1 ... 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 ... 2016
Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/8/23 4:24 p.m.
wae said:

Who decided that a spicy chicken sammich, some fries, and a sugar drink from Wendy's is worth over $11!?

I like Wendy's, but PW has the amazing ability to make an inexpensive lunch or dinner out not inexpensive. Instead of a simple burger combo, she'll get some combination of a smaller burger combo and some chicken thing because... well, who knows why? When we go to Wendy's it's a hair over $30 for the two of us.

As a result, we don't go to Wendy's

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/23 7:11 p.m.

The battery in my wife's Explorer died this morning. Thankfully, she was only about 2 miles from the house. I grabbed my jumper cables and the truck gave it all she's got but it wouldn't jump start. I had to run back home grab some tools, remove the battery on the side of the road, go buy a new battery and then install the battery. All of this while it's a busy ass day at work.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/8/23 11:52 p.m.

I just saw a clip from Everybody Loves Raymond.

That is the worst piece if E36 M3 TV show about the most hateful, useless shiny happy people in the history of the world.

berkeley. 

Now I'm not going to sleep, because I hate the world that can create such worthless garbage.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 7:41 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

No, that would be King Of Queens.

The single redeeming quality is Jerry Stiller, and even that is just a retread of his Seinfeld character but with worse material.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
11/9/23 8:16 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

"Kevin can Wait" was even worse.  Oh man so much worse.  At least "King of Queens" had Jerry Stiller.  That absolute legend of a man.

If you hate those titles, check out "Kevin can F himself"  It's a spoof and also a masterpiece IMO. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/9/23 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

PW watches those shows in rerun and you're you're both right.

I don't like it, but I can tolerate King of Queens. Everybody Loves Raymond, that's an awful show. I think every time I've seen it I've wondered, how did that even get on TV?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 8:32 a.m.

I mean, I have hated every single thing I have ever seen Kevin James in, that's a given.

But I never even heard of Kevin Can Wait. Weren't like half of those people also in KOQ?

Maybe I never watched enough of Everybody Loves Raymond to hate it. I can't say I've ever seen a whole episode start to finish.

Is he a conniving, immature moron like Kevin James is?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

No, just full of annoying voices and pointless storylines. Peter Boyle couldn't save that show, and I'll gouge my own eyes out before I sit through another episode.

I'll admit a big portion of my hatred for the show, and Ray Romano in general, is it being the only show my dad would watch for months at a time. The same dozen episodes over and over and over. New on Mondays, then all week and weekend long in syndication on tbs and tv land. Couldn't even escape it in my bedroom, because God forbid anyone admit they had a hearing problem so the volume was always way too high, and that tv was directly beneath my bedroom.

At least Leah Remini was cute on king of queens, when her mouth was shut. No such luck with Everybody loves Ray.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/9/23 9:22 a.m.

I just in general hate the whole "hapless dad/husband" shtick.  It's really old.  Unfortunately, it's about the only acceptable comedy trope left in the world that doesn't offend a protected group.  All those shows take the hapless dad/husband to the extreme, which is why they are terrible.  

We've been watching old reruns of Bewitched, Dick van Dyke, and Green Acres.  The male characters are still somewhat hapless, but at least a little less one-dimensional.  However, I am very  unhappy that someone colorized all the old Bewitched episodes at some point.  When I was a kid, in the 90's, watching these on rerun, they were all black and white.  When Mrs. VCH first saw them in rerun they were in color (sometime in the early 2000's).  I guess it happened at some point in the interim.  I have threatened to turn the TV to black and white, but Mrs. VCH likes to see them in color so I've relented.  I have to admit, I do kinda dig all the pinks and browns and greens in the interior decor.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/9/23 9:37 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I think only the first one or two years of Bewitched was B&W. It's PW's all time favourite.

We watch mostly vintage TV, 50'-70's, and just yesterday my youngest son said, after watching an episode of Barney Miller for the first time, TV shows were so much better back then.

volvoclearinghouse
11/9/23 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

We found all the seasons in order, looks like even the early years are colorized now.  I think Bewitched is Mrs. VCH's all-time fav too.  

Agreed, almost any older TV is gangs better.  We've watched all the seasons of Taxi and a lot of Sanford & Son.  A little newer, but I always liked Frasier.  Mrs. VCH isn't too into it, though.  

Any other TV shows in that time frame (50's - 70's)  you like?  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 9:46 a.m.

Meh, there was crap back then too, just like pop music.  Formulaic commodity "entertainment" exists across all eras and media.

I agree about the hapless dad / husband trope.  Add in the dimension of a character who is always scheming to get away with something, and it's just intolerable to watch.

volvoclearinghouse
11/9/23 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

The difference is, the formulas were mostly being invented then, since TV was new.  Yes, there were plays and stuff before that, but the way TV was produced made it different and new.  

TV was better back then, so was music, and so were the cars. cheeky  Fight me! And then get off my lawn!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/9/23 9:51 a.m.

Cheers and Frasier are two shows that I could watch indefinitely. Frasier might be the best situational comedy of all time. 

volvoclearinghouse
11/9/23 10:01 a.m.
mtn said:

Cheers and Frasier are two shows that I could watch indefinitely. Frasier might be the best situational comedy of all time. 

Frazier wasn't as uniformly good as Cheers was, and the material got a bit thin towards the end, but yes, I'd say those two shows (which ran for pretty much my whole childhood into adulthood) were a real high water mark for TV, something we look back on now and wonder how it then all went so very, very wrong.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 10:07 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Duke :

TV was better back then, so was music, and so were the cars. cheeky  Fight me! And then get off my lawn!

I was born in early 1965.  They really weren't.  It's just survivor bias.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/9/23 10:18 a.m.
Duke said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Duke :

I listen to a bit of American Top 40:  The 70s almost every week because it is on the radio while I am running errands.  Yeah, definitely a lot of survivorship bias going on there.

volvoclearinghouse
11/9/23 10:29 a.m.
Duke said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Duke :

I will grant you that for cars- there's not too many 6 cylinder powerglide Camaros running around, and all the lemons have either long ago been ground up, or restored to better than original condition.  

But for music, TV, and movies, everything is still out there, and in "OE" condition.  And whenever I run across a youtube channel of some guy's '60's record collection or some channel on Roku showing obscure older TV/ movies, my reaction is more often than not "Wow, that was pretty good, I wonder why I'd never seen/ heard that before?"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 10:37 a.m.

Having lived through a lot of it the first time, my reaction is more usually "Wow, I had forgotten how terrible this was."

There was good stuff then, sure, but there is good stuff now too.  And there is crap in both cases, too.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 10:49 a.m.

Modern TV is only good for one season. Maybe two. Then they jump the shark and it goes downhill fast. 

Modern movies are the same. I don't care about your message. Just entertain me for an hour or two without a near-constant blood bath. That's it. 

Modern music is hit or miss. Unfortunately, radio stations make you wade through the crap to find the few gems. I tend to default to classic rock and country stations on Pandora mixed in with some Disturbed, Big Band, and Jazz music. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 11:06 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Modern TV is only good for one season. Maybe two. Then they jump the shark and it goes downhill fast.

You do know the origin of the term "jump the shark", right?

It was coined about an episode of a popular TV show that aired... 45 years ago.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/9/23 11:14 a.m.

Possible flounder worthy rant replaced with this: People are incredibly stupid and far too gullible. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 11:14 a.m.
mtn said:

Frasier was very well written, but the basic premise was extremely one-dimensional:  over-intellectualized yuppies versus, well, the real world, as embodied by their aging blue collar father.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/9/23 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

So what?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 11:20 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

So it gets old quickly.

1 ... 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.