1 2 3
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/6/24 10:05 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Duke said:

Willy's Wonderland

One of my favorite recent horror/comedy movies, and more proof that Nicolas Cage is a national treasure.

Unexpectedly brilliant film. Seriously. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/7/24 9:05 a.m.

In high school, we watched “Hush .... Hush, Sweet Charlotte.” Then we had to walk a friend back to her house. I remember that walk being a bit tense. 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/7/24 9:10 a.m.

The Monster Squad is my go-to 80s era Halloween movie. The Lost Boys is also on rotation this time of year.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/7/24 9:11 a.m.

Love these suggestions. This might help me from doom-scrolling the streaming apps, struggling to find the right movie to watch. Keep them coming. :-)

10001110101 Reader
10/7/24 11:19 a.m.

The Stuff. Think man eating killer yogurt.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/7/24 11:28 a.m.

Pumpkinhead: Somewhat cheesy but overall way, way better than it needs to be. Stan Winston directed and the crew was basically an all-star lineup of monster makers that would go on to work on pretty much every major SFX movie in years to come.

From Dusk till Dawn: George Clooney with a neck tat. Groin guns. Exploding vampires. If you're not in already I can't help you.

Salem's Lot (the 1979 CBS miniseries): A not great adaptation of a not great Stephen King vampire story, but still has flashes of absolute brilliance from both the story side and the film side. Plus you get James Mason in one of his final roles being all James Mason-y. Still kind of blows me away that this was broadcast on regular tv. It's got some downright unsettling stuff in it.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
10/7/24 11:30 a.m.

Troll 2

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/7/24 11:31 a.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

An early Peter Jackson film called:

A horror/comedy set in the 50s and it's on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/abwcKGdaSEU?si=94nSiwTMuv9Z87IK

Will add that. Have you seen his first film Bad Taste? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Taste

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
10/7/24 11:34 a.m.

if anyone is open to foreign movies I personally love the Japanese thriller Tag. Its from 2019 and inspired by the title of the novel Riaru Onigokko by Yusuke Yamada. Its a mix of action, drama, fantasy, horror, mystery, sci-fi and thriller. It does have some gore just a warning, especially within the first five minutes,  but it leaves you wondering "what the heck just happened?"

Tag Japanese Movie Streaming Online Watch

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/7/24 11:49 a.m.

Basketcase

Reanimator

calteg
calteg UltraDork
10/7/24 11:51 a.m.

Not horror per se, but Dark City gets slept on 

Trick r Treat seems like a pretty basic horror anthology at first, but the final act is really, really good

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was also much, much better than it had any right to be

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/7/24 12:13 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Pumpkinhead: Somewhat cheesy but overall way, way better than it needs to be. Stan Winston directed and the crew was basically an all-star lineup of monster makers that would go on to work on pretty much every major SFX movie in years to come.

From Dusk till Dawn: George Clooney with a neck tat. Groin guns. Exploding vampires. If you're not in already I can't help you.

Salem's Lot (the 1979 CBS miniseries): A not great adaptation of a not great Stephen King vampire story, but still has flashes of absolute brilliance from both the story side and the film side. Plus you get James Mason in one of his final roles being all James Mason-y. Still kind of blows me away that this was broadcast on regular tv. It's got some downright unsettling stuff in it.

Speaking of Salem's Lot, I just watched the most recent film adaptation that was released this year last night. Having not read the book OR watched the mini-series, I really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for a good vampire flick, and this entertained me thoroughly. Lots of good car spotting too; the main character drives a MGB GT of all things. 

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/7/24 12:14 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

Love this movie.  We had a drinking game in college that almost killed us.  I forget the rules but it was something to do with gratuitous blood on screen or cheesy lines.  

Your mother ate my dog!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/7/24 1:34 p.m.
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) said:

Basketcase

Reanimator

Both the above are recommended for horror cheeze.

Reanimator includes one of the best / worst gratuitous sex scenes in horror history.

Honestly, if you're looking for terribly entertaining scary movies, almost any horror made in the '80s will bring the goods.

Here's a few more for the list:

Pet Sematary - the original with Fred Gwynne and the Ramones theme

Fright Night - Chris Sarandon develops his Princess Bride character as a vampire

The Gate - kids accidentally open a portal to Hell in their basement

House - a forgotten '80s classic, featuring the Greatest American Hero versus Bull from Night Court

The Creeping Flesh - a Vincent Price classic

Trilogy Of Terror - has anybody mentioned the best Karen Black vehicle ever made yet?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/7/24 2:28 p.m.

Find Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories episode "Mummy Daddy." Its hilarious.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/7/24 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Yes...there really was. Some fun automotive eye candy if you paid attention to the background 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/7/24 2:41 p.m.

Bubba Ho-Tep

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/7/24 2:42 p.m.
Duke said:
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) said:

Basketcase

Reanimator

Both the above are recommended for horror cheeze.

Reanimator includes one of the best / worst gratuitous sex scenes in horror history.

Honestly, if you're looking for terribly entertaining scary movies, almost any horror made in the '80s will bring the goods.

Here's a few more for the list:

Pet Sematary - the original with Fred Gwynne and the Ramones theme

Fright Night - Chris Sarandon develops his Princess Bride character as a vampire

The Gate - kids accidentally open a portal to Hell in their basement

House - a forgotten '80s classic, featuring the Greatest American Hero versus Bull from Night Court

The Creeping Flesh - a Vincent Price classic

Trilogy Of Terror - has anybody mentioned the best Karen Black vehicle ever made yet?

Yeah, we like it all. Actually scary, psychological stuff like The Shining, cheesy/campy. Obscure stuff we may have never heard of. "Torture prOn" like Hostel and The Human Centipede. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/7/24 2:46 p.m.
calteg said:

Absolute banger. Honestly I'm shocked this movie isn't a bigger deal.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/24 2:50 p.m.

The "Planet Terror" portion of "Grindhouse" is pretty awesome, and the payoff of "Deathproof" is pretty awesome as well.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/7/24 2:57 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
calteg said:

Absolute banger. Honestly I'm shocked this movie isn't a bigger deal.

Yeah, I remember that being decently good, but it also passed almost directly out of my memory when it was over.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
10/7/24 3:18 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Blunder said:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

If this wasn't here when I got here I was going to be very disappointed. 

This is a yearly requirement in my household. A few years back Universal California had a Killer Clown's From Outer Space haunted house that was one of the best I've ever experienced at one of those events. 

Thanks for starting this, I might throw one on tonight while packing. 

10001110101 Reader
10/7/24 4:59 p.m.

Pulse (1988) terrified me when I was younger. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/7/24 5:10 p.m.

Oooooooh!   OOOOOOOOH!

If you haven't seen Session 9 then you absolutely should.  It's a master class in effective low-budget, story-driven filmmaking.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/24 6:22 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

OK, buddy, you just made a new best friend.

Came here to post that. All Hail Peter Jackson!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
36ikUZPQzwD11U3pE6TlNodbsqZBVm81i0oJwcjk5bX71l18Jv2JxDpsbnsn5djP