1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/13 1:35 p.m.
Quasimo1 wrote: As much as I hate paying fees and taxes I support mandatory vehicle inspections. There are a lot of dump people out there who will knowlingly ignore vehicle maintence issues and drive unsafe vehicles. You can be as dumb as you want on your own property but once you drive on a public road and can put others in danger my viewpoint changes. I would rather have an unsafe vehicle be taken off the road at a vehicle inspection station than discover someone's vehicle is unsafe to drive after it slams into my car due to neglect of the car's safety and braking systems.

when I bought my Volvo 850... it had a month old inspection sticker. After driving it home, it developed a brake squeak, so I decided to go the whole monty and replace the pads, rotors, fluid, and lines.

It was metal to metal when I pulled the wheels off

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/4/13 1:45 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: I usually don't have issues with the inspection process. I just make sure my vehicle will pass and I have my info together before I take the vehicle in. It is not difficult to pass. Even all the emmissions tests are "cheatable". Boom Done.

Yeah, try that with an OBD-II car carrying an aftermarket supercharger, complete exhaust and intake tract, oversized injectors and high pressure fuel pump, driven by a standalone engine management system.

Homey don't play dat.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/4/13 2:03 p.m.

If it is OBD2, you can trick it into not throwing a CEL. That is all they care about (at least where I go for the OBD2 vehicles).

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/4/13 2:11 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

You missed the standalone ECU part... Unless you have it wired in parallel and doing not a damn thing.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/4/13 2:16 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to wvumtnbkr: You missed the standalone ECU part... Unless you have it wired in parallel and doing not a damn thing.

Which doesn't work, because they run the engine while hooked up, so they can read the sensor inputs. Inspection is a PITA which is why it's currently 9 months overdue.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/4/13 2:38 p.m.

Wow, that sucks!

The last time I had my truck in (OBD2), they hooked up the machine while the truck was running and didn't even look at the screen. They just checked that the CEL was not on.

Pretty tough to trick if they are looking for sensor I/O.

I was thinking that you would just leave the stock computer in and not doing a damn thing.

Can you put most of the stock sensors back on (even if they aren't "doing" anything) and "trick" the stock computer into thinking it is running the engine?

Can you re-program the stock computer to ignore sensors and trick the test that way (and leave it hooked up)

Can you integrate the OBD2 port into the standalone without it throwing a CEL?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/4/13 2:57 p.m.

Nope, unfortunately, what I have to do is take all the fun stuff off, reinstall the original computer, kill the inevitable CEL with my scanner, then drive far enough to make it look like it wasn't just reset, but not far enough that it throws another one.

About 7 miles does the trick.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/4/13 3:26 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Quasimo1 wrote: As much as I hate paying fees and taxes I support mandatory vehicle inspections. There are a lot of dump people out there who will knowlingly ignore vehicle maintence issues and drive unsafe vehicles. You can be as dumb as you want on your own property but once you drive on a public road and can put others in danger my viewpoint changes. I would rather have an unsafe vehicle be taken off the road at a vehicle inspection station than discover someone's vehicle is unsafe to drive after it slams into my car due to neglect of the car's safety and braking systems.
when I bought my Volvo 850... it had a month old inspection sticker. After driving it home, it developed a brake squeak, so I decided to go the whole monty and replace the pads, rotors, fluid, and lines. It was metal to metal when I pulled the wheels off

sounds like it would have passed NC inspection quite easily

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/29/23 10:07 a.m.

Zombie canoe

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/29/23 10:56 a.m.

It is funny how inspections have changed some in PA over the 10 years since the OP.

The dyno-testing for Pre-OBD2 cars is thankfully gone the way of the dodo. Few shops invested in the equipment and apparently the upkeep on the equipment was an absolute nightmare.  Some uncharacteristically smart person at PennDOT then realized that pre-OBD2 cars are such a small percentage of operational cars that keeping track of the emissions compliance wasn't worth the administration costs, so those cars just get a visual inspection now. "Is everything there?  Great. Pass." 

Kinda makes me wish I'd hung onto the E30 a few more years... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wQ3M9NgNcbYRN7ybaQoU7Mv2nPKRxpBQ0LEh1xaQjud019wXboF1KF95iKaWPkSj