1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/7/19 1:40 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

So, finally got around (last week... -_- ) to taking pictures of the box I received. Unfortunately with the show coming up Saturday I'm always scrambling around taking care of something at home, so I have to get creative to post this from work (which is challenging since I can't directly access the pictures in any place I've got them)... So here's hoping this works.

Here's the box as it arrived- not terribly heavy, but hey', it's certainly not light either. I didn't immediately recognize the zip code, but it looks to be from near where I called 'home' before taking the transfer out to Kentucky coming up on 14 years ago: southern CT.

Opened up so the first layer of contents can be seen.

First layer unpacked- a promotional bottle of tire dressing, a polyester lunch bag, two Subaru fan resistors (with a note one might be good), a push-rod replacement kit for a small engine (with 2 bent pushrods), and a drink coozie from Danbury, CT (which confirms my assessment on the zip code).

I honeslty have NO idea what these are exactly other than shell casing welded/soldered onto pins. Something used for reloading the shells? Some kind of drug paraphenalia I'm not familiar with?

Stickers! Magnets! And... resistors???

More Subie parts- used front brake seals, what looks to be a side marker light, a BOV? with a broken-off vacuum nub, and a rather nice valve stem tool. Whoever send this definitely is in to Subarus... or just has lots of the parts for them lying around!

Probably the most surprising part of this box- a set of -working- DeWalt 18v tools- impact driver, drill, 2 batteries, and a charger. Tested it out and they appear to work just fine- note on one of the batteries says that one battery is in better condition than the other. A much more valuable set of tools than what I included in the box I sent! I already have my own set with both of these, but if the impact works well I may take it with me to the junkyard instead of my current one. Thanks!

Kind of neat little compact interchangeable bit driver, what looks to be the starter switch for some kind of industrial motor, and if I'm not mistaken (I'm 2+ decades from having been actively involved with anything R/C) a motor from an RC car/plane/etc, given it looks a lot different than I remember perhaps one of the newer brushless ones?

This was pretty cool- included in this box was the box the sender themselves recieved last year- it was apparently too damaged to use to actually send things but was definitely very cool to have included... I wish I were half as artistic enough to have done something like this (may have to pull in the Dancer to help next year, she's WAY more artistic).

A set of what I assume is correct are disc brakes from a bicycle.

Several promo sheets (signed) for two Lotus racecars.

And finally- a Porsche Panorama magazine(?) and a an old MGB users manual.

Definitely some interesting and different things! Haven't been able to figure out exactly who sent it, but thank you!

I I know who had you, I had them last year! I did the box you got (I'm actually flattered that got saved) and that motor is a traxxas velineon something. I threw a mamba in the truck that came out of, and I burned up the esc- so I wasnt going to use it. Traxxas gearing and a working esc should let you put a rustler/slash to 70mph on a 3s lipo- if that's your thing. 

wawazat
wawazat Reader
1/7/19 2:20 p.m.

I recognize those brake discs and know the former owner.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/7/19 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

The box was quite cool, I'm really glad it was included. I'll have to see if there's some way to use it next year- I know that I did some reconstructive surgery to the box I received last year from HQ so I could send it on to my recipient this year, so I may be able to figure out a way to use it (or get creative and include it in some way).

I figured it was an RC car motor based on the form factor and the brand... though in my day (that being the late 80's/early 90's...) I had more Kyosho or Associated cars but there were Traxxas ones around, and I remember just enough to be able to translate what you said. :P I sold my last car/radio some 15 years or more ago though, and while I've toyed (no pun intended) with getting back into it I don't have enough time for the hobbies I currently have. :/

wawazat
wawazat Reader
1/7/19 2:25 p.m.

Random thought on the gifts.  As I expected going in to this, I got some great stuff that I'll use and some stuff that I doubt I ever will.  Lurking as long as I have, I *think* I have some items others here could use based on reading threads.  In my case its the GM TBI unit.  I can't see me ever using this though I bet others here, maybe on the Naughty or Nice list or not, could probably use.  I feel bad sitting on this until next New Years to move it down the road to it's next unsuspecting victim.  I'd love to see this be put to use by someone here.  Not sure how that might be viewed by the group.  Any thoughts?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/19 2:36 p.m.
wawazat said:

Random thought on the gifts.  As I expected going in to this, I got some great stuff that I'll use and some stuff that I doubt I ever will.  Lurking as long as I have, I *think* I have some items others here could use based on reading threads.  In my case its the GM TBI unit.  I can't see me ever using this though I bet others here, maybe on the Naughty or Nice list or not, could probably use.  I feel bad sitting on this until next New Years to move it down the road to it's next unsuspecting victim.  I'd love to see this be put to use by someone here.  Not sure how that might be viewed by the group.  Any thoughts?

I see people offer parts here for the cost of shipping all the time.   Perhaps a post in the for-sale area would be of help to someone?

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/7/19 3:22 p.m.

A package was received in Ann Arbor today!

Pics of the grand opening will be posted this evening:-)

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/7/19 4:38 p.m.

Some crap showed up on my doorstep while I was at work today.

Based on the  art work decorating the box, I think I know who it's from..... (Hint: It's not from Mickey Mouse)

Unboxing will happen when SWMBO gets home, so she can partake in the fun. (Plus I need a photographer)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/19 5:04 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I’m pretty sure I know who sent that one!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/7/19 5:36 p.m.
daeman said:
Robbie said:

I'm also stumped by this. A piece of carbon fiber? It looks like it might be the blade in this drawing...

The carbon fiber blade is a regift, from memory it was something printing related. 

I don't know why, but seeing some items I sent like two or three years ago re-gifted makes me SO HAPPY! The postcard should be from me and the carbon fiber bit is from a doctor blade from a giant industrial paper machine. The blade runs the full 35' width of the machine and scrapes against one of the big rolls that the paper moves over and scrapes any build-up off.

Who else loves seeing re-gifting?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/7/19 5:50 p.m.
Woody said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I’m pretty sure I know who sent that one!

Maybe it was batmobile Jones. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/7/19 5:59 p.m.

I believe the marine radio shown earlier is something I sent out a couple years ago.  It certainly looked right anyway.  Maybe in a few more years it’ll land with someone who can use it as intended. wink

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/19 7:11 p.m.
Mezzanine said:
daeman said:
Robbie said:

I'm also stumped by this. A piece of carbon fiber? It looks like it might be the blade in this drawing...

The carbon fiber blade is a regift, from memory it was something printing related. 

I don't know why, but seeing some items I sent like two or three years ago re-gifted makes me SO HAPPY! The postcard should be from me and the carbon fiber bit is from a doctor blade from a giant industrial paper machine. The blade runs the full 35' width of the machine and scrapes against one of the big rolls that the paper moves over and scrapes any build-up off.

Who else loves seeing re-gifting?

I’m all for the regifting except i can probably use something i sent evan last year that he regifted this year

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/7/19 7:34 p.m.

Oh!??!

A wild box appeared!

And it has stuff in it.

Edibles:

What look like the worlds biggest guitar strap knobs, requisite decal, and an assortment of metric hammers:

Scratchy and slicey hammers

:

Some light reading to tide me over until my subscription starts to arrive:

And a final pic of the whole haul:

Thanks secret GRM Santa from NC!

daeman
daeman Dork
1/7/19 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

I hear you, it's so cool seeings stuff I sent out reappearing again laugh, i actually managed to include something from each of my previous gifters. Yours being the cf and postcard, the little plastic box came from ECM and the Mazda spigot bearing came from Ross D last year.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/7/19 7:41 p.m.

Meanwhile, anyone heard from Robbie? Last I heard he was going to give the vegimite a crack..... hopefully he hasn't gone down with vegimite poisoninglaugh

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/7/19 7:55 p.m.

I came home to a box on the porch! Seems the magic of Real Duck Tape was enough to ward off the porch pirates. (Good to know that no ducks were harmed, I was concerned) 

All the way from Poughkeepsie NY, one of my favorite place names.

Oooohhhh...

Some cool hot wheels cars, a Chevy wheel center, a mopar cartridge filter, and a 10mm deep impact socket...

Walkers shortbread cookies, Blipshift socks , a folding Allen key set, and a tire repair kit..

Mmmph mmble gmm..nom.. mm. Sorry, good cookies. A fold up Bus Bank and OMG! STICKERS!!!!!

Got some cool stickers here! Blipshift, radwood, modine, BP, and some NY souvenirs.

And last but not least, this years Foldy Bus Bank with the one I got from Wally last year!

Thanks GRM Santa from Poughkeepsie! Gonna wear those socks this week...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/19 7:58 p.m.
daeman said:

Meanwhile, anyone heard from Robbie? Last I heard he was going to give the vegimite a crack..... hopefully he hasn't gone down with vegimite poisoninglaugh

Hahahahaha! My fault. I haven't tried it yet. I could get into the excuses but they are really just that, excuses.

No excuses tomorrow morning. Haha.

Woody
1/7/19 8:12 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

For many years, that impact gun was referred to as "The Greatest Tool I've Ever Owned". It still has a lot of life in it. Both have made cameo appearances in a bunch of marginally famous, semi-epic, though likely unfinished build threads, most of which were wiped out by the great photobucket debacle.

Those are Powder Dips that I acquired in a big box of crap at the estate sale of an old precision machinist. They're used for handloading your own ammunition. Gunpowder is measured by weight. When you repeatedly measure out a specific weight of powder, it should occupy a fairly consistent volume. Once you have established that volume, you can duplicate the proper amount of powder for a round of ammunition with an appropriately sized scoop. Empty shells were cut down and soldered to a wire holder. One full scoop of powder lets you quickly load each shell to the same level. For guys who used old school (non-digital) scales, it was probably more accurate too. But unless you know the specific powder and bullet they were designed for, they are pretty much useless. The guy who made them was probably pretty talented and interesting. I wish that I had met him before he passed away.

I hope that impact gun sees lots of action in the junkyards of Kentucky.smiley

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/19 8:14 p.m.

My box came from Stafford, CT.   Super GRM points if you can identify the car that made my fingernails so dirty. 

I did some cyberstalking to see if I could figure out who it was before I opened the box. I was pretty positive I figured it out. As it turns out, that research was completely unnecessary. I called my wife in and told her I was going to unbox the mystery box. She was very excited.

We have two microfiber towels, 3 paint brushes, a new roll of electrical tape, an exhaust clamp (which I will most likely need very soon), zip ties, fastener bowl, some nice picks and a clamp.

My wife said she's going to steal the clamp. She had her eye on the picks, too. I'm going to have to move those to the garage before they walk away.

It was at this point my wife scolded me for trying to put things on the bed, so I had to get one of my gym towels. We've got a big exhaust tip (used), a 30 amp 240 breaker, an S5 RX-7 shift knob, a concrete anchor/screw, a turbo. 

A TURBO? Sweet.

and the dirt game for PC. I've never played that, I think I'll have to remedy that soon.

Lastly, one issue of Sport Compact Car, two issues of RX Tuner, a Ring sticker, and SCCA sticker, a Zoom-Zoom sticker, a Koni sticker, and ACT sticker, an Xact sticker and two G-Force stickers.

Thanks, Wonko! Our Season was great, and I hope yours was, too. I'm really happy with this, and I absolutely did NOT go on Craigslist to look for another RX-7 or Miata  to put the shift knob in, because no sane adult would do such a thing.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/7/19 8:20 p.m.

Remembering the unboxing from last year:

I started to prepare for tonights activities:

Hoping for a quick and easy opening, I gave the swiss army knife a try:

Nope.  Didn't cut it, So I stepped up a notch, to the Gerber:

No, luck with this one either sooooo.....

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/7/19 8:33 p.m.

That still wasn't cutting it, so I carried the box out to the garage and grabbed the the Stihl.

Finally got it open!

The right tool for the right job  wink

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/7/19 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I'm not sure the stihl was the right idea. You probably need a new chain now. Good thing I have the factory app on my phone and can tell you what you need. 

Woody
1/7/19 9:03 p.m.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I tested that R/C motor with one of those DeWalt batteries right around this time last year!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/7/19 9:09 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I'm not sure the stihl was the right idea. You probably need a new chain now. Good thing I have the factory app on my phone and can tell you what you need. 

True...

So I've been planning this "chain-saw un-boxing stunt" for a few weeks now,,,,, but then you went and threw a wrench in my plans: you sent me a true work of art disguised as a container.  Did this stop me? Nope, just made me work harder to pull it off.  So I peeled off the shipping sticker and placed it on a spare box I had laying around to create a "stunt double" box for the destruction trick.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/7/19 9:14 p.m.

The unboxing crew and my partners in crime with the stunt double box destruction.  ( we had a lot of laughs diggin' into this thing)

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bUuHqV9bgCuMSNyT214BOgP7RNwIs5fVThWw6zyFFKQPDiHbBTsACNHMsLegceJu