1 2 3 4 5
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/8/16 1:32 p.m.

Tired of the term polar vortex. When did this becomes a thing? Every time that phrase gets used, someone gets nut cancer.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/16 1:49 p.m.

Would you prefer "storm of the century" or "snowpocalypse"?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/8/16 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

How about old school- cold from coming down from the north.

Which all it is, anyway.

Keith Tanner
12/8/16 1:53 p.m.

Just plain "north wind" usually covers it. But that doesn't grab readers by their cancer-riddled nuts.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/16 1:55 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: Driving my 2wd truck to Michigan in a week. This should be a blast. Looking forward to sitting still and watching it snow while I'm there.
MEh, I've never owned a 4wd truck.

My last 4 have been 4x4. I've used it on the street exactly zero times

I did realize this morning the transforce ht highway tires that came on the ram kinda suck when it's icy. But so does most everything when you're trying to stop a 4 ton truck with another ton and a half of trailer.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/8/16 2:21 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: LOLZERS

The last winter i spent in Pennsylvania, this actually happened to our front door due to drift. No E36 M3.

People wonder why I berkeleying HATE snow.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
12/8/16 3:04 p.m.

Haha. Not a ton of snow here in Southern Alberta, but it's chilly. -29 Celsius. Not sure what that is in Fargenheet. Pretty damn chilly though. No Mosquitoes here.

I will say that GM knows how to make a kick-ass block heater. My D-max was blowing warmish heat KOEO this morning.

It's DRIFT SEASON WOOOHOOO!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/8/16 3:07 p.m.

Yes, but my local weather is always more extreme and volatility compared to anywhere else in the world at any given moment. /sarcasm.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/8/16 3:12 p.m.

In reply to doc_speeder:

-20 Fahrenheit. berkeleying 3 Adam's apples cold.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
12/8/16 3:40 p.m.

Snow tires are installed on 3 of the 4 vehicles, just need to see some deeper snow so I can go out and have some fun on the back roads. As for it getting dark early, the answer is Hella. Once I get some driving lights on the Miata, winter night driving is a hoot.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/16 3:57 p.m.

Winter driving on unplowed back roads is one of my absolute greatest joys in life. Bring on the snow!

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/8/16 6:00 p.m.

As I tell anyone who questions what sort of winter we will have.

"Two things for sure. It will get cold and there will be snow."

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
12/8/16 6:04 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

"cold coming down from the north" > polar vortex

2 words sum up 6 words, seems efficient to me.

Keith Tanner
12/8/16 6:10 p.m.
doc_speeder wrote: Haha. Not a ton of snow here in Southern Alberta, but it's chilly. -29 Celsius. Not sure what that is in Fargenheet. Pretty damn chilly though. No Mosquitoes here.

Ahh, Alberta. "Sure it's cold, but at least the mosquitoes are mostly gone".

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
12/8/16 6:19 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: This just in: It's December, and thus winter in the northern hemisphere. Nobody should be surprised. And yet, somehow, people always seem to be surprised every year.
You shut your whore mouth. I know you're right, but I want it to me April.

Whoa.

I didn't realize "whore" wasn't an auto filtered word. I would've assumed it would be auto swapped to "Amy" or something by now

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/16 6:21 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I spent a fair part of last night smacking mosquitoes. I wish it would freeze just to kill off those little bastards.

Looks like you're supposed to drop just below freezing tonight. Weatherman says we've got 2 nights in the 20's in the Cola area...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/8/16 6:57 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Driving my 2wd truck to Michigan in a week. This should be a blast. Looking forward to sitting still and watching it snow while I'm there.

Hmm, don't you have an economical car you aren't sure what to do with? Bring it by my place on the way!

It was blowing and 20 most of the day here; perfect day to work on my truck in the driveway and put up a snow fence!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/8/16 7:44 p.m.

Alberta Clipper is another popular winter weather term around here.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
12/8/16 9:09 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo: I have one of that kind of picture from last January. And I live in the middle of Maryland! Had to clear that enough to get the snowblower out.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/16 10:44 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Looks like an early cold snap will hit the northern tier next week. Looks like a good ice racing season.

there is ice racing and there is ice racing.

iceboarding

ice sailing at 80mph

PeteD
PeteD GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/9/16 5:23 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Would you prefer "storm of the century" or "snowpocalypse"?

"Snowpocalypse" at least makes me smile ... like "sharknado"

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/16 6:35 a.m.
secretariata wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: I spent a fair part of last night smacking mosquitoes. I wish it would freeze just to kill off those little bastards.
Looks like you're supposed to drop just below freezing tonight. Weatherman says we've got 2 nights in the 20's in the Cola area...

38 was the best we could do at my house. That's not cold enough.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/9/16 7:23 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: How about old school- cold from coming down from the north. Which all it is, anyway.

Cold does not come,

Specifically it is a lack of heat......

So it is all that Northern Heatless Air that is to blame.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/9/16 8:28 a.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

Thermodynamics!

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
12/9/16 1:09 p.m.

I don't mind end of January or Early February. It's December when it's more damp and the temps fluctuate that gets me along with the loss of day light. Then we start planning tests down south, and I get thinking about the warmth and palm trees. It's torture.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jpP4IosJzOljmG42IGwLtO3NBlxTKws3TXVb3Nt18DA6DmfykmRRj8imRcQ55byD