1 2 3
STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/23/22 9:36 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

240 calories!  OMG

It's 20 fluid ounces, so that's pretty much the same calorie content per floz as normal coke (or almost any non-diet soda)... and about half as much per floz as beer. :)

Here's the label for 20oz of original Coca-Cola:

Coca-Cola 20 oz. bottle | Meijer

Nutritionally, it's literally just fizzy water with tons of sugar added.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/23/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

That's what they are calling the current batch of chemicals in a soda now. 
Back when "sodas" came out they were just fizzy water with a ton of sugar (actual refined sugar).

Of course, some, like coke has a few other "special" ingredients. 
They were not really good for the human body, even then. The list of chemicals that replaced those "original" , are even worse for us!!!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/22 10:27 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

So is it the sugar or the fizzy water that makes Coke such a great paint stripper?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/22 10:38 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

When they came out, Coca-cola...had cocaine in it.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/23/22 10:39 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I'm going with the phosphoric acid as the main reason.

Coca-Cola targeted in another lawsuit over phosphoric acid

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
8/23/22 10:49 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

I don't get it.  What does 'Dream Flavored' mean?  Is this some pop culture reference?

It's all marketing.

They create a mental image, and sell you that FEELING!

Has little to do with their product, it's all mental imagry.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/23/22 11:03 a.m.

What it is, is Diabeetus in a bottle.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/23/22 11:22 a.m.

I can tell you that the space-flavored Coke (Starlight, was the name I think) made some interesting Jack & Cokes. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/23/22 11:38 a.m.

Unpopular opinion - I like it. It's got sort of a mango/pinesol thing going. Also, I only drank the zero version.  Unrelated - I enjoy gin a great deal. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/23/22 1:23 p.m.

Just tried the Zero version, other than the the whiff or NyQuil on opening the bottle, to me it tastes much the same as regular Coke Zero..  Not great, but not awful either..

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 1:32 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I don't get it.  What does 'Dream Flavored' mean?  Is this some pop culture reference?

Tastes like Nyquil, apparently.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/23/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It does not taste like NyQuil. It tastes like the special bedtime hot cocoa I used to get as a.....wait. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 1:38 p.m.
STM317 said:
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

240 calories!  OMG

It's 20 fluid ounces, so that's pretty much the same calorie content per floz as normal coke (or almost any non-diet soda)... and about half as much per floz as beer. :)

Here's the label for 20oz of original Coca-Cola:

Coca-Cola 20 oz. bottle | Meijer

Nutritionally, it's literally just fizzy water with tons of sugar added.

HFCS gives you more sugar for the same amount of sweet, so they really glop the stuff in.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/22 3:01 p.m.

I've gone from drinking a 2 liter bottle of regular Coke a day (years ago) down to a can or 2 a day. I miss it so much. I was much happier then.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/22 12:14 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It does not taste like NyQuil. It tastes like the special bedtime hot cocoa I used to get as a.....wait. 

You have some smart parents.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/24/22 12:27 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to 03Panther :

When they came out, Coca-cola...had cocaine in it.

Is that why I put the special ingredient in quotations? Maybe the name the original marketing people came up with was also a clue?

'Course there were other things that had their own "special" ingredients at the time. Baby formula, lots of stuff. Still not as bad as the chemicals today. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/24/22 1:47 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

IIRC, the original formula included cocaine, or more particularly the leaves(?) of the plant it derived from. I think. Anyway, it was on purpose. The story is supposedly the inventor was trying to come up with something he could use to wean himself off of a morphine addiction. Unsuccessfully, if I have my urban legends correct. 

I saw a couture video a while back where a couple folks made a batch of the original formula, minus the leaves, and tried it. Consensus was that it was an ok beverage, but not the coke we have now. 

As for special ingredients, you're not wrong. My grandmother was a nurse. She told me a story years ago. She was on a popular diet pill back in the 60s or 70s. Lots of people were. Until she talked to a few drs and they realized it was just low grade meth. Apparently it was rather unpleasant to get off of. 
Anyway, plastics or not, I'm not quitting chicken McNuggets. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/24/22 6:15 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Unpopular opinion - I like it. 

Considering how much product in general Coca Cola sells every year, you aren't alone.  I haven't tried this flavor, and I can't because of the caffeine, but as I said I'm a huge fan of diet caffeine free Coke.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/24/22 10:56 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I am NOT a huge fan of diet caffeine free Coke. It is, unfortunately, one of the blends of horrible chemicals I am extremely addicted to. 
Diet Mt Dew in am, (my excuse is I don't like coffee, but it's truly an addiction) and the caffeine free in the evening. Lots of water all along, but my addiction is shortening my live, no doubt. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/24/22 11:02 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I'm not sure on the urban legend, but sounds likely. 
Some good reading on the guy that figured out how to refine the coca leaves into a powder. Later he said "I am responsible for the worst atrocity done to man"

The US started putting it in EVERYTHING for a few years. The ad campaigns to make it illegal, take a strong constitution to look back on... VERY racist stuff. 
Sad part of history. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/24/22 11:08 a.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I am NOT a huge fan of diet caffeine free Coke. It is, unfortunately, one of the blends of horrible chemicals I am extremely addicted to. 
Diet Mt Dew in am, (my excuse is I don't like coffee, but it's truly an addiction) and the caffeine free in the evening. Lots of water all along, but my addiction is shortening my live, no doubt. 

I drink water 90% of the time.  I only drink soda on my Friday night cheat meal and once in a while on a Saturday dinner.  I love Coke.  I know they make caffeine free diet Mt. Dew, but finding it is harder than finding unicorn pee....

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/24/22 12:00 p.m.
03Panther said:

...The US started putting it in EVERYTHING for a few years...

One of the first uses for cocaine I hear was that it was used as a way to get people off of opium (!)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/24/22 12:03 p.m.
aircooled said:
03Panther said:

...The US started putting it in EVERYTHING for a few years...

One of the first uses for cocaine I hear was that it was used as a way to get people off of opium (!)

Bring pure opium back and get rid of all the synthetic opioids doing major damage. Oh wait, you need the addictive qualities of synthetic opioids to keep people hooked on pain pills, so the customers get so ducked up they in turn sue the people who fill the prescriptions instead of the pharmaceutical cartels pushing the drugs in the first place. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/22 12:30 p.m.

You haven't experienced true "hell no..." until you've had Lobster Ice Cream at Ben & Bill's Chocolate Emporium in Bar Harbor, Maine. wink

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
9/13/22 11:15 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to STM317 :

So is it the sugar or the fizzy water that makes Coke such a great paint stripper?

It is the phosphoric acid in it. I have been shown on YouTube that Coke is great for removing rust from nuts and bolts etc....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QHTsmKTw9XPeh5M49OBOAR7zVucZI4JncSWNZwAwAW6EoQAT1uBW5m5F3uPKXP5w