wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
12/25/09 1:51 a.m.

So my wife is staying with her mother when I'm deployed (bad idea but that's another story and lesson learned) and she's driving one of the family vehicles. Needless to say, I'm the only car enthusiast around the joint. Well so I'm driving the protege 5 my wife is driving, I start to notice stuff.

The brake pedal shudders, I highly doubt an oil change has been done in like a year, the rear wiper blade is disintergrated. I can't really hear any rattling cause my mother in law put the most god awful loud exhaust can on it.

So since, my wife and 2 young toots are going to be riding in this car, and I haven't had time, or the inclination to try to repair stuff. Does anyone know anyone around the area I can have my wife take the car to after I've left. What kind of service is suggested at 80k miles on this car.

Well besides that I've had a decent automotive 2 weeks, I got to drive a really fun car 328xi and the protege 5 (freaking like a go cart, too bad on the auto trans, and other crap listed above) The Beemer had an auto, but it's a 6 speed and man it was a little telepathic in Sport mode with all driver aids off

Okay well then...

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
12/25/09 6:52 a.m.

You may want to drop JThw8 a line, he's in South Jersey. If he doesn't know, I'm sure he could point you in the right direction

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/25/09 9:42 a.m.

Where in Jersey is it?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/25/09 11:03 a.m.

yes... that can help us Jersey guys find you a place

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
12/25/09 11:34 a.m.

Hamilton, Trenton area.

mad_machine
12/25/09 1:31 p.m.

ah.. that area of the state that neither North Jersey or South Jersey wants... sorry, I am down by Atlantic City

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/25/09 2:11 p.m.

JThw8 will help.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
12/28/09 7:03 a.m.

Hey where's the jersey crowd at???

mad_machine
12/28/09 8:31 a.m.

at the shore... where all the cool people (and guidos) hang out

davidjs
davidjs New Reader
12/28/09 9:21 a.m.
wherethefmi wrote: So my wife is staying with her mother when I'm deployed (bad idea but that's another story and lesson learned) and she's driving one of the family vehicles. Needless to say, I'm the only car enthusiast around the joint. Well so I'm driving the protege 5 my wife is driving, I start to notice stuff. The brake pedal shudders, I highly doubt an oil change has been done in like a year, the rear wiper blade is disintergrated. I can't really hear any rattling cause my mother in law put the most god awful loud exhaust can on it. What kind of service is suggested at 80k miles on this car. Okay well then...

My front brakes seem to go pretty quickly on the P5 as well

For service (especially if you're planning on being gone for a year-ish), obviously the brakes, but you may want to check the motor mounts as well. They seem to get pretty wobbly on a lot of cars...

Not sure if this link will work, but Edmundshas the factory schedule up, and you're not supposed to replace the timing belt until 105k (since it's a NJ car - if you were not in one of the "emissions states" you were supposed to do it at 60k)...

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
12/28/09 2:39 p.m.

Ok, since I've been called out twice now :) Sorry 'bout that, been rebuilding my computer and generally doing holiday stuff so I haven't been checking the forum.

Hamilton is up near my office, I'm actually about an hour south of that. I'd be happy to take a look at things/do some maintenance if she can get it to me on a free weekend. We have a few team work days coming up so if it can make it here on one of those we'll have a few guys that can work on things during "head scratching" moments on the Wartburg.

If you would just like a recommendation on a good place to go, its not exactly local to her but Craig's at 111 S. Pemberton Rd. Pemberton, NJ 08068 609-894-4258

Its about the only place I'd take my car. I worked for Craig for years before leaving to get into computers and he is an honest and very skilled mechanic and only employs the same. There's another place more local to my house that my wife used before we met (and now when I dont have time) I've been there and talked with the owner a few times and its another good small local shop that I'd recommend but its even more of a drive from where she's at.

I can ask around the office for some more local recommendations to her if you need.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/28/09 5:24 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: Ok, since I've been called out twice now :)

Trust me, it was intended as the highest compliment.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
12/28/09 6:23 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
JThw8 wrote: Ok, since I've been called out twice now :)
Trust me, it was intended as the highest compliment.

I took it as such, I just feel bad it took me so long to respond :)

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/09 9:38 a.m.

It's harder to find a phone booth to get changed in these days

audifan
audifan New Reader
12/29/09 9:59 a.m.

I am in North Jersey about 1 hour from the hamilton area maybe 1.5 hrs, I have a shop and would be more than happy to help out a fellow GRM'er please let me know if I can be of assistance C

mad_machine
12/30/09 2:02 p.m.

I am about 2 hours away... (no direct highways from here to there) but if I can help at all..

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
1/18/10 8:04 a.m.

thanks, my wife is going to call Craigs today.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/18/10 2:46 p.m.
wherethefmi wrote: thanks, my wife is going to call Craigs today.

Cool, hope it all goes well!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0nQfR4pwrE9tWZF6S8YkNqV5dpUroRG3uxw5mWkTeduW7HJuQGK3F6srh5KLX7UJ