1 2
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
10/28/11 4:12 p.m.

Mrs. Twin_Cam bought me a banjo for my birthday last year, the brand is Global. I'm pretty sure it's Asian-made, but the banjo player in the bluegrass band I do live sound for tried it out and he said it was half-decent. And it's loud as hell. So if you find one of those, go for it.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/28/11 6:19 p.m.

Weird. I learned guitar on a 'global' brand acoustic. It was absolutely the biggest piece of E36 M3 I've ever played, including $20 no-name flea market guitars.

Thanks for the advice. When I said "cheap" I was thinking of $100 being the top of the budget. In that range I'm guessing I should just take what I can get.

Any common trouble spots aside from fret/fretboard wear?

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
10/29/11 6:32 a.m.

I'd raise your price limit up to at least $150. I browsed around for quite awhile for something cheap like you're looking for and really never could find anything that wasn't either crap or some ancient 4 string nobody wanted.

One thing you may try is asking guitar dealers in your area. One of my friends does this and takes them in as trades on occasion. He knows nothing about them and just wants them to go away, typically.

If you buy something at least decent it will be easier to sell if you decide this isn't the instrument for you.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xpIVB12YTYwFPuBXSxbuJkAFILOouY0pjBH70PC4ajZZEoAWoGqkQj5SSeZ97RS8