1 ... 624 625 626 627 628 ... 1725
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/21 8:40 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Any chance there's a stash of those sweet red tumblers? Cause I'd be willing to purchase some.  Like seriously.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/21 8:47 p.m.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/7/21 8:51 p.m.

I'll be over where the would be tomorrow. I know there are a couple boxes of late 70's super hero glasses they gave away. Wonder Woman and Superman type stuff.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/7/21 9:51 p.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:

Can we stop with the vaccine memes please? I come here to be Less stressed out not to be inundated with more political bullE36 M3. 

800,000 dead Americans ain't politics

EDIT: Wait holdup, are you like some of us in medicine and trying to relax? If so I'm actually sorry, i'm just used to the suck now.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/21 10:28 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/21 10:41 p.m.

800,000 dead Americans ain't politics

You're absolutely right. A decision was made at the beginning of the pandemic to treat it as a political problem instead of a public health crisis. Hence 800,000 dead, and no end in sight. 

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/7/21 10:52 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/21 11:04 p.m.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
8/7/21 11:29 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/8/21 12:02 a.m.

Can we stop with the vaccine memes please? I come here to be Less stressed out not to be inundated with more political bullE36 M3. 

Vaccination is not political

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/8/21 12:03 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to jgrewe :

Any chance there's a stash of those sweet red tumblers? Cause I'd be willing to purchase some.  Like seriously.

I know you can get the angled ones they use now.

https://www.amazon.com/Coca-Cola-Plastic-32-Ounce-Restaurant-Carlisle/dp/B012EG40SK

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
8/8/21 12:04 a.m.
jgrewe said:

I'll be over where the would be tomorrow. I know there are a couple boxes of late 70's super hero glasses they gave away. Wonder Woman and Superman type stuff.

I'd be interested in a set of those

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/8/21 6:23 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Its cool, I built my own

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/8/21 7:01 a.m.

Precedent has been set by forum staff that vaccine = public health, not politics.

Tom (Forum Overlord) said:

I don't see the need to avoid discussing the benefits of getting vaccinated. It's in Lucky's post. It's not politics, it's not arguing, it's safety in the garage. No different from telling people about the Harbor Freight jackstand recall or how it's a bad idea to open the radiator while your cooling system is under pressure.

Our business requires our audience to be 1. alive and 2. able to go to events. Vaccines provide the simplest way to achieve those goals. And if you'd like to spread vaccine misinformation, please choose another platform.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
8/8/21 9:09 a.m.
Appleseed said:
KyAllroad said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I think that can may be a bit expired.  Those fellas are pushing 90 these days.

You gonna step on that plane, alone, and talk E36 M3?

Darned image didn't upload before. (And I work with the old guys every day as a VA employee, there is no disrespect for them.) 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/8/21 9:27 a.m.

This is the supposed to be the same men in the same C47.

The earlier picture is reported to be from June 6, 1944. If so, I'm amazed that many of them survived the war. I don't know the date of the second picture, but I fear that very few of them are still alive today.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/8/21 10:14 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

I know. Should have added a smiley.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
8/8/21 11:40 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Precedent has been set by forum staff that vaccine = public health, not politics.

Tom (Forum Overlord) said:

I don't see the need to avoid discussing the benefits of getting vaccinated. It's in Lucky's post. It's not politics, it's not arguing, it's safety in the garage. No different from telling people about the Harbor Freight jackstand recall or how it's a bad idea to open the radiator while your cooling system is under pressure.

Our business requires our audience to be 1. alive and 2. able to go to events. Vaccines provide the simplest way to achieve those goals. And if you'd like to spread vaccine misinformation, please choose another platform.

Go look at the Sturgis thread. Lots of assumptions over there about who is and is not vaccinated and who they vote for. 

Unfortunately it has become political, and that's because most of the time it's brought up the statement of "uneducated Trump supporters" gets tossed out by the very people that then say "it's not political"

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/21 12:56 p.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/8/21 1:39 p.m.

Obligatory meme:

10 Tweets to Inspire Brilliant Ideas 

Steve_Jones said:

Go look at the Sturgis thread. Lots of assumptions over there about who is and is not vaccinated and who they vote for. 

Unfortunately it has become political, and that's because most of the time it's brought up the statement of "uneducated Trump supporters" gets tossed out by the very people that then say "it's not political"

They're not assumptions. They are statements about group makeup. No one is saying that if someone is going to Sturgis they're unvaccinated, ride while drunk without a helmet, and have a tattoo of Jesus giving Donald Trump a back rub. But as a group, the group has a lower rate of vaccination than the general public and absolutely is going to be gathering around a bunch of strangers.

It's like... my wife did roller derby for a while. It wouldn't be a shocking revelation to find a conservative-voting stay-at-home mother playing roller derby. But it's a safe bet that a roller derby club as a whole is going to be a lot more liberal and a lot more LGBTQ than the general population.

Vaccination shouldn't be political in the same way that having building wiring up to code shouldn't be political. Unfortunately it has been politicized. Accusing someone of being political for saying, "Hey, I really want all the houses in my neighborhood to have their wiring up to code so that they don't catch fire and burn my house down too," is politicizing the issue.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/21 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

If you want to use the government's gun to control another person's behavior, you are political. 

If you want to use a condescending attitude instead, well, that just makes you a shiny happy person. 

There are plenty of both in this little corner of the universe. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/8/21 3:00 p.m.

Vaccines are political in the same way dogE36 M3 is political. 

People who pick up dogE36 M3 are cool, like those that get vaccinated. People that don't, are nihilists, They don't care about anything (although unlike nihilists, antivaxxers are people to be afraid of, at least if you're concerned about those with compromised immune systems or those that are unable to get the vaccine). It is their choice not to pick up the dogE36 M3, but it is political in the sense that governments can require it of dog owner and people can bitch and moan about that. 

And of course, it is a financial issue (more people vaccinated, the better our economy does, the less taxes/health insurance everyone has to pay). So it automatically becomes political, but it's similar to the way that a Kim Jong-Il or Kim Jong-Un meme is political - there is a group of crazies that get offended by it, and a group of anyone else with a working brain cell.

Note that this is not saying anything about covid vaccine mandates, which do nothing exist in the US.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/21 3:01 p.m.

I think it's funny that one side says people will die if they don't get vaccines and the other side says the vaccines will kill people.  If just a few percent on the wrong side die then the next election will show the results.

I shouldn't have said funny above because it's not.  It's actually pretty sad.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/8/21 3:17 p.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/8/21 3:23 p.m.
Stampie said:

I think it's funny that one side says people will die if they don't get vaccines and the other side says the vaccines will kill people.  If just a few percent on the wrong side die then the next election will show the results.

I have a friend whose daughter lives on a respirator and is too young to get vaccinated (and possibly not healthy enough even if she were older). A group of us started to gather at his house to play D&D once we were all fully vaccinated. Since the news of the Delta Variant, and that vaccinated people can carry and transmit the virus, we are now planning to cancel our gaming again so that we don't accidentally kill his daughter.

It would be simpler if it were "us against them", but the whole system affects everyone in it.

I'll mock myself:

Nerd alert: HighQualityGifs

1 ... 624 625 626 627 628 ... 1725

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gpt2OPbzbJ2bc4Mot8B9UYlUPVg8xC5F52U8ohvpCMGLPG53wbeKaY7nMf1mZWD1