1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 ... 413
02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
4/8/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Could well be, but still...when you saw the movie, did you ever envision a world where you'd see "Wolverines" spray-painted on a dead Russian BMP on former Soviet territory instead of Colorado?

stroker
stroker UberDork
4/8/22 10:46 a.m.
aircooled said:
02Pilot said:

There are ironies and then there are ironies. If nothing else, this certainly gives credence to the reach and effectiveness of the US entertainment industry as a mechanism of soft power.

There is also a good chance that was done by an American, or at least a westerner.

Regardless of the source, John Milius is smiling...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/22 12:08 p.m.

I do wonder if Russia (once again) will become the "common villain" in Hollywood now.  It of course was terrorists for a while, then seemed to turn to a bit more big companies and government etc.  Never did seem to get to China, but they did try.  The remake of Red Dawn was supposed to be China, but they bowed to the pressure and made it North Korea (yeah right).  Of course, the entire time we are tip toeing around offending China they are calling us the devil of the world and that we are pieces of crap in general (including in their movies).

There will obviously be some sort of Hollywood depiction of this.  Lets see if they can manage to do it without a love story...  I would suspects it will be more on the harsh side though (e.g. Bucha).  Zelinksky is an obvious topic.  TopGun 3 Ghost of Kyiv?

stroker
stroker UberDork
4/8/22 2:06 p.m.
aircooled said:

TopGun 3 Ghost of Kyiv?

JEEBUS, DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!!

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/22 2:12 p.m.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/22 2:37 p.m.

OK then, who plays Putin?

I nominate:

picture of a steaming pile of poo | eBay

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/22 3:12 p.m.

In reference to the previous post:

This is the boost part of the missile that deployed (not yet confirmed) cluster munitions ... on a train station...  and yes, the writing says, in Russian "for the Children" or "Because of Children".

Of course Russia says it's a Ukrainian plant (the writing possibly could be, but it really doesn't look like it they way it is laying).  They also deny they launched it, or even use these missiles.  It of course is very likely the US has the launch track for this missile.

https://www.investing.com/news/world-news/us-believes-russia-used-shortrange-ballistic-missile-in-railway-station-strike-us-official-2800858

U.S. believes Russia used short-range ballistic missile in railway station strike -U.S. official

Russian idiocy, or very sophisticated Ukrainian trolling?

For reference - SS21:

SS-21 (OTR-21 Tochka) | Missile Threat

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/22 7:31 p.m.

In case anyone wants to hear a Russian commander order a subordinate to kill civilians (and yes, transmitted completely un-encrypted, maybe even on a the public cell network):

That account (Ukrainian intelligence service I believe) also has some other intercepts of interest, including one that talks about a unit that is there to point retreating Russians in the right direction.

stroker
stroker UberDork
4/8/22 8:03 p.m.

How deep a hole are these guys going to dig...?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/8/22 10:05 p.m.
Sidewayze said:
aircooled said:

OK then, who plays Putin?

I nominate:

picture of a steaming pile of poo | eBay

I've heard that'll be playing Tucker Carlson...

Okay, then this:

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
4/8/22 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Sidewayze :

Politics much?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/22 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Sidewayze :

Please stop with the political stuff or the thread will get locked.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/22 11:00 p.m.

If you think mentioning TC is not political, you are clearly not paying attention.  There are numerous "news commenters" (from both sides) that are clearly political, it's pretty much the ONLY thing they talk about.

Throwing out a comment meant to disparage one is clearly trolling.

I would appreciate it if you did not do such things in this thread, it is a useful source of info for some and has had some very interesting discussions, I think.

(It would be interesting, and maybe useful, to discuss his positions, which I suspect are not being representing entirely accurately or in an appropriate perspective, but that clearly would not go well.)

volvoclearinghouse
4/9/22 7:57 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Agreed with your perspective. It is a shame we can't have these discussions in a polite fashion, but you're right. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/22 9:50 a.m.
aircooled said:

I do wonder if Russia (once again) will become the "common villain" in Hollywood now.  It of course was terrorists for a while, then seemed to turn to a bit more big companies and government etc.  Never did seem to get to China, but they did try.  The remake of Red Dawn was supposed to be China, but they bowed to the pressure and made it North Korea (yeah right).  Of course, the entire time we are tip toeing around offending China they are calling us the devil of the world and that we are pieces of crap in general (including in their movies).

There will obviously be some sort of Hollywood depiction of this.  Lets see if they can manage to do it without a love story...  I would suspects it will be more on the harsh side though (e.g. Bucha).  Zelinksky is an obvious topic.  TopGun 3 Ghost of Kyiv?

China is too big a market for Hollywood to make them the villains. Doesn't matter what China says as long as they keep buying tickets. The USSR and North Korea never had that advantage. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/9/22 10:00 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
aircooled said:

China is too big a market for Hollywood to make them the villains. Doesn't matter what China says as long as they keep buying tickets. The USSR and North Korea never had that advantage. 

At the same time, it's really easy to make China look really bad.  Ascension- an observational doc about Chinese manufacturing- really makes them look like robots.  Somehow, this got approved.  It's not a great doc unless you like that kind of documentary, but the picture it paints of China is really dark.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/9/22 10:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

China is tremendously important to Hollywood. Just ask John Cena.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/9/22 1:54 p.m.

Maybe not so much anymore though.  Hollywood recently created two rather large expensive movies that were "tuned" to appeal to China (the ring super hero movie, and the one with the group of hero's), I read China refused to release either in China.  They would prefer to see internally produced propaganda apparently.

So, maybe those days are fading?  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/22 2:01 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

For the sake of cinema, I hope so.  A lot of the reason modern movies are crap is because the dialog and plot lines are being vetted/simplified to cater to non US culture.  Baysplosions are universal and also boring.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/9/22 8:35 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to aircooled :

the dialog and plot lines are being vetted/simplified to cater to non US culture.  

Are you suggesting that "foreigners" are less capable than Americans at understanding complicated plots?

More likely, it's because Americans (and non-Americans) seem to have shorter attention spans these days thanks to nonstop personal media, and need basic plots and explosions to hold their interest. 

volvoclearinghouse
4/9/22 8:41 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

More like, what sort of movies can we make with minimal plot/dialogue that has to be then translated into some other language, which might not translate well, either literally or culturally. 

I don't think I've watched a movie in a theatre in 10 years. And when we stream something at home, it's generally at least a couple of decades old. Mid-late 20th century is my sweet spot. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/9/22 8:41 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Are you suggesting that "foreigners" are less capable than Americans at understanding complicated plots?

The less dialogue you have, the less money you have to spend dubbing it into a language other than English.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/9/22 9:59 p.m.

More likely, it's because Americans (and non-Americans) seem to have shorter attention spans these days thanks to nonstop personal media, and need basic plots and explosions to hold their interest. 

I cannot resist. 

In the before times, pre social media, the explanation I heard for the aggressive dumbing down of Hollywood films was that the target demographic was preteen and teen boys, as they were the ones who would reliably spend enormous sums of money on tickets and merchandise.

If that approach also makes it easier to repackage for international audiences, I'm sure nobody in the industry minds making a little extra money in those markets.

Whether that has any bearing on casting China as the bad guy in films or not is an interesting discussion.  All I can say to that is I feel genuinely old realizing that Russia was always the antagonist when I was the target demographic for Hollywood blockbusters. And here they are, many decades later, seemingly playing the part in real life.  Interesting.  And terrifying. 

4/9/22 10:21 p.m.

I think the last movie I actually saw in a theater was the final Lord of the Rings lol.....

I had written up a response to the two previous posts (since I use translators and foreign overdubbing frequently in my line of work), but to be perfectly honest the whole movie discussion seems like a non-sequitur here so will just let it drop outside of a Russia connection. Incidentally, I was just giving Pete a hard time because he once paid me $100 for some (tires?) by giving me 2 giant ziploc bags full of quarters, so I always give him a hard time about stuff. 

4/9/22 10:31 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

And here they are, many decades later, seemingly playing the part in real life.  Interesting.  And terrifying. 

I took Russian History in college like 25 years ago. I don't remember much of it at this point, but I do remember that Russia has always been an antagonist geopolitically, whether it was Putin, the Soviets, the pre-Soviet era, the Tsars, etc....There's really been no time in history they were "the good guys" per se. But there were so many Soviet bad guys in movies for half a century, so then for a while we had IRA terrorists, or North Koreans, or Cubans, Vietnam, and the non-state actors (ranging from Dr. Evil to Libyan Terrorists in Back to the Future). It depends on who the flavor of the year is :)

1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 ... 413

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XiStQOxj6oJWGvqK4jMY2Vlib64lSG8I0ISAnQiVBGKNG3INM9F6uGXnzUO0NxyJ