1 ... 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 ... 2014
Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/11/24 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Would gladly trade honestly, and will move back to the south again in the next 5-ish years.  11 years in Pittsburgh with 9 months out of the year consisting of clouds/rain/cold has made me long for the heat again.  People here in Pittsburgh literally melt after it gets above 72-degrees with almost no humidity.     But I acknowledge I'm one of the few that prefers the heat. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/24 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I'm pretty sure I'm going to turn into a snowbird and migrate as needed. South in the winter, north in the summer. At a minimum, it will be somewhere above 3000' in the mountains for the summer and on the coast in the winter. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/11/24 11:25 a.m.

Woke up in the middle of the night to The Bat barking her head off at an intermittent beeping that we quickly determined to be the alarm complaining because the power was out. Wasn't anything we could do or really needed to worry about (unlike last Spring's power outage, it hasn't rained in days and the sump pump wasn't going to be needed) so we at least tried to get back to sleep until it was a more normal time to get up.

Got up a bit earlier than normal (as I couldn't really sleep well with the intermittent beeping of the alarm and worrying about the power being out), grabbed the new, stupidly-huge battery/inverter and hooked the fridge up to it so we wouldn't lose any food, and tried to go about my day as normally as possible until the power finally came back up about an hour ago.

Why the heck are we randomly losing power for 5 hours on a very mild day (it was like mid-50's overnight) with no rain or real wind? Even more curious given The Dancer's assistant lost power at her place for a few hours yesterday (which was also a rather nice day). Granted- if we're going to lose power I prefer it to not be when the sump pump is running at like a 50% duty cycle so if we had to I couldn't really have asked for a better time. But what the heck caused a tree/limb to fall on a power line at 5 am on a calm night?

Also: Dammit Apple, why can you never keep AirDrop berking working right? Before the last few updates I could easily AirDrop pictures from my phone to my iMac, but now it just sits with the phone saying 'Waiting' and the computer not showing any evidence that anything is happening. And also- when I say to download a picture from a text/iMessage (since that's what I have to use when AirDrop doesn't work) I mean download the file to the computer not 'download it into Photos which I never use'.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
6/11/24 1:05 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tuna55 :

There is some level of irony in that your project is a truck that will primarily haul air in the future.  laugh

I had the exact same thought.  

As a guy who has owned a pickup truck for most of my life, I reject the stereotyping.  I have driven many trucks with beds "full of air" as the kids say.  Usually on my way to pick up a load, or on my home having just dropped one off.  Logically, most pickup trucks must have their beds full of air at least half the time they are on the road.  

Most of the pickup trucks I see driven on the road are being driven like normal cars.  The ones that do behave poorly are just crappy people, or perhaps just having a crappy day, it's not necessarily related to their car of choice (though they may have chosen said vehicle, and modified it, probably more out of enthusiasm than spite).  The click-bait articles online would have you believe differently, and stereotypes get likes, as we can see from the 10+ on the OP's post.  Everything's gotta be "red state/blue state", even though I know plenty of Democrats who like their trucks and plenty of Republicans who like their hybrids.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/11/24 1:16 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tuna55 :

There is some level of irony in that your project is a truck that will primarily haul air in the future.  laugh

I had the exact same thought.  

As a guy who has owned a pickup truck for most of my life, I reject the stereotyping.  I have driven many trucks with beds "full of air" as the kids say.  Usually on my way to pick up a load, or on my home having just dropped one off.  Logically, most pickup trucks must have their beds full of air at least half the time they are on the road.  

Most of the pickup trucks I see driven on the road are being driven like normal cars.  The ones that do behave poorly are just crappy people, or perhaps just having a crappy day, it's not necessarily related to their car of choice (though they may have chosen said vehicle, and modified it, probably more out of enthusiasm than spite).  The click-bait articles online would have you believe differently, and stereotypes get likes, as we can see from the 10+ on the OP's post.  Everything's gotta be "red state/blue state", even though I know plenty of Democrats who like their trucks and plenty of Republicans who like their hybrids.  

Nobody actually hauling anything has ever given me trouble. It's only empty trucks, presumably commuting. You can not like it, but's actual hard-earned data. Those mentioned, in those proportions, drive as if they are angry with me just for having an EV. This was not a thing in other vehicles.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/24 4:19 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

... stereotypes get likes, as we can see from the 10+ on the OP's post.  Everything's gotta be "red state/blue state" ...

Most people here are typically a little more sophisticated than that. It could also be that others have had similar experiences. I have. Nobody's accusing you of anything. 

And nobody else made this political. One comment that a guy sees butthurt behavior even in a reasonably progressive area is not exactly a culture war.

Unrelated minor rant:

Is there a logistical reason my lawn mower carburetor had to come from Rancho Cucamonga to western Oregon by way of City of Industry, Rancho Cucamonga, Los Angeles, Eugene, Portland, City of Industry, Los Angeles, Sacramento, and Portland? You guys getting paid by the mile or something? Am I gonna see this turd anytime soon or should I call it now and order another one?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/11/24 4:43 p.m.

DM's rant reminded me of one of my own- our lawn guy hasn't come by to mow our lawn for like 3 weeks now and our back yard is getting ridiculously long. He's said he would be coming by on like 3 different days (well, 2 days and then sometime over this last weekend)- he said he'd be coming by today, but I've not heard anything from him. And the landscaping company he recommended to come trim the trees/shrubs/bushes in our front yard hasn't gotten back to me for like a week now either.  

Yeah, it's kind of a First World Problem (though not as much as if I'd ranted about the toilet seat being cold this morning because the power was out and the heated seat on the bidet seat was obviously not working), but it's still annoying. At least we pay him each time he mows and not a flat rate per month.

Still better than having to do it myself though... I really hate yard work (yet somehow I'll put up a fence in the dead of summer). 

volvoclearinghouse
6/11/24 7:16 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Maybe it's the "I drive and EV and I'm better than you" bumper sticker you've got?  devil

volvoclearinghouse
6/11/24 7:19 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Yes, the Rivian comment was political, too. That comment was less about Tuna's comment and more about the innumerable articles I've seen attempting to lump all pickup truck owners into one big red evil box. 

volvoclearinghouse
6/11/24 7:22 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I mean, most of that carburetor's frequent flier miles were accumulated in the voyage from Schengyen, PRC to the dock in California; some minor bopping about the west coast is relatively inconsequential.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/11/24 7:27 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Maybe it's the "I drive and EV and I'm better than you" bumper sticker you've got?  devil

????

I don't understand. This is the rant thread. I ranted. 

It happened again just now. Lifted (empty) Ford tailgated me, roared around, really close to my quarter panel, cut me off, then proceeded at the same speed I was doing, 56 in a 50. 

I think maybe you need to think about why you're so sensitive about my rant, which had nothing to do with you, politics, Rivians, or stereotypes. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/24 7:36 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I noted this often in the certain demographic suburb where I used to work.  If I was road testing a customer's Prius or Tesla, I got all the road rage turned up to eleven.  Guaranteed.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/11/24 7:37 p.m.

Maybe you're not actually allergic to wheat.

Maybe you're allergic to all the crap they've been spraying on it for the past 40 years.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/24 9:09 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I thought VCH was making a joke. Maybe there is history that I haven't paid attention to. 
I don't drive an ev so I can't compare but knowing some of the douches that live in my area with modded diesel trucks (not work trucks mind you, parking lot queens) I would not be at all surprised if you were 100% right. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/11/24 9:28 p.m.

I will never understand why people stay in relationships that are just berkeleying terrible.

There's a happier way to live

volvoclearinghouse
6/11/24 10:55 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

It was a joke, relax. 

volvoclearinghouse
6/12/24 8:21 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I mean, it's right next to the "Guys with lifted trucks have small wangs" sticker, isn't it?  

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
6/12/24 8:31 a.m.

We got a new ERP system 3 years ago.  Finance has been micromanaging every quote that we have submitted because "we lost money last time, just look at the scan data."  In the same meeting, they will say things like "well, we can't trust the data we get from scans."  

The problem isn't the estimates, it's the actuals coming from production.  That's getting resolved with some major leadership changes, but it's going to take some time to wash out.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/24 8:38 a.m.

This rant directed at redditors, not anyone here.

Quit making everything about politics, you berkeleying brainless morons. 

The NYT is, at best, a gossip rag. If you are dumb enough to pay $25/month for access just to their recipe section, that is filled out by Web crawling bots, YOU'RE A berkeleyING MORON. End of discussion. 

It has nothing to do with who I'm voting or not voting for, has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with you having more money than brains or even taste. 

Good on them for finding out that thousands of people would subscribe every month for their "curated selection" of web ripped recipes. You were dumb enough to fall for it, so own that decision. 

Attacking me when I point this out and calling me a *redacted* supporter like it's some kind of insult just proves to everyone else reading with more than one braincell inside their head what a disgustingly useless waste of space and oxygen you are. 

You need to apologize to every single plant you come across for wasting all the oxygen they're producing that goes into your lungs.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/12/24 9:48 a.m.

Two and a half weeks ago I sold my retired Yaris to someone off Facebook marketplace for $500. Their last car got the catalytic converters stolen, they were riding everywhere on bikes, and they needed a car to get by for the time being. The Yaris is not something to be driven long-term, due to rust issues, but it does run and drive, so they paid me, I gave them the title, keys and a bill of sale, and now two and a half weeks later, it's still sitting in my driveway. Messaged them on Facebook to say "Hey, when do you plan to come get the car?" and got left on read. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/24 10:22 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

From the opposite end of the spectrum. 

My parents are looking for a mid-size 4x4 truck. They went to look at a very nice Colorado last week. 2012, 75k, super clean, $17k, about 2 hours from home. The guy met them at their bank. They looked at the truck and agreed on a price. Then the guy wanted them to pay for it but not take possession of the truck for 2 weeks. 

Why would a seller even think that's a possibility? How stupid would you have to be to do that? Marketplace people are insane. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/12/24 10:28 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

There is something in modern society, a childishness, perhaps, that results in this.

"I like pineapple on pizza."

Option 1:

"I don't.  I prefer all meat on mine.  What are you doing Saturday afternoon? Want to check out the car show?"

Option 2:

You are a berkeleying moron.  I bet you also like the political figure I hate, and that makes you evil, and if I ever see you in real life, I'm going to murder death kill you."

I don't like it.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/12/24 1:12 p.m.

Our 16 YO cat has stopped eating after a couple of years of dealing with an illness.  Today may be the day he crosses the rainbow bridge.  This will be the first time my kids have had to lose a pet and they will be devastated.  Maybe I'm numb at this point, since there's so much heartache in the dog and cat business, but I'm feeling at peace knowing he's sick and potentially suffering.  Hoping I can support my family to bring them some peace and comfort.  Wish us well. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/12/24 2:04 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Just went through this, though it wasn't a first for us. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/12/24 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Guy comes at 5pm and argues out a price on my 225,000 mile Honda Civic ($3500).  Deal wrapped up and all paperwork's final and cash in my pocket.  Plates have been removed and are in my garage (Illinois).  

Guy looks at me and says okay if I leave it the street for an hour while I check out another car?  No plates on it?  Leave it in my drive - take the keys.

Guy wants to set the keys on top of the front tire so he won't bother me.  No, if  it gets stolen?  Different guy comes back at 11pm.......

1 ... 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 ... 2014

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o0agOxUdQdN9e8lxgxxUltL3TsK5GmjN3XRpqVoRrL75jZAwYb4G1fhRMj9DIGYd