cockpit.

failboat
failboat New Reader
8/31/10 10:40 a.m.

i have been stuck on the bumper cam since forza 1.

forza 1 didnt have a hood view, and was the only way you could get a rear view mirror in that game if i remember correctly.

friedgreencorrado
9/1/10 12:25 a.m.
failboat wrote: i have been stuck on the bumper cam since forza 1. forza 1 didnt have a hood view, and was the only way you could get a rear view mirror in that game if i remember correctly.

I've avoided bumper view (except for replays! ) just because it's so hard to look far enough ahead with it. The car follows the eyes, even when you got a stick instead of a wheel, right?

I'm with oldtin on the "chase" view..I started console racing with GT2, and discarded the chase view in any game because I kept looking at my car, instead of looking at the berkeleying road. If racerfink can run with a chase view, that's just because he's a much more mature guy than I am.

I may go like BobOTF in my own future..hood view might eliminate some of the same kind of vidgame distractions for me, and help me to pay more attention to my braking points (the reason I'm so slow is because I brake way too early everywhere we go).

racerfink
racerfink Reader
9/1/10 12:56 a.m.

Yeah, if you're looking at the car, it won't work too well.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
9/1/10 11:43 a.m.

I am a big fan of the cockpit view, yes on some cars the sightlines are terrible, but when the car starts to rotate I can detect it sooner and correct for it faster.

friedgreencorrado
9/1/10 9:26 p.m.
racerfink wrote: Yeah, if you're looking at the car, it won't work too well.

Yup! I figure if I tried a chase view in Forza, it'd be even worse. Since I can actually paint `em up, I'd spend even more time looking at that.

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 43

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2N84ORBTnygOqmJFS1xc92pxmymJPkv7KzyEmY0YYOYFbVnZZ4R1zoXSjmlEKCbF