1 2
bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
8/17/24 8:26 p.m.

Local news sez:  "meh, something might maybe have blown up??"  Weather guy blames aliens.

WAVY-TV crack reporting

Proximity to The Farm noted...

Gary
Gary PowerDork
8/17/24 8:32 p.m.

Reflection of Darlington.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/17/24 8:32 p.m.

I'm sure the CIA will disavow any knowledge of said smoke ring.

Gary
Gary PowerDork
8/17/24 8:33 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Ongoing investigation.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
8/17/24 9:01 p.m.

I'm up in RVA and folks are going ape E36 M3, looks like a minor explosion left a ring. I've seen single shells of 4th of July fireworks leave similar. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/24 9:02 p.m.

Black rings are how the aliens in Arrival communicated...figures that we'd get the crappiest alien contact in real life. Brace for horrendous paradoxes I guess...

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
8/17/24 9:18 p.m.

Saw something similar at Disney a couple years back

If I was an alien, I'd probably land at the happiest place I could find. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/18/24 10:22 a.m.

Not to spoil the fun but when transformers blow up they often produce a smoke ring that looks just like the one in the photo.

AllTop Article, July 24, 2015

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
8/18/24 10:31 a.m.

59 best Arrival (the film) images on Pinterest | Funny images, Funny ...

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/18/24 11:33 a.m.

Mercedes commercial filming?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/18/24 1:10 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

Not to spoil the fun but when transformers blow up they often produce a smoke ring that looks just like the one in the photo.

Hopefully it was Starscream, he was always one of the most annoying.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/18/24 1:38 p.m.

Swap gas.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/18/24 2:46 p.m.

Another spy barroon from China?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/18/24 4:00 p.m.

Jolly Green Giant blowing smoke rings?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/18/24 4:08 p.m.

The annular smoke formations in photos of the aftermath of blown transformers are dead ringers for the object in the mystery photo. 

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
8/18/24 5:15 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

The annular smoke formations in photos of the aftermath of blown transformers are dead ringers for the object in the mystery photo. 

News report linked above:  

"(We) reached out to the James City County Fire Department to ask if there were any reports around the time the Williamsburg circle was reported. The fire chief hadn’t heard of any.

"We also asked if Dominion Energy if there was a blown transformer that could have caused this. We received a response from spokesperson Tim Eberly. He said he touched base with their operations center and the supervisor who oversees the Williamsburg/James City County area and both relayed there were no incidents this week involving equipment that could have caused a black ring of smoke."

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/18/24 9:27 p.m.

In reply to bludroptop :

Well, you know.  This could be the first time in the history of mankind that government/big business wasn't entirely honest with the dissemination of information to the public.  frown

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/18/24 11:24 p.m.

Privately owned transformers do exist. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/19/24 8:28 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Most are.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/19/24 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Well, it depends on where you fall on the "can you own sentient creatures" debate. Also on the "Are intelligent machines sentient" debate I suppose!

triumph7
triumph7 Dork
8/19/24 9:23 a.m.

Just take it as being the complete opposite of what you are being told!

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/24 9:28 a.m.

okaaaaaay, so why, in an age of unprecedented scientific advances, does it seem like our society increasingly embraces superstition, paranoia and conspiracy?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/19/24 9:42 a.m.

Seen also in Germany.   Fireworks, to birds to bugs.  I'm going with bugs looking at the edges at 11 nd 2 o'clock.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/19/24 9:50 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

okaaaaaay, so why, in an age of unprecedented scientific advances, does it seem like our society increasingly embraces superstition, paranoia and conspiracy?

I often wonder this myself. If you have the internet, you literally have all the information in the world at your fingertips, then choose to ignore it. 

I've noticed a direct correlation between people who believe in conspiracies with other beliefs, but I don't want to flounder this thread. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/19/24 9:54 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

No idea.  But the rational distrust of media is a product of experience.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/403166/americans-trust-media-remains-near-record-low.aspx

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8sPqDnFVufv5RDngVsSVJMmQBU5aMXTogcgi3RTAaQpWScFiXfmtpX3f47jZL1bY