mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/08 7:56 a.m.

Downloading a program from a friend, he managed to infect my computer with a nasty virus called "antivirus 2009" and mcaffee didn't catch it!

Any hints to get rid of it.. this thing has all but made my gaming computer useless with it's constant popups to download "upgrades" to the program to get rid of it.

moxnix
moxnix New Reader
8/19/08 8:25 a.m.

combofix I clean that crap from multiple computers every week with it.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
8/19/08 8:29 a.m.
Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/19/08 9:55 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: mcaffee didn't catch it!

Expecting a virus to find a virus? Naaaah.

AVG is a free and stunningly effective anti-virus.

For pay it doesn't get any better than Keperskey (sp) or NOD32 (or something close to that).

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
8/19/08 10:07 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Expecting a virus to find a virus? Naaaah. AVS is a free and stunningly effective anti-virus. For pay it doesn't get any better than Keperskey (sp) or NOD32 (or something close to that).

AVG maybe? free.grisoft.com will get you to it

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/19/08 10:21 a.m.

If i didn't get symantec with free updates from life for free from my school.. I'd use AVG or avast

I guess it really wasn't free then huh

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/19/08 10:25 a.m.
internetautomart wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
Expecting a virus to find a virus? Naaaah. AVS is a free and stunningly effective anti-virus. For pay it doesn't get any better than Keperskey (sp) or NOD32 (or something close to that).
AVG maybe? free.grisoft.com will get you to it D'oh!
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
8/19/08 11:56 a.m.

Grisoft's AVG is about the best free one you can get, it's better than most pay versions. There is a pay version of AVG that is even stronger. I had to use it and buy it once, the free found the virus but couldn't remove it. The pay version cleaned it up. And it's a lot cheaper than other pay programs. A 2 year subscription for less than half the price of 1 year of McAffee or Norton.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/08 12:57 p.m.

You'll probably have to go into safe mode to get rid of it.

Update McCrappy, reboot into safe mode, let it scan the entire system and see if it gets rid of it.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=222067

Worst case, you'll have to build a boot disk or put the drive in another system to scan and remove the virus without it getting into memory.

After you remove the virus, start the machine off the network and scan it again to make sure it isn't still hanging around trying to download more payloads.

Good luck! Stefan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X5Odb00Hnc0evux67PSxtzvv6gkdniQ67g0iEDAhCbpGRsy0huh7ANe40FCpcIpc