1 2 3 4
jde
jde Reader
9/17/14 1:39 p.m.
PHeller wrote: I think ISIS employs KISS tactics.

...aaaaaand "God of Thunder" is now stuck in my head. Thanks.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/17/14 1:41 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Every. Damn. Time.

Honestly though, I've been to that part of the world on Uncle Sams dime before and I don't see any viable, realistic options. As long as strongmen can sieze power in the name of religious ideology those of us who just want to be left the berkely alone will be playing defense. And you can't win by playing defense.

My vote would be it isolate the crap out of the whole region and let them sort it out internally. But I know it can't and won't happen so...pipedream.

Maybe ebola will jump the Suez and start thinning the southwest asian herd.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/17/14 2:16 p.m.

Texas public school book approval boards tried to ban textbooks that spoke too highly of evolution.

Texas Education Board Flags Biology Textbook Over Evolution Concerns

No word on whether they'll try to impose religious views on math next.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/17/14 2:33 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Texas public school book approval boards tried to ban textbooks that spoke too highly of evolution.

Not surprised...but its also illegal to hunt whales in Nebraska, and Uncle Sam wants to ban aftermarket exhaust systems on passenger cars.

SNAFU...things never change

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
9/17/14 2:39 p.m.

Huh, I never thought of trying to get out of math as a "conscientious objector". These guys are 30 years too late to do me any good, but I suspect they will soon have a large following among junior high boys.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/17/14 3:37 p.m.
oldtin wrote: carpet bomb them with math equations, theory of evolution books and atheists?

You sir, have perhaps found the single best use for atheists.......

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
9/17/14 3:49 p.m.

If this plays out right, in a few years Homeland Security could set up checkpoints and ask "If X + 5 = 10, what is X?" and net bushels of terrorists. Maybe then the rest of us could stop taking our shoes off at the airport.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/14 4:32 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: How ironic that during the Euro dark-ages, people in their part of the planet were by far the most scientifically and mathematically advanced. The Euro dark ages were largely self imposed by power hungry "religious" figures too. History repeats itself I suppose

Apparently, a major religion goes through a rebellious phase in its teen-hundred-aged years...

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
9/17/14 5:05 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: How ironic that during the Euro dark-ages, people in their part of the planet were by far the most scientifically and mathematically advanced...

They invented freakin' algebra!:

Algebra (from Arabic al-jebr meaning "reunion of broken parts") Much early work in algebra, as the Arabic origin of its name suggests, was done in the Near East, by such mathematicians as Omar Khayyam (1050-1123).
Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
9/17/14 5:27 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
oldtin wrote: carpet bomb them with math equations, theory of evolution books and atheists?

The theists have proven they are the masters of starting wars. Figures they would need the atheists to end them.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/14 5:39 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
HappyAndy wrote: How ironic that during the Euro dark-ages, people in their part of the planet were by far the most scientifically and mathematically advanced...
They invented freakin' algebra!:
Algebra (from Arabic al-jebr meaning "reunion of broken parts") Much early work in algebra, as the Arabic origin of its name suggests, was done in the Near East, by such mathematicians as Omar Khayyam (1050-1123).

…algebra is nice and all but the real prize was the concept of “ZERO”.

Algebra + Fire + Wheel + Simi Conductor + Miata + Bacon < ZERO

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/14 5:45 p.m.

look at the good news about ISIL.. they have united the Middle East against them. Even Iran wants to do something about them and is willing to work with the rest of the world. We do -not- need to put boots on the ground if they are willing to do it as long as we keep bombing the hell out of them.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
9/17/14 5:47 p.m.
aircooled wrote: They invented freakin' algebra!:

The word, yeah. The math? Well, kinda, sorta, NOT REALLY. Lots of folks with nothing better to do than fancy cypherin'.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/14 6:12 p.m.

Can we agree that they invented al-Abama?

No?

Okay, back to my cave.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/18/14 2:00 a.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote:
yamaha wrote:
The theists have proven they are the masters of starting wars. Figures they would need the atheists to end them.

we don't want anything to do with any of the wars started in the name of any deity..

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
9/18/14 8:41 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Cone_Junkie wrote:
yamaha wrote:
we don't want anything to do with any of the wars started in the name of any deity..

Let them kill themselves and their gods can sort 'em out.

The entire Middle East situation is like dealing with a massive tantrum between your kids. You know they'll never calm down on their own. Those of us in the adult world have reached the point where we're just ready to beat wholesale, indiscriminate ass. We know that in the end it will be counterproductive, but for those precious few minutes, DAMN it would feel good.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/18/14 9:05 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Can we agree that they invented al-Abama? No? Okay, back to my cave.

Oh my! He's right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et0ho20CJIM

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/18/14 9:24 a.m.

Here's what I don't get:

The Scots want to be an independent nation, and everyone is like "oh yea totally cool, not smart, smart yes no whatever but its cool" and in general, the vote is viewed as positive thing, even if the outcome is not.

Yet the rest of the world pretty much turns its back on any other culture group having the same rights. The Kurds? Nope, no autonomy for them. Russian Ukrainians? Nope. Palestinians? Nope.

Look, if the differences between cultures is so much that your country is constantly at war, I think its time you have independent governments.

Borders are no longer just lines on map. They can be flexible, as long as the law and order is stable throughout those changes.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
9/18/14 9:24 a.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Great, now you've got me pronouncing it Al-gebra.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/18/14 9:59 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

The Kurds are autonomous, and I'm under the impression Gaza Palestinians have autonomy, and a certain level of it for the West Bank PLO.

Crimea was already an autonomous region before this all started.

But oh no, lets just go with your blanket statement of they're all the same and oppressed......SMDH

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/18/14 10:05 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

yeah, I lol'd too when I read that, but I didnt post...the sound of concrete mixers being powered up scare me off when I walk into threads like this.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/18/14 10:09 a.m.

i dunno, i kinda like this thread.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/18/14 10:57 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to PHeller: The Kurds are autonomous, and I'm under the impression Gaza Palestinians have autonomy, and a certain level of it for the West Bank PLO. Crimea was already an autonomous region before this all started. But oh no, lets just go with your blanket statement of they're all the same and oppressed......SMDH

But they don't really have borders as such.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/18/14 11:14 a.m.
PHeller wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to PHeller: The Kurds are autonomous, and I'm under the impression Gaza Palestinians have autonomy, and a certain level of it for the West Bank PLO. Crimea was already an autonomous region before this all started. But oh no, lets just go with your blanket statement of they're all the same and oppressed......SMDH
But they don't really have borders as such.

Put the shovel down.

I'm with 4cyl, I had a response typed out to your post, but deleted it.

You should REALLY do a lot more reading about the various areas you've mentioned. No offense intended.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/18/14 11:23 a.m.

Educate me, seriously. Why isn't there an officially recognized Kurdistan? They seem to be relatively stable, democratic, with at least some secular rule of law. I guess I don't know enough about their history to know why or why not they have not been granted their own boundaries and sovereign state.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pt8mvIpUJvSrI3OmWyI3u15v6RCRr2Fx80X3AA4jpkJHcadfhEbviiHFVm58WXjs