1 2 3
slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
9/2/09 9:26 a.m.

"Standard" is fine with me, as it reflected the situation at the time the automatics came in. Do we have to change terminology for existing items every time something new comes along?

"Transaxle" is a combination transmission and differential, with axles attached as well, so cars so equipped still have a transmission. It just happens to be integrated with other stuff.

Turbochargers were once properly called turbosuperchargers, because they use a turbine to superimpose a larger charge of fuel and air into the engine. Therefore turbochargers are a form of supercharger.

Intercoolers are used between compressor stages. Aftercoolers are used after a compressor, as in many turbocharged cars.

Hmmm ... since the "transaxle" has more than one axle, should it be "transaxles"? But it only has one transmission. And what about the differential that's in there too, why isn't it mentioned? "Transdiffaxles" just doesn't sound right.

My head hurts.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/2/09 9:42 a.m.

On cars with the option, manual shifts are the standard option. So standard is okay v

Joey

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
9/2/09 9:58 a.m.

I drove "three on the tree" cars for years when there wasn't anything else. What is a 3spd with an overdrive called. Semi-automatic? Then you had the weird deal that Chrysler cars had in the '50s. Fluid coupling with a semi-automatic transmission. It shifted when you let up on the gas. It was actually a 4spd . Sort of high and low range. I had a '50 Desoto with one.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
9/2/09 11:05 a.m.

I am only 34,and my first car was a 72 Nova with the three-on-the-tree,and I never had one issue with the transmission or linkage.

I once had a girl I was dating ask me why I kept moving the shifter around so much,and I had to explain that it wasn't an automatic. She still didn't seem to grasp what I was saying,even with a thorough explanation.

PeteWW
PeteWW New Reader
9/2/09 11:21 a.m.

I learned to drive in the late '70s on my brother's '64 Ford truck. Not only was the shift linkage worn and vague, but the steering had a LOT of play (at least 1/4 turn, IIRC). ...and the slippery vinyl bench seat wouldn't move forward. If it had lap belts, they had fallen behind the seats since the origional owner drove the truck off the lot. My mom's Datsun stationwagon felt like a Lamborghini in comparison.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/2/09 11:35 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I am only 34,and my first car was a 72 Nova with the three-on-the-tree,and I never had one issue with the transmission or linkage. I once had a girl I was dating ask me why I kept moving the shifter around so much,and I had to explain that it wasn't an automatic. She still didn't seem to grasp what I was saying,even with a thorough explanation.

Oh crap, did you just say couldn't grasp the shifter and move it around so much? I don't think I want to hear more.

I loved my 3 on the tree pickem up. Company car- No one else could drive it. I drove it for years without a problem, eventually it got passed to someone who quickly tore it up and they installed an auto. Then it was an auto with 3 pedals and a wiggly shifter thingy hanging out the side of the column. Made me a little sad to see the 3 on the tree gone.

How 'bout those old VW Autosticks? One of the early semi-automatics. Essentially a three speed manual transmission connected to a vacuum-operated automatic clutch. When the driver put their hand on the gearshift the clutch would disengage by a 12volt solenoid operating the vacuum clutch. Also had a torque converter. Weird (and weird to drive).

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
9/2/09 11:53 a.m.

The first road vehicle I drove was a '62 Ford pickup with three on a tree. The truck was well worn and a bit sloppy, but fun at the same time. Unibody design, solid axle front, straight six, bench seat. The only options it came with were an AM radio and a heater. Tough as nails.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
9/2/09 12:15 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: On cars with the option, manual shifts are the standard option. So standard is okay v Joey

I recall "building" a Corvette online a couple of years ago, and the automatic transmission was the "standard," with the six speed being an option.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
9/2/09 12:44 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: How many of you have never used a "Three on the tree" There's a lot of older folks on here that probably learned how to drive with this shifter, but I'm betting some of the younger folks won't have a clue as to what it is Hope I'm wrong.

back in the early 1970's I was picked up by a fellow cub scout's dad and he drove an late 1960's impala/biscayne/belair car that had this. I was amazed as it was the first time for me.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade New Reader
9/2/09 12:48 p.m.

Three on the Tree. I drove a early 70's van with that transmission. I think the CabOver design spooked me more.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
9/2/09 1:47 p.m.

i drive a t5 and t56

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/2/09 1:59 p.m.

What was the old joke? My car has three on the tree, four on the floor, and a fifth under the seat. The English language is a fluid and unusual thing.

We refer to a musician's recording as an album, but LPs are long gone (although I hear they're coming back).

We drive on a parkway, and park in a driveway.

A woman wears a pair of panties, but just one bra.

I love the Mother toungue.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/09 2:19 p.m.

See, I thought standard meant a manual with first up, second directly below. A dogleg is a manual with first and second up. I thought that was where the name came from and we just shortened it because no one really makes doglegs anymore. Perhaps in pickups with crawler gears.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/09 2:20 p.m.

never seen one with 1st and second side by side.. seen them with first towards you and down.. with 2nd through to the top gear in the normal positions. I actually prefer that pattern

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/2/09 4:06 p.m.

iirc, the dogleg pattern was for "driving cars" originally, because 1st gear should only be used to get the car moving, then the driver could change more easily between 2nd and 3rd.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
9/2/09 4:21 p.m.
RossD wrote: C6 Corvette, Alfa GTV6, '61 Tempest, MR2, Elise (all rwd cars with transaxles; just sayin' )

Not true with the C6 Corvette. While it does have a rear mounted transmission, it's NOT a transaxle - it's seperate from the differential.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
9/2/09 7:09 p.m.

I used to drive Ford Falcon Divisional Vans with the 250 ci straight 6 and three on the tree, also drove a Chrysler Valiant 265 ci straight 6 three on tree and finally one Holden Panel Van Divisional Van with a 253 ci V8 and three on the tree, all were Aussie cop cars back in the day. The "Divy" Vans were the workhorse of the local police and were used in many, many pursuits.

I also owned a Holden HR with a 186 straight six and three on the tree and finally a Holden Torana 161S ci three on the tree.

I loved em all but the 253 V8 was awesome

donalson
donalson SuperDork
9/2/09 9:25 p.m.

I was about 10 the 1st time I'd seen the 3 on the tree... was my uncles old dodge pick up... when he told me it was a manual shift I didn't believe him... till he pointed out the 3rd pedal... still haven't driven one... would like to give it a shot

thedude
thedude Reader
9/2/09 10:47 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I always call it a "proper" transmission. And when someone tells me they can drive a stick, I always look at them in amazement and ask them if they can teach me to drive around those small pieces of wood that fall off of my trees.

you sound like fun to be around.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
9/2/09 10:58 p.m.

My father owned a 1963 GMC firetruck for a short while.

It had a 5-speed, non-synchro Eaton transmission with a 2-speed axle. You never needed first gear unless you were on a hill with a full tank of water. Pattern went like this:

2-4-R

3-5-1

The 1-2 from low gear was a bugger to get the hang of.

My '67 Jeep has a Warner T98 it's:

1-3-R

2-4

Never need first unless it's loaded, first is 6.something:1

The Super T-10 in my T/A is:

R-1-3

2-4

To me that is a "Standard" shift pattern. I think every modern car now has reverse down and to the right.

Shawn

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/2/09 11:04 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: R-1-3 2-4 To me that is a "Standard" shift pattern. I think every modern car now has reverse down and to the right. Shawn

BMW's, VW's, and Audi's all have

R-1-3-5

2-4-(6)
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/09 11:09 p.m.

when I drove trucks.. the GMC had first down and to the left.. with the 2 speed rear it was only good for when fully loaded and climbing an incline... or for creeping in rushhour traffic.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
9/3/09 1:43 a.m.
RossD wrote: C6 Corvette, Alfa GTV6, '61 Tempest, MR2, Elise (all rwd cars with transaxles; just sayin' )

Aw, ya beat me to it! (I just bought an Alfa GTV6 project)

And yeah, manuals aren't not really "standard" anymore. So I've started calling it a "real gearbox". After all, a slushbox is just a glorified fluid pump, isn't it?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
9/3/09 1:45 a.m.
donalson wrote: I was about 10 the 1st time I'd seen the 3 on the tree... was my uncles old dodge pick up... when he told me it was a manual shift I didn't believe him... till he pointed out the 3rd pedal... still haven't driven one... would like to give it a shot

They're fun. Even though my family had always had US cars, nobody ever had a manual. The first column mounted manual I ever drove was a V-4 SAAB 96 at my buddy's indie SAAB repair shop. It was our parts runner.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/3/09 7:04 a.m.

I have my first three-on-the-tree in 30 years; a 1974 Ford van. I used to ice race a SAAB 96, FOUR on the tree. That's a real stumper for some.

Dan

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5uAVBjWG2mttCkJKvp4qBzvyFwrmqOVpuqNRdPZHFIPLgmJOAb9jRxIFOmfkgpKd