1 2 3
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/8/24 8:55 a.m.
Duke said:
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) said:

Basketcase

Reanimator

Both the above are recommended for horror cheeze.

Reanimator includes one of the best / worst gratuitous sex scenes in horror history.

Honestly, if you're looking for terribly entertaining scary movies, almost any horror made in the '80s will bring the goods.

Here's a few more for the list:

Pet Sematary - the original with Fred Gwynne and the Ramones theme

Fright Night - Chris Sarandon develops his Princess Bride character as a vampire

The Gate - kids accidentally open a portal to Hell in their basement

House - a forgotten '80s classic, featuring the Greatest American Hero versus Bull from Night Court

The Creeping Flesh - a Vincent Price classic

Trilogy Of Terror - has anybody mentioned the best Karen Black vehicle ever made yet?

I watched The Gate a lot as a kid. That movie still creeps me out. Good stuff.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
10/8/24 9:12 a.m.

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Duel. Traveling salesman in a Plymouth Valiant gets stalked up and down the California highways by a deranged truck driver in a rusty Peterbilt? Roadside Rattlesnake attractions? Directed by Steven Spielberg? 

Seriously, what's not to like?

IMDb link for Duel

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/8/24 4:51 p.m.

Ran across this, seems to be a few good suggestions. 

https://kotaku.com/best-halloween-movies-disney-scary-spooky-1851654060

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/9/24 9:32 a.m.
10001110101 said:

The Stuff. Think man eating killer yogurt.

"Mom's all cut up and dad's got this harpoon thing in his neck and they're getting bigger!"

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/9/24 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Duel is rather suspenseful. (Not saying that it doesn’t count, but it’s what you can’t see that scares you.)

David S. Wallens
10/9/24 4:27 p.m.

Watched Phantasm recently. Holds up.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/24 7:49 p.m.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
10/17/24 7:18 a.m.

Not quite on target but this popped into one of my feeds and thought it might be close enough to qualify:
The Horror Podcast

It replays vintage radio horror shows.

loosecannon
loosecannon UltraDork
10/17/24 7:35 a.m.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/17/24 9:16 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

Duel is rather suspenseful. (Not saying that it doesn’t count, but it’s what you can’t see that scares you.)

Another one, like the 1981 Salem's Lot, that was also a TV movie that was waaaaay better than it needed to be be.

We're in a really strong age of top-notch TV production, but there were certainly some absolute rockets in the '70s and '80s as well.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/24 9:28 a.m.

Has anyone mentioned "A boy and his dog" (1975)? Darkly hilarious apocalyptic story about the adventures of a boy who can telekintically speak with his dog. DO NOT watch it with a female friend or partner unless they have a high tolerance for dark humor with misogynistic undertones.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/17/24 10:15 a.m.

Anyone mentioned "Attack of the Killer Tomatos"?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/17/24 10:40 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yeah, I did.

A Boy And His Dog is good but I didn't really have it in my own personal spooky genre so I didn't think to post it.  Starring a very young Don Johnson, and based on a novella by Harlan Ellison.

There is some pretty solid Netflix-produced horror in with the crap.  For a long time I skimmed right over anything branded with the red N, but these are pretty good:

• Apostle with Michael Sheen

• The Ritual with Rafe Spall

Some other titles I'll recommend:

• The Babadook - scary, but an actual story rather than genre horror

• The VVitch - disturbingly atmospheric; slow pace suits the story

• Hereditary - genuinely scary

• Midsommar with Florence Pugh - increasingly, disturbingly weird; made by the same writer / director as Hereditary

• The Blackcoat's Daughter (also sometimes known as February) with Emma Roberts - written and directed by Osgood Perkins, Anthony Perkins's son; this is also a slow burn, but trust me, the atmosphere is worth it, and stuff is going on even when it may not seem like it

David S. Wallens
10/17/24 3:13 p.m.

Maybe not scary but it has plenty of monsters: Freaked. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/17/24 7:43 p.m.

For massive amounts of cheese:

Plan 9 From Outer Space - Often bad movies have no sense of pacing and risk boring the audience to death. Somehow the only mistake Ed Wood didn't make with this one was having a good sense of pacing and what would be building tension if you weren't laughing so hard at bad editing and moronic dialog. Also, it's Bela Lugosi's final movie... for all of one scene.

Night of the Lepus - You just can't generate terror with these "monsters", no matter how hard you try. And the movie tries way too hard.

If that's too much cheese for you:

Nosferatu - The original silent one, and a way different take on Dracula compared to Bela Lugosi. There's one with a Type O Negative soundtrack out there too.

David S. Wallens
10/17/24 8:32 p.m.

We’ve been watching the original Twilight Zones, starting with S1 E1. Good stuff. I enjoy the pacing and short form. 

The other night’s was “Perchance to Dream.” I think I have seen that one before as I have been watching these since the year of the flood. Anyway, the premise will keep you awake.

Then there’s the movie from the ’80s: “Wanna see something really scary?”

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nx4EyJ0244ska7RjZNwW2gIxZm1wzuptQEzaSCj83z6I5yEKfVOVyrqzcxs0M6T2