1 2 3
karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/16/23 10:17 p.m.

Today I was driving my work truck, yesterday I was driving my wife's truck. It occurred to me that they are both reasonably comfortable vehicles to ride in/drive but they aren't *that* comfortable. I don't think that any of the more recent modern cars I have owned/driven have been truly comfortable. 

My parents have a 94 conversion van they bought new when I was in 3rd grade that had amazing Flexsteel seats, but it still rode like a van and the driving position/pedal placement leaves a lot to be desired.

The 94 Explorer my Grandpa gave me when I turned 16 had very comfortable seats and the perfect driving position, but it still rode like an SUV.

I think the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven/riden in was my Grandparent's 91 Cadillac Deville. 

I know this is all very subjective, but what is the most comfortable vehicle you have driven? Do you take comfort into consideration when you are buying a vehicle? I certainly haven't in any of my vehicle purchases in say the last 15 years.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/16/23 10:29 p.m.

It's hard to define comfortable ...

My '09  Subaru Outback had internal space for Africa, soft comfy seats for longish periods and rode  quite nicely on what passes for main highways in NZ. Nice family road tripper if I wasn't in a hurry.

My '03 Focus ST with half leather Recaro seats was a pain to get in and out of and the ride was a little choppy but once the road got twisty was like wearing a nice glove. My choice for most anywhere except daily driving.

Horses for courses I guess smiley 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
9/16/23 10:57 p.m.

The most comfortable vehicle ever produced was the 1996 Buick LeSabre w/ leather. 

I'll take no argument. 

Lexus LS is pretty tough to beat in my experience, but I hear tell that some Jags also soak up road imperfections really well...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/16/23 11:32 p.m.

I used to work at a tire & service center chain, different locations, and I worked the counter where it was our job to pull cars into the shop.  So there's lots of very brief test drives, basically, and the car that I came away most impressed with from a "what seemed like a very nice place to spend time in comfort" standpoint was a 1998 Infiniti Q45.  I know these were a step back in performance from Q's both before and after but if I wanted a four door something to eat miles for hours and hours I would go looking for one of these.  I also like the styling and general profile of the thing with the profile of a '64 Newport.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/16/23 11:41 p.m.

The 1987 Lincoln Towncar I bought from my father for $1500.  

I too wonder cause I have a higher mileage Silverado and 1000 mile weeks is exhausting - I think about a Cadillac sometimes.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/23 11:44 p.m.

There's a reason it's called a Cadillac ride.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
9/17/23 12:24 a.m.

A Lexus GS400 I owned for a while was a lovely place to be. Also, in Australia we had the 1997 Nissan Altima, but it was called the Bluebird. It was pretty fast for it's time, had a manual transmission and was a really comfy car for long road trips.

Jason McRoberts
Jason McRoberts New Reader
9/17/23 12:33 a.m.

I still totally miss the 1983 Caddy Coupe de Ville I had in the late nineties. E36 M3 engine, E36 M3 transmission, falling headliners and all. That thing handled better than something that rode like that, and rode better than something that handled that way had any right to. As long as you were on the highway. In town it was garbage. ;-)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/17/23 12:57 a.m.

Buicks from the late 11990's early 00 seem to get this right. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/17/23 2:24 a.m.

In college, I got my grandmother's hand-me-down '85 Lincoln Town Car. Blue on blue on blue on blue on blue.

On year we went to the Houston Bowl. So me and three friends drove it from Stillwater, OK to Houston, TX to game stayed a few days and then came back.

Comfy doesn't describe it. Too bad the 302 was pretty sad.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/17/23 2:28 a.m.

I hate that the topic even has interest for me.

i liked it better when all i cared about in ride and handling was "competitive in Street Prepared."

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/23 7:34 a.m.

A modern Volvo is tough to beat seatwise. But an S class for smoothness and refinement. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/17/23 7:58 a.m.

I'd say it really depends.  The most comfortable highway cruiser I've owned was my 1990 Ford E150 conversion van.  Front cloth seats were like lounge chairs.  Set the cruise control and a smidge over the speed limit, turn on the rear accent lights, and it felt like I was driving my living room. I could do 8 hour drives in that van and arrive without feeling tired.  So far, the limited driving I've done in my 1992 E350 conversion van has been similar, despite the heavier duty suspension. 

My ex- owned a 1996 Volvo 850T wagon for a a couple of (painful) years. Definitely some of the most comfortable front seats I've ever sat in.  I'm pretty sure if that car had a manual transmission she would still have it (the automatic gave her no end of grief).  There have been a couple of Volvo 1800s with owner-swapped 850 seats and it's something I'm considering for mine.

The current 2017 Grand Caravan GT is a comfortable car. At least the front seats are - I understand the stow-n-go back seats are nothing to write home about, but I haven't seen them in years, so not a concern to me.

Also, comfortable to me also means a bear minimum of technology: working stereo with a CD player; fully functional HVAC; and working cruise control. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/17/23 8:00 a.m.

My 2006 Mustang is all-day comfortable to drive as far as the seats. The live rear axle and low height make it not perfect for my aging self. It's the most comfortable car we own, though, so it rates high from lack of competition.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
9/17/23 8:43 a.m.

I have an E class but yeah an S class is the most comfortable barge I've ever driven.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/17/23 9:36 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

The most comfortable vehicle ever produced was the 1996 Buick LeSabre w/ leather. 

I'll take no argument. 

My grandmother had one with cloth... or something similar to velour...  it was soft, you sank into the seat, could practically steer with one finger. 

That vehicle with modern driver assists, infotainment, and slightly better drivetrain/suspension NVH would be in the all time running.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/17/23 9:40 a.m.

Our 91 Lincoln Continental was the most comfortable car we ever owned.  But it was a turd for reliability.  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/17/23 9:54 a.m.

The most comfortable vehicle may have something to do with who has the most comfortable ass.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/23 9:56 a.m.

Our E450 motorhome is honestly the most comfortable vehicle currently in our fleet for long distance driving. My parents '78 Lincoln Towne Car very much met the definition of a "road sofa" though.  

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/17/23 10:17 a.m.

The 1990 Volvo 740 turbo wagon was probably the most comfortable I've owned. Second place is 1988 Honda Accord.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/17/23 10:33 a.m.

Just did 4000+ mile road trip in my 2017 V60, my only complaint was that driver's side arm rest got a little uncomfortable during 10 hour stints.

LS430 and the GX/LX SUVs also get nods for being nice places to spend time

travellering
travellering Dork
9/17/23 11:57 a.m.

Not new, not fast, but if you have ever sat in one, you know....

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/17/23 12:38 p.m.

I think the competition here has to explore the difference between cruising around town, vs driving 1000 miles.  Also, climate control in all temperatures.

Go drive an old xc90 halfway across the country and come talk to me again.  Then do it in the winter...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/17/23 1:36 p.m.

You guys seem to enjoy stuff that drives like a Barcolounger.  Not me... lack of support and I get cramps over long distances. 

I vote for the VW Jetta 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GW1BYH2hb8QJGaCmN4KdfDirNWpePseI4QQUrEV4c7TOEKRfW5fKrqE9UsUV0evH