1 ... 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 ... 2016
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/16/23 5:44 p.m.

Y'all are making me miss Missouri Hick BBQ.  The owner died a few years back, though, so I have no idea if it is still as good as it used to be.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
11/16/23 5:45 p.m.

I am finding it harder and harder to want to hang out here, there seems to be people that feel they need to ruin every thread they enter for some reason. I actively avoid threads I see them having been the most recent poster of, but more often than not they are seeping into almost everywhere with needless, incessant negativity. 

At least the build threads are still safe for the most part. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/16/23 8:24 p.m.
DjGreggieP said:

I am finding it harder and harder to want to hang out here, there seems to be people that feel they need to ruin every thread they enter for some reason. I actively avoid threads I see them having been the most recent poster of, but more often than not they are seeping into almost everywhere with needless, incessant negativity. 

Hear hear

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/17/23 5:48 a.m.
tuna55 said:
DjGreggieP said:

Hear hear

Yup 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/18/23 12:23 p.m.

It's almost like, maybe a MOTORSPORTS forum isn't the place we ought to be discussing topics which are guaranteed to get political. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/18/23 12:46 p.m.

Me: Hi. You messed up my subscription to an online service. I called about this two days ago, and it hasn't been fixed yet. I'd like to cancel my subscription and get a refund.

Support: We have a policy of 48 hours for an opportunity to resolve issues. So you will have to wait and call back in... two hours.

Me: Really?

Support: Well I can cancel the account now...

Me: Uhm...?

Support: I've gone ahead and canceled your account.

Me: Uhh... did you refund my money?

Support: Umm... no. I'm sorry sir. You have have to wait the full 48 hours.

Me: So I still have to wait and call you back to get a refund.

Support: Yes, sir. After one hour and... thirty-seven minutes.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/23 2:04 p.m.

Got a fraud alert on my credit card this morning. Thankfully there was only one transaction and it was for $0. Probably just testing it out. Currently on hold with the CC company.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/23 9:56 p.m.

Little Monohue managed to pick up another cold last week, and has been stuck indoors since Thursday, which is damned unpleasant for a four-year-old. He's in great spirits, probably due to getting extra attention, but has this hacking lung crud that grabs hold and sometimes won't let go for twenty minutes or so. And now Mrs Monohue has it, too.

I'm really hoping this doesn't do what colds usually do, which is drag their way through each of us one at a time, thus maximizing the damage to the household economy. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/20/23 12:50 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Sounds like what I have. I've been chewing lung butter since Thursday.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/23 7:29 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Y'all are making me miss Missouri Hick BBQ.  The owner died a few years back, though, so I have no idea if it is still as good as it used to be.

Where is that one?

I went back to KC this week for a funeral and picked up one pound of Joe's burnt ends. $22(!!!!)

The drive home saw me picking up a smokehouse sandwich from Arby's too (sauceless, as required) and yes indeed I could smell the smoke on my fingers. Price per pound it was a lot more than $22. It's not like I have the time for it but I may have to see what I can do on my own patio.

Thanks for the info on the Carolina style. Sauce isn't my thing so I must be misremembering how it's been called but I can't tell you how many times I've been invited to someone's house for "BBQ" and all they did was dip chicken in sauce and throw it on some foil on the grill. That's how KC Masterpiece (the restaurant) did it, too. Leaves the chicken absolutely bland once the skin is consumed. 

Obligatory rant of the day:

Going to a funeral and the speaker/minister talks up what a great person they were and goes so far as to proclaim, "and we know that no one could have anything bad to say about them."

Well now you have lost anyone in the crowd who actually knew the person. In this instance, I happened to know that her daughter had many heartaches due to the decedent's parenting style, just to scratch the surface. I didn't want to be a jerk but when I got a chance to speak I AT LEAST acknowledged, "we have many fun memories to share, and yet at the same time we know that no one is perfect..." SMH

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/23 8:44 a.m.

Apparently, your 42-point checklist didn't include checking the transmission fluid. It was only low enough that cold oil was making it slip. 

As an add, holy E36 M3 does Dextron VI smell like the northbound end of a southbound elephant. That stuff is downright vile. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/20/23 8:58 a.m.
P3PPY said:
eastsideTim said:

Where is that one?

It's in Cuba, a little bit off I-44.  Hopefully still good.  Was excellent without sauce, but they also had multiple good sauces, too.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/20/23 9:30 a.m.

People got the Holiday crazy driving mode going already. I sent a car into oncoming traffic this morning which could have been my wife coming the other way.

Pulled out in my fit onto a steady traffic 2 lane 45 mph road leaving our neighborhood in an area with not the best sight lines and immediately had a crossover fly up behind me and flash their lights. I ran on up around the corner and had them tailgating me 5 ft off the bumper doing ~50 down the next stretch. I punched it up to ~65 or so and threw it into a 30 mph right hand turn with them right behind me. They misjudge and sent them into oncoming traffic, a car coming the other way swerved into the grass to avoid, and ended with them in a tank slapper and stopping sideways in the road.

I pulled off to the side at a driveway watching in mirrors. They just drove off just as fast as before past me. I got caught at a light and a school zone but watched them fly through both and lost site before highway.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
11/20/23 9:33 a.m.

I really hate living in the land of rusty cars. My DD is just a crusty mess underneath. Working on it is a nightmare. Rear brake pads turned into new calipers which means new brake hoses. At this point I'm taking it somewhere to get worked on because I'm tired of working on rusty E36 M3 boxes. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
11/20/23 10:18 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

I really hate living in the land of rusty cars. My DD is just a crusty mess underneath. Working on it is a nightmare. Rear brake pads turned into new calipers which means new brake hoses. At this point I'm taking it somewhere to get worked on because I'm tired of working on rusty E36 M3 boxes. 

My friend, you are definitely not alone in this!

My rant: sinus infection. Woke up at 3am feeling like I'd been punched in the face.

volvoclearinghouse
11/20/23 12:33 p.m.
johndej said:

People got the Holiday crazy driving mode going already. I sent a car into oncoming traffic this morning which could have been my wife coming the other way.

Pulled out in my fit onto a steady traffic 2 lane 45 mph road leaving our neighborhood in an area with not the best sight lines and immediately had a crossover fly up behind me and flash their lights. I ran on up around the corner and had them tailgating me 5 ft off the bumper doing ~50 down the next stretch. I punched it up to ~65 or so and threw it into a 30 mph right hand turn with them right behind me. They misjudge and sent them into oncoming traffic, a car coming the other way swerved into the grass to avoid, and ended with them in a tank slapper and stopping sideways in the road.

I pulled off to the side at a driveway watching in mirrors. They just drove off just as fast as before past me. I got caught at a light and a school zone but watched them fly through both and lost site before highway.

Not quite so eventful, but related: I have come up to my driveway on a few occasions and had cars tailgating me as I'm slowing down with my blinker on to make the left into it.  To the point where I've nearly been rear-ended.  People seem to have a hard time dealing with the concept of a car making a random left turn where there isn't a crossroads (there's lots of driveways on this road, but it is fairly rural so speeds are higher and traffic generally thinner)

My solution: about 1/2 mile before my house is a fairly tight right hand turn, marked at 30 mph.  I know that a) there's no houses or driveways along this turn, and b) I can easily take it at 55 mph.  The road after that is a long uphill to my driveway.  So if i take the turn fast, and maintain speed as I crest the hill, anyone who might have been following too closely before the turn is a good 1/4 mile behind me when I go to turn into my driveway, so I can make the turn without worrying about them tailgaiting me.  

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/23 1:14 p.m.

My work is gonna send me to Europe next year, which would normally be a win. But it's gonna be for 6 weeks, about 4 weeks longer than I'd want to go, and I'm gonna miss the first two races I planned on entering next year, plus, none of my hobbies travel very well. At least I'll get to go skiing I guess

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/20/23 1:42 p.m.

OK, so you want me to work on your project, which is a program I've not done any direct work for in a while and which requires special access to be granted for some of the software needed. Why then is it pushing 2 weeks since you said I was going to be working on this and you've still not taken the steps necessary to get me the access I need? Especially when you know that at least in theory at the beginning of December I'm going to have to drop whatever else I'm working on to start on a more critical task? At this point I'll likely get the access just in time to say, 'Thanks, but I've got to start working on XXX now!'

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/23 1:46 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

When I used to live in reasonable states where the at-fault person pays for the damage they do to my car, I didn't really mind such behavior. The closer people got to me, my thought was routinely, "new car for meeeeee...???"

In Michigan, being rear-ended costs ME money. >:(

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
11/20/23 1:47 p.m.

Folks are just out raging. Something in the air? Idk, but seems like the entire world is due for nap time. 

wae
wae PowerDork
11/20/23 2:17 p.m.

I understand that you live in Canada and I understand that you want to have this project wrapped up ASAP.  But I will not be joining a con-call at 11am on Thanksgiving morning.

volvoclearinghouse
11/20/23 3:31 p.m.
wae said:

I understand that you live in Canada and I understand that you want to have this project wrapped up ASAP.  But I will not be joining a con-call at 11am on Thanksgiving morning.

I'll likely be 2 drinks in at that time.  

wae
wae PowerDork
11/20/23 3:39 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
wae said:

Amateur

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
11/20/23 6:30 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Might make the call more entertaining though....or not.

volvoclearinghouse
11/20/23 6:58 p.m.
wae said:
volvoclearinghouse said:
wae said:

Amateur

It's all about pacing.  Thanksgiving is an endurance race, not a sprint.

1 ... 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nzwl19H9zOm77XJwsmcJpd3pNvpMmo7SbAjyeEZeFbVlQceSifS891OcM1Z6tpiv