1 ... 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 ... 2016
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/1/23 11:16 a.m.

The same people who set the A/C to 68 in the summer set the heat to 72 in the winter.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/1/23 11:25 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

The same people who set the A/C to 68 in the summer set the heat to 72 in the winter.

65 and winter 72 in summer at my house

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/23 12:30 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
Beer Baron said:

65 and winter 72 in summer at my house

That's about what we tend to do I believe - usually 70 in summer and 64 in winter during the day; at night (since we like it cooler when we sleep) it's 68 in summer and 60 in winter.

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/1/23 12:31 p.m.
Puddy46 said:

Engineers, please stop trying to solve a problem that's already being fixed.  

At least a problem actually exists (or did at one point)- we engineers have a habit of trying to solve problem that don't exist...

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/1/23 12:49 p.m.

Trying to solve a problem for work. I've looked at this every way that I know how to, found several other ways I didn't know about, have had input from my more experienced boss, and every way I've tried has shown that we can't do what they want to do within the parameters they want. I've come up with an alternative that isn't as simple, and may require some more complex analysis but should be possible to justify with the simplified work I've already done. Unfortunately my boss & the senior engineer on this effort seem to think I'm just not finding quite the right way to approach it so that it will work the way they want it to. I'm far closer to modifying these memes and sending them to them out of frustration than I should be...

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
11/1/23 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Oh trust me, I know.  I work in a office full of them.  Myself included.   

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/23 1:49 p.m.
Puddy46 said:

The cavity magnetron was invented to get around paying royalties on a patent.

It turned out to be a better idea, and led to radar installations small enough to be mounted on aircraft, and able to detect things as small as an individual airplane, in WWII.  The Luftwaffe braintrust assumed that the RAF's ability to know when and where they were about to attack was due to having 4x as many airplanes as they really did. 

It was so important to the war, that it was only installed on planes over sea, so that downed planes could not lose their secrets. The new radar systems helped completely destroy the German submarines, because they could no longer hide under cover of darkness when they had to come up for air.

Sometimes reinventing the wheel has benefits, is all I'm getting at.  A lot of times it is just to get around paying royalties.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/1/23 1:51 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

62 summer, 78 winter here.

Not a typo.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/1/23 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

67 winter, 78 summer.  Energy is expensive.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/1/23 2:07 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
Puddy46 said:

At least a problem actually exists (or did at one point)- we engineers have a habit of trying to solve problem that don't exist...

They were leading a priest, a drunkard and an engineer to the guillotine. They
asked the priest if he wanted to face up or down when he met his fate. The
priest said that he would like to face up so he would be looking towards heaven
when he died. They raised the blade of the guillotine, released it, it came
speeding down and suddenly stopped just inches from his neck. The authorities
took this as divine intervention and released the priest.
Next the drunkard came to the guillotine. He also decided to die face up hoping
that he would be as fortunate as the priest. They raised the blade of the
guillotine, released it, it came speeding down and suddenly stopped just inches
from his neck. So they released the drunkard as well.

The engineer was next. He too decided to die facing up. They slowly raised the
blade of the guillotine, when suddenly the engineer said, "Hey, I see what your
problem is."

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
11/1/23 2:08 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Sometimes reinventing the wheel has benefits, is all I'm getting at.  A lot of times it is just to get around paying royalties.

And sometimes if you wait 15 minutes for the IT guy to call back, it'll get fixed.  

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/1/23 2:23 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Beer Baron said:

Not a typo.

Open sourcing Cody

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/1/23 2:29 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Beer Baron said:

Not a typo.

You're going to have to explain this one... 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/1/23 2:51 p.m.

68 winter with overnight / unoccupied setback to 64.

72 summer with overnight / unoccupied setback to 76.

Energy is expensive but part of the reason I make money is so I can be comfortable.  I don't have arbitrary dates for heating / cooling activation.  Any time I can't keep it in range with natural ventilation or fans, I'll turn on heat / AC.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
11/1/23 2:59 p.m.
Duke said:

Energy is expensive but part of the reason I make money is so I can be comfortable.

Amen. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/1/23 3:04 p.m.

This could belong in the first world problems thread.  My job stability has dropped enough that I am cutting out a lot of unnecessary expenses.  I will not be ordering a Motocompacto.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/23 4:09 p.m.
Duke said:

Energy is expensive but part of the reason I make money is so I can be comfortable.  I don't have arbitrary dates for heating / cooling activation.  Any time I can't keep it in range with natural ventilation or fans, I'll turn on heat / AC.

QFT.

70-71 summer. I would run it colder but below 70 the power bill jumps significantly. 

64-66 winter. I love cold. 64 is as low as my wife will put up with. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/1/23 4:31 p.m.

Caffeine is a lousy treatment for depression.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
11/1/23 4:47 p.m.

Expedition has gone from "annoying misfire" to "I don't want to put my kids in that" in like 2 days and 20 miles. Sucks.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/1/23 4:53 p.m.

Wally M came up in my faceballs friend requests.  Freaking government looking at my business.  

All kidding aside GRM Wally showed up in FB?  WTF.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/23 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

So like a month ago I turned the account I deactivated back in 2011 back on. One of the first suggested friends to me was a girl I met in 2012 and haven't talked to since 2014, who lives on the other side of the country.

Who I don't have a phone number for and never had an email address for. 

It has since recommended a former acquaintances father, who I only met once while living on the west coast, that lives in Minnesota. Again, no phone number or email, haven't seen him since 2012. 

It's very disconcerting.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/1/23 5:08 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

Wally M came up in my faceballs friend requests.  Freaking government looking at my business.  

All kidding aside GRM Wally showed up in FB?  WTF.

You're probably friends with someone he's friends with, or else you both have reacted/responded to the same posts enough. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/1/23 5:13 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Beer Baron said:

Not a typo.

Open sourcing Cody

The thermostat got moved from somewhere that made sense thermodynamically, to somewhere that made sense aesthetically.

When set for 78 in the winter, my bedroom is about 55F and most of the house is in the upper 60s.  The only actual part of the house that warm (or cold) is the area immediately surrounding the thermostat.

I am one of those that prefers to sleep in a hot room, so winter kinda sucks without a complete re-engineering of the house's HVAC ducting.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
11/1/23 5:13 p.m.

To echo the temperature comments in here:  We have programmable thermostats at church.  72 is the setting, a/c or heat.  I got some strange looks when I commented how "72 sure is nice in the summer but way too hot in the winter...odd, isn't it?"  Does not matter where I put it, someone will complain.  

wae
wae PowerDork
11/1/23 5:29 p.m.

This is part of a (painful) course that is supposed to be test-prep for the College Composition CLEP exam.  I'm sure glad they're teaching me not to palagiarize.

1 ... 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OD7k6GzhHbsGPzK0teBYqzeQP3aKRtrxG6dfyzlX4mjGoLC9lZSeEuEd8xFiDLRA