1 2
gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/14/24 2:31 p.m.

I really want a jet boat. Anyone wanna encourage me/dash my hopes and dreams? Looking for experiences and some ideas of what to look for when buying

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/14/24 3:41 p.m.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/24 3:49 p.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/14/24 4:44 p.m.

No experience owning one, the one Toyman built is clever and damn entertaining.

How big of boat are you looking at?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/14/24 4:44 p.m.

Are you talking a jet boat like this:

or a jet boat like this:

or a jet boat like this:

gixxeropa
5/14/24 5:42 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

yeah that's the one I'm thinking of. preferably with a big block :) I've seen a few floating around on marketplace

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/24 5:52 p.m.

If you were a Canadian of a certain age, you'd want a jet boat because of Relic. Then you could jump logs.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/14/24 6:09 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Have you heard the term "eyeball chatter"?

gixxeropa
5/14/24 6:17 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

this? At least that's what it is according to Google

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/14/24 7:55 p.m.

I wholeheartedly endorse getting one so I can live vicariously through you. One thing I know about them is that the fuel consumption is just plain shocking. Something like 3mpg (no lie!) and at 60mph that means 20 gallons per hour (!!!!) or at current prices right around $60/hr just in fuel. A dollar a mile in fuel. And they will go over 60mph at a serious increase in fuels use. Then again how often do you go 60mph on water for an hour straight??

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/14/24 7:59 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

In reply to dculberson :

yeah that's the one I'm thinking of. preferably with a big block :) I've seen a few floating around on marketplace

Is your name Finnegan?  He's blown a couple of those up too.    

There's a skill set to driving one, watch his videos.  There's bunch of things to consider if you're going to have a fast one.  

gixxeropa
5/14/24 8:02 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Yeah I'm not gonna try to break any records or win any races, just wanna cool boat to mess around with

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/14/24 8:06 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I think you're underselling the E36 M3ty fuel economy of boats in general.  The jet boats are super light and flat bottomed for speed but with a big block and a supercharger sucking on a couple of big 4 barrels it wouldn't shock me if it was more like 50 gallons per hour at speed.   The 350 / 4 barrel in my 22 foot cuddy would be about 20 gallons per hour at full throttle.  3 MPG is actually pretty good cruising economy for the average V8 stern drive boat and about where my 22 is at 25-27 mph.  

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
5/14/24 8:11 p.m.

Are you talking about a jet sprint boat. Imagine rallycross  for boats. 

gixxeropa
5/14/24 8:12 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Instead of mpg, it should be measured in dpg (decibels per gallon) 

VolvoHeretic
5/14/24 8:18 p.m.

James Bond Live and Let Die        Because of this movie I have always liked jet boats.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/14/24 9:04 p.m.

If we're talking Jet boats, we have to ask ourselves,  are there any civilian PBRs?

When I hear "jet boat", I think of these:

But I grew up on the Snake River in Idaho where a jet boat is a welded aluminum jet drive boat usually powered by some flavor of a large V8. They are ubiquitous in the region.

This company in my hometown built the Q Boat for the 007 film, The World is Not Enough.

VolvoHeretic
5/14/24 9:56 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Pretty cool 007 boat, kind of unstable though.

The Q Boat From James Bond’s “The World Is Not Enough”

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
5/14/24 11:01 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

In reply to dculberson :

The coolest ones have a foot throttle. And yes it is what you need 

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
5/14/24 11:13 p.m.

A coworker of mine had a name for these low profile fiberglass jet boats. "Baby Launchers"

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/14/24 11:28 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Holy Cow. 50 gallons per hour is just shockingly thirsty. I can't imagine feeding that.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/15/24 7:20 a.m.

Eyeball chatter is doing 130 mph on what looks like a smooth lake but every ripple bounces the boat.  Your eyes can't focus fast enough so what you see looks like a camera sitting on an impact wrench.  And God help you if you flip over in this thing with any speed!

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/15/24 7:33 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

To be fair it's tough to find a lake long and calm enough keep the throttle open long enough to do that.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/15/24 7:42 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If you were a Canadian of a certain age, you'd want a jet boat because of Relic. Then you could jump logs.

Your maple syrup stains are showing! I might be one of the few here that gets this.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cwrNnaPqGBb3AWzJzr9TyM59E7w4moKjloHI5B2klESQ923e2ska9oaYdi8kSspd