1 ... 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 ... 1658
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/19/23 8:07 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Does expressing this sentiment - honest or not - welcome or discourage nice people who want to play with things that go "vroom"?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/19/23 8:53 a.m.

The part of that post that bothers me is the phrasing of her question.  The word "mostly" seems really out of place.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/23 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

In all honesty, if they can't laugh at a joke about themselves, I don't care. 

I laugh at the Christian jokes, fat jokes, conservative jokes, and white jokes. I usually find them funny because of the grain of truth in most of them. 

There are quite a few groups that should get over themselves and learn how to laugh, not only at each other but at themselves. 

TOP 25 LAUGH AT YOURSELF QUOTES (of 75) | A-Z Quotes

Toyman!
6/19/23 9:05 a.m.

Another one that is funny because of the grain of truth. 

210 Laughing at Yourself ... GREAT Medicine! ideas | laugh at yourself,  funny quotes, bones funny

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/19/23 9:56 a.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/23 10:11 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to fasted58 :

There is at least one openly trans woman in this forum. I'm sure there are other quietly trans folks in our community.

I originally interpreted it as "lol man is indiscriminate as long as he can get laid"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/19/23 10:17 a.m.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
6/19/23 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

To be fair, you didn't ask that question when religion was being made fun of a number of pages back.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/19/23 10:50 a.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

To be fair, you didn't ask that question when religion was being made fun of a number of pages back.

Philosophies and beliefs aren't people.

I see these jokes about trans women as akin to those bumper stickers that read, "No fat chicks. Lowered car will scrape."

There is a difference between laughing WITH someone and laughing AT someone.

Laughing *with*:

bad idea Pure Awesome wheelchair - 6482933248

Laughing *at*: mocking someone walking funny because they have cerebral palsy.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/19/23 10:58 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/19/23 11:04 a.m.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
6/19/23 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

And yet, ask yourself if making fun of religion x would make someone who believes religion x feel more or less welcome. It's a good metric. To answer you later post "Were you laughing with someone or at someone" with the religious jokes, the answer was almost certainly 'at someone'.

I disagree with your basic premise that belief and person can be so easily separated, and further disagree with your implication that on one side it's only belief, and in the other it's purely  person... but would rather chat about something like this over a beer, as I certainly appreciate that it's a complex discussion that is not well suited to an online forum.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/19/23 11:08 a.m.
Toyman! said:

I laugh at the Christian jokes, fat jokes, conservative jokes, and white jokes. I usually find them funny because of the grain of truth in most of them. 

I guess I just don't find it funny because the grain of truth to them doesn't really resonate with me.

The idea that I might find a trans woman attractive just doesn't make me that uncomfortable.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/23 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Welcome to equality. Again. Since we've already had this conversation once, I'll just get to the point.

These people fighting for equality you're trying to defend. That means they get the good and the bad of equality, including jokes about them. In fact, until about 20 years ago, jokes, particularly degrading jokes, were how friends treated each other and how you knew you are accepted with your friends group. Unless they truly want special treatment, in which case, they can shut the berkeley up about equality and make a case as to why out of almost 8 billion people they deserve to be treated special. Gonna need to be pretty impressive berkeleying case. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/23 11:16 a.m.

Hey, check this E36 M3 out. I found a meme today!

Toyman!
6/19/23 11:32 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
Toyman! said:

TOP 25 LAUGH AT YOURSELF QUOTES (of 75) | A-Z Quotes

Are you laughing at yourself?

Are you laughing with someone else?

Or are you laughing at the expense of someone else?

Yes. Yes to all of them. I laugh at people's misfortune. I laugh at my misfortune. I laugh at my kids, wife, siblings, and parents. I laugh at white, black, yellow, red, and brown people. I even laugh at dead people sometimes. 

I find life funny 95% of the time. God's whimsy, Nature's whimsy, call it what you like. I'm an equal opportunity laugher. Nobody and certainly no group gets a free ride.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
6/19/23 11:48 a.m.

This thread has definitely taken an unexpected (but not surprising) turn. 

While not the most politically correct meme, at its most basic level a reasonable statement and not necessarily offensive in the right context. In many ways it's going to become an early relationship question for single people like asking about wanting kids, religious beliefs, dog vs cat, and now hootus or hoohah.

Toyman!
6/19/23 12:04 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

So you think we should be posting lighter memes? OK.

Memebase - lighter - All Your Memes In Our Base - Funny Memes - Cheezburger

My apologies to the smokers in the group. I know this meme is making fun of you. It's still funny though so tough E36 M3. laugh

Toyman!
6/19/23 12:09 p.m.

Maybe that one was a little too much. Let's try a heavier topic...

This one breaks my 345-pound heart. Not for long though, I've got a heart attack coming for me at some point. laugh

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/19/23 12:10 p.m.

There's a new religion in town.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/19/23 1:15 p.m.
No Time said:

This thread has definitely taken an unexpected (but not surprising) turn. 

While not the most politically correct meme, at its most basic level a reasonable statement and not necessarily offensive in the right context. In many ways it's going to become an early relationship question for single people like asking about wanting kids, religious beliefs, dog vs cat, and now hootus or hoohah.

What gets me isn't that I think the meme expresses an inherently offensive sentiment or anything. Rather, that I just don't see how expressing that is particularly funny unless you are bothered by the existence of trans women.

It's like... having an effeminate, gay-coded man in a sitcom. In the past, a character being gay would have been a joke in itself. Now, if an obviously gay man walks onto a TV screen... how is that funny? There is plenty of humor to be found in the absurdities of gay culture. But the mere fact that someone is gay?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/19/23 1:19 p.m.

Back to the memes:

May be an image of text that says 'ON OHNO YOU DONT.. NOT WITHOUT A WASHER!'

Toyman!
6/19/23 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Without the existence of trans persons, it wouldn't be funny. Just like without smokers the lighter joke would fall a little flat. As would the fat jokes. Well, gravity helps them some...

People who are uncomfortable don't laugh. They scroll past and ignore. I would say the uncomfortable person is the one that didn't hit the like button and decided to take everyone else to task about what they think is allowed to be funny. Humor and PC don't go together. Sorry, it's all funny. Every bit of it.

Quit Having Fun - quit having fun meme" Poster for Sale by Borg219467 |  Redbubble

You don't stop having fun because you get old, you get old because you stop  having fun | Inspirational quotes, Wisdom quotes, Spiritual quotes

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/23 1:37 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to No Time :

So you think we should be posting lighter memes? OK.

Memebase - lighter - All Your Memes In Our Base - Funny Memes - Cheezburger

My apologies to the smokers in the group. I know this meme is making fun of you. It's still funny though so tough E36 M3. laugh

I think you misunderstood the joke. I took it as making fun of people that get cremated. I laughed. 

Toyman!
6/19/23 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Oh!! That's even funnier and I get to laugh at another dead person. laugh

1 ... 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 ... 1658

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FyTTttWR6zWlBnO70dkH5UGUzkugtWc4kT6BDVaHXJcLECL5JMWhLuFsnattCMwA