1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 10:21 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Then I'm guessing you don't want the recipe for cake that uses that instead of eggs huh?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/26/21 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

Born and raised in Detroit proper. Never understood putting sauce ON the cheese. It's just wrong on many levels. 

lateapexer
lateapexer Reader
1/26/21 10:42 a.m.

Bobzilla actual kernels of corn. The rest is pretty much regular pizza.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 11:12 a.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

You guys are killing me with this thread. This fall I wanted to build a wood fired pizza oven and went down a horrible rabbit hole. Short version of the story is that I scrambled and got it completed just before the first snow of the season. It's done and sitting in the back yard covered up with tarps/rubber and snow. I so wanted to get it fired up and at least try it but the weather decided it didn't want me to eat homemade wood fired pizza last year. Next year I will be able to give you guys some real world pizza data once I figure out how to cook in the oven. I guess it isn't as easy as lighting wood on fire and throwing dough in there. We shall see.

If anyone ever ends up in the northeast PA area, hit me up for some pizza/beer in the backyard!

Oh wow - that looks awesome.  I used to commute past a house in NJ that had two massive wood pizza ovens off the back deck of the house. Never quite understood why they needed two... unless maybe one is for Kosher pizza? 
There's a pizza place near me that does wood-fired pizza. I need to order from them, but I always forget they're there and just order from the pizza shop across the street from me. That is one thing about being in SE PA - there are pizza shops everywhere.  I can walk to three from my house (I'd have to drive to the wood fired place).  There are so many the chain places don't seem to do very well. The Pizza Hut near me closed a few years ago.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/26/21 11:13 a.m.
Old_Town said:

White pizza > Most Neapolitan types pies.

I had pizza when I was in Naples thinking it's gonna be the best on the planet.  All pizzas since the OP are American ideas (yes, started in NY); in Italy it's an appetizer.  Mine was thin bready crust with a bit of cheese and fried onions.  It was very good, but not what I expected.

We usually make, at home, a thin-ish crust white pizza with broccoli, garlic, cheese and crushed red peppers.  Unfortunately our oven doesn't get as hot as those in a good shop so we cook the crust for  5-10 minutes before decorating the top.  Keeps from getting a soggy crust.

So what's a Calzone?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 11:17 a.m.
914Driver said:
Old_Town said:

White pizza > Most Neapolitan types pies.

I had pizza when I was in Naples thinking it's gonna be the best on the planet.  All pizzas since the OP are American ideas (yes, started in NY); in Italy it's an appetizer.  Mine was thin bready crust with a bit of cheese and fried onions.  It was very good, but not what I expected.

We usually make, at home, a thin-ish crust white pizza with broccoli, garlic, cheese and crushed red peppers.  Unfortunately our oven doesn't get as hot as those in a good shop so we cook the crust for  5-10 minutes before decorating the top.  Keeps from getting a soggy crust.

So what's a Calzone?

A Calzone is sort of like a pizza folded in half or rolled up. A "pizza burrito" or "pizza quesadilla"  in a way? I've had them both ways. My ex- used to get them from a pizza shop near her in central NJ all the time.  But like pizza, the actual definition probably varies a bit depending on where you are.

Try making pizza on your outdoor grill using a stone - sometimes those can get hotter than your oven.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 11:40 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
914Driver said:

So what's a Calzone?

A Calzone is sort of like a pizza folded in half or rolled up. A "pizza burrito" or "pizza quesadilla"  in a way?

Close, but not quite.

A calzone is a pizza folded in half and with the outside crusts pinched together to seal it.  You get all crust on the outside and all toppings on the inside.

A stromboli is a pizza rolled up, more like a wrap sandwich.  You get mixed layers of topping and crust throughout.  Edges are not usually sealed except maybe at the ends.

A panzerotti is like a small calzone that is then fried instead of baked.  These are less common.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/26/21 11:43 a.m.
914Driver said:

So what's a Calzone?

Calzones are pointless.  They're just pizza that is harder to eat.  No one likes them.  Good day, sir.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 11:46 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
914Driver said:

So what's a Calzone?

Calzones are pointless.  They're just pizza that is harder to eat.  No one likes them.  Good day, sir.

Untrue.  You Philistine.

If made with cheese and sauce like a traditional pizza, you can get multiple times more cheese into a calzone than will stay on even the extra-cheesiest of cheese pizzas.

Also, calzones are frequently made with ricotta and mozzarella, but no tomato sauce.  Ricotta would never stay on a pizza slice.  These are delicious, and may come with a small side of marinara to dip the crust, but sauce is not baked into this type of calzone.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

That's only true if you're an amatuer pizza maker. The key is to layer it. light sauce, cheese, first meat, cheese, next meet, cheese, next meat, cheese, last meat and once again more cheese. Top off with a sprinkle of oregano and basil and boom. Perfect pizza. The dough is merely a delivery device for the meat and cheese

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 11:50 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Duke :

That's only true if you're an amatuer pizza maker. The key is to layer it. light sauce, cheese, first meat, cheese, next meet, cheese, next meat, cheese, last meat and once again more cheese. Top off with a sprinkle of oregano and basil and boom. Perfect pizza. The dough is merely a delivery device for the meat and cheese

We're operating under the assumption that you don't bake your pizza in a bucket, here.

And if you think the dough is merely a delivery device, you are missing the point and it is no wonder you don't appreciate real thin crust.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 11:52 a.m.

ALL bread is a delivery device. Its something the wife and I disagree on the most. Meat and cheese is what you want. The bread is just there so you don't look like a caveman with a piece of flesh in your fingers wolfing it down. Everything else has been devised to make us look more modern and refined. 

Also, I make my pizza on a cookie sheet but it ends up 2-2.5" thick with toppings

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/26/21 11:53 a.m.
Duke said:
ProDarwin said:
914Driver said:

So what's a Calzone?

Untrue.  You Philistine.

Its a Leslie Knope quote :)

I love Calzones.  I should learn to make them myself. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 11:58 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

You have my deepest sympathy.  Warm, hearth-baked crusty bread with a little salted butter or herbed olive oil... I could eat just that, some days.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Wife as well. I don't get it. It's like opening a christmas present to play with the wrapping paper.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 12:01 p.m.

My daughter and i red this thread over lunch.

Lunch was cold cheap hotdogs and pizza lunchables. 

Im pretty sure that makes us more right than everyone else in here.

devil

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 12:09 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Duke :

Wife as well. I don't get it. It's like opening a christmas present to play with the wrapping paper.

Delicious, wonderful, satisfying wrapping paper that smells like utopia.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 12:09 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

My daughter and i red this thread over lunch.

Lunch was cold cheap hotdogs and pizza lunchables. 

Im pretty sure that makes us more right than everyone else in here.

devil

I love cold hotdogs

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 12:13 p.m.

Cold hot dogs are just tiny bologna.  If you like bologna, there's nothing wrong with cold hot dogs.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/26/21 12:15 p.m.

Miracle Whip would have been upscale for how my grandparents ate. That's why I ate my salads without any dressing until I was in my mid twenties. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 12:15 p.m.
Duke said:

Cold hot dogs are just tiny bologna.  If you like bologna, there's nothing wrong with cold hot dogs.

depends on the bologna. The prepackaged crap..... I'll still eat it but I prefer from the deli and I prefer all-beef. But honestly, we all know my mouth is a trash recepticle and I'll likely put anything in it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/26/21 12:18 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to bobzilla :

You have my deepest sympathy.  Warm, hearth-baked crusty bread with a little salted butter or herbed olive oil... I could eat just that, some days.

Yeah but if you cut a 1" thick slice, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle on basil, maybe crushed red pepper, a tomato slice and some Mozzorella; toss under the broiler until brown.

It's a nice little breakfast !!

Duke said:
ProDarwin said:
914Driver said:

So what's a Calzone?

Untrue.  You Philistine.

If made with cheese and sauce like a traditional pizza, you can get multiple times more cheese into a calzone than will stay on even the extra-cheesiest of cheese pizzas.

Also, calzones are frequently made with ricotta and mozzarella, but no tomato sauce.  Ricotta would never stay on a pizza slice.  These are delicious, and may come with a small side of marinara to dip the crust, but sauce is not baked into this type of calzone.

Oh buddy, you're missing out. Ricotta most certainly will stay on a slice of pizza. There's a couple places here in Portland that will do it. It's so good. 

Edit: I forgot this was a argument thread and was too positive. I apologise. I love me some pineapple and jalapeño pizza. And also a nice anchovy and onion pizza. Fight me. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/26/21 1:15 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to bobzilla :

My wife became gluten intolerant a couple years ago and can't have good bread.

Gluten free bread/crust/etc is.....terrible. Pizza crust is sometimes made with cauliflower.....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

we've made some of those. The only way we could make them taste OK was to make buffalo chicken pizza. Buffalo sauce, mozzarella, gouda, chicken, bacon and red onions. Otherwise, normal pizza was just inedible.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FcD9Id1FozImS1fHiEtH7vuQYX3EiAobjuuZ2woQvJEDSTN1MdF0Pa8xvRwtgp5Z