1 ... 17 18 19
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/25/24 9:52 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Wow. While growing up, my dad’s friend had one. Totally fell in love with it. One day. 

bsaney
bsaney GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/26/24 12:07 a.m.

A birthday present some time agosmiley. I like the perforated leather strap and colors.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/26/24 10:03 a.m.

I went cleaned up and repurposed my deceased fathers watch almost 4 yrs after his passing. Pretty typical ex-military/machinist/mechanic style watch.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/15/24 12:35 p.m.

Time to part with this Citizen Eco Drive. It's a model BL5380-58E that I bought back in 2013 when I was married. I thought that it was only fair to have some bling that matched my wife's engagement ring. Anyway, I never wear it. It was too nice to wear to the physical job that I had back then and now I work from home and it totally clashes with sweatpants and t-shirts. As you can see, I have the original box, case and all the manuals along with several links that I removed for a good fit. It's currently set and running perfectly and only has some light scuffing on the band, mostly on the clasp and backside. They currently sell new on Amazon for $455.00. Make me a fair offer and it's yours.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/24 9:47 a.m.

Two years ago, I bought a 42mm Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium on the leather strap, which was the only way that they were available when they were introduced. I absolutely loved the color and depth of the dial. 

But when I started wearing it, the dial was looking a little big and awkward to me on the leather, and because it was titanium, it felt oddly light. 

I set it aside and started wearing my heavy Hamilton diver again, and really liked having a metal bracelet in the summer. I was also impressed by how accurate the H10/ETA movement in the diver was (+3-4 sec per day). 

About a year ago, Hamilton released the same Khaki Field Titanium on a matching titanium bracelet. After watching a video on the new releases, I ordered the proper titanium bracelet for about $150 from Brad at BrentLMiller.com. Very helpful guy. 

This has become my daily driver for the past year. It has the same H10/ETA movement as the other Hamilton and runs at the same +3-4 seconds per day, which makes it much easier to adjust than the Tudor which runs at -2 per day. And the titanium bracelet adds just enough heft to make it feel perfect on my wrist: not too heavy, not too light. As a bonus, the metal bracelet visually balances the larger case size and just looks right to my eye. And it's not so expensive that I'd worry about wearing it into a sketchy neighborhood. 

People always hype in house movements, but these ETA movements are really fantastic. 

I love this watch!

DasAuto
DasAuto GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/24 11:33 a.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

I just sold my Longines vintage watch on Chrono24 and was really pleased with how it all went. You might want to sell yours there as well since you also have all the papers, box, etc. Lovely watch. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
5/21/24 7:51 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'd *neeeeeeverrrrrr be that guy, the enabler. no sir.

lol.

https://www.chrono24.com/search/index.htm?query=spaceview&dosearch=true&searchexplain=1&watchTypes=&accessoryTypes=

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
5/22/24 8:40 p.m.
bsaney said:

A birthday present some time agosmiley. I like the perforated leather strap and colors.

I used to have that exact watch! I sold it and regret it. That's a good looking watch.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
5/23/24 8:00 p.m.

Just got this one back from an overhaul. It's one of my father's watches that he gave me a number of years ago - it was a gift to him, and I don't think he ever wore it. It probably dates from the late 60s or early 70s. The strap it came with was in bad shape, so I opted for a dark blue rally strap and a deployant clasp; I also got a dark green sailcloth strap that's a bit more formal.

I don't normally do gold-tone watches, but seeing as this is a family watch, it was worth getting sorted and will see periodic wear.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/24 9:14 p.m.

This is a dangerous thread. I'm only on like page 5 but catching up.

I opened it because the Oris sponsorship of Concours d'Lemons made me like them as an institution, and I've been fascinated with the idea of a mechanical watch, and was wondering if anybody had one or opinions. I guess I'm finding out...

I will probably think better of it and get a Timex or something, or skip the whole thing. I'm not sure I'm enough of a grownup to consistently remove a watch for peril, and I don't dress up often enough to have a "dress only" watch, even if I would like to improve on that front.

This is what I wear the vast majority of the time. I've been wearing calculator watches since I found one on the beach when I was ten (and I already thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea). I've been through quite a few. More than once I found the band's pins weren't up to the pit at a show.

Currently the closest thing I have to a "nice" (or at least presentable if nobody's actually looking?) watch is a Ministry of Silly Walks one (stock photo). You can tell it's fancy 'cause it's got hands. And feet.:

I should probably just tell time with the Casio and spend my horological interest on the sloooow repair of an Elgin pocket watch I picked up a while back.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/24 1:16 a.m.

Casio just released a manga version of the G-Shock that's styled to look like it's a drawing. I could not resist. Terrible pics. 

classtef
classtef New Reader
6/7/24 5:15 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Casio just released a manga version of the G-Shock that's styled to look like it's a drawing. I could not resist. Terrible pics. 

Wow, the stark black and white contrast gives it such a dynamic vibe. It looks good on your wrist! I'm not picky on the watch that I wear. The one I'm currently wearing is the 2nd gen Moto 360.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
6/10/24 9:46 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That manga Casio reminds me of the 8 bit Miata

8-Bit Miata

Keith Tanner
6/11/24 9:54 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

My friends keep sending me links to t-shirts with manga art on them, apparently I'm supposed to construct my whole wardrobe around this :)

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/24 6:17 p.m.

I just lost an hour to wading through the rest of this thread. Some neat stuff, but mercifully I didn't end up with a want list a million miles long.

Seems like I probably need to do a bit more research into what to look for for decent quality in a watch I won't be scared to wear. Guessing I'll wind up with a Seiko or Timex, though I've seen a few of the Oris Artelier Complication used for under a grand... Though I go back and forth on whether the fascination I have with miscellaneous complications will lose its novelty and lack "tidiness" for a long term watch.

Feels silly to look at DIY Watch Club when I've got a disassembled pocket watch awaiting further work, but then some of the kits seem to suggest only a couple hours' work to assemble. I guess if you're really just installing a movement and so forth... OTOH, I waste a couple of hours all the time and should probably do less of that and just get a watch that's already a watch without my intervention.

That Spaceview is rad, should I stumble and find myself collecting more watches... Aesthetically it really reminds me of the era of Space Age stuff I imprinted on, even if actual current tech was well past it by my childhood in the seventies.

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
6/18/24 10:08 p.m.

My current watch is a Lorus Lumibrite field watch. It looks like they are an econo division of Seiko. Roughly about 37mm, takes a 18mm strap, stainless steel casing and glows like no other. You can pick them up on eBay for $60-70 all day long. I've wear it for work, nice dinners, biking, etc. Highly recommended watch.

Previous daily watch was a Casio F-91w. Wore out after 12 years of use. Got my $15 worth out of it!

j_tso
j_tso Dork
6/19/24 9:59 a.m.

It's got a built in bottle opener and it's not called the Beer O'Clock?

Keith Tanner
6/27/24 11:05 p.m.

I wore the manga Seiko on a Flyin' Miata video and someone spotted it :)

I've mentioned that I have an old Ironman from the 90's that's been through the wringer. I was talking to my friend Eric about it and he started thinking about digitals. So I picked up another Ironman and a third for spares, and built him a custom one with the sort of coloring he'd been talking about. Just because it's fun. Leather NATO strap, mostly black, patina.

I've had the Jupiter Moonswatch on a brown leather band that matches the main hands nicely. It's classy. But when I came across this orange nylon NATO that matched the chrono hand some detailing, I decided to give it a try. It's great, it adds some fun to the watch and you don't notice the plastic case at all. I like it better this way both visually and to wear - it weighs almost nothing.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
8/5/24 9:56 p.m.

Not actually wearing them yet, but I love my Seiko and wanted one with some gold so I picked up this pair of 70s beauties for cheap tonight. Need some new batteries but they're in great shape (and I'm filling the niche of "stretchy band watch" In the same go).

calteg
calteg UltraDork
8/6/24 8:07 a.m.

Any experience w/lilienthal berlin watches?

Reviews on their site seem to knock customer service, but folks seem to like the watches themselves. 

johndej
johndej UltraDork
9/4/24 6:21 p.m.

Tempted to pop on a MoonSwatch since a couple are available online now.

"The online sales will start only for the following four models of the MoonSwatch: Mission on Earth, Mission to the Sun, Mission to the Moon, and Mission to Mars"

1 ... 17 18 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OqtqnsJD5uUEhRj9OQhECzXwn6S8XDHJRgIRjiXgiJeyCSR2Cyhf7YNBGMrEZMqO