fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/21/22 4:55 a.m.

NEW YORK (AP) — Meat Loaf, the heavyweight rock superstar loved by millions for his “Bat Out of Hell” album and for such theatrical, dark-hearted anthems as “Paradise by the Dashboard Light,” “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad,” and “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That),” has died. He was 74.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/meat-loaf-bat-out-of-hell-rock-superstar-dies-at-74/ar-AASZSd9

*could admins please correct the title to Meat Loaf to be proper, TIA.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/21/22 5:26 a.m.
mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/21/22 6:19 a.m.

Damn. That is a big loss. I can still remember the first time my dad played Bat Out Of Hell for me, it was a lot of fun. Somehow I don't think I own it, but I'll have to grab it and play it for my daughter. She'll love it. 

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/22 6:22 a.m.

He Is name was Robert Paulson.  His name was Robert Paulson. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/21/22 6:44 a.m.

crying

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/22 6:59 a.m.

I saw him play at Toad's in New Haven. He put on a hell of a show.sad

I actually ran into him one time hiking at a state park. He was super friendly, but it did not appear to be his favorite sport.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
1/21/22 7:28 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

He was super friendly

My buddy was backing him up years ago, somebody screwed up and his band didn't get their food. So they helped themselves to Meatloaf's buffet.  He wasn't so friendly that day. 

Shortly after that album came out, one of my quicker witted friends, referring to the good start I got that morning said, when that gate dropped,  you were gone like a bat out of Meatloaf. I still use it to this day

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/21/22 8:56 a.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

Title fixed. And rest in peace. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/22 9:08 a.m.

If you saw his picture in 77 you wouldn't have thought he would have made 74. Well, now hes free. Free to do whatever his spirit wants. Even that.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/21/22 9:13 a.m.

The first "real" concert I ever attended with my friends was Meat Loaf. Saw him at the Fox Theater in 1994. One hell of a performer. His health had been terrible for years so I'm not really shocked. I know Steinman was the his main song writer, but Meat Loaf's delivery of the lyrics was just packed with emotion. "Objects in the Rearview Mirror" hits harder as I get older.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/21/22 9:18 a.m.

Oh no, not Meatloaf again!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/22 9:29 a.m.

i remember hearing Paradise for the first time as a kid and thinking "WTF are they broadcasting a baseball game on *this* radio station?!?!"

RIP Meat Loaf

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/21/22 9:43 a.m.

He was the biggest star to bounce through my little college.  Rest easy and thanks for the music.

"A native of Dallas, Aday was the son of a school teacher who raised him on her own after divorcing his alcoholic father, a police officer. Aday was singing and acting in high school (Mick Jagger was an early favorite, so was Ethel Merman) and attended Lubbock Christian College and what is now the University of North Texas. Among his more notable childhood memories: Seeing John F. Kennedy arrive at Love Field in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963, then learning the president had been assassinated and driving to Parkland Hospital and watching a bloodied Jackie Kennedy step out of a car."

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/21/22 10:12 a.m.

Saw him in concert during the Bat Out Of Hell 2 tour.  Was an awesome concert, almost felt like a broadway show.  His last tour date near us got canceled due to health reasons, so my wife never got to see him.  Rest in peace.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/22 10:46 a.m.

Back in the '70's, I worked security at a Meatloaf concert.  It was at the St. George Theater, on Staten Island.  Fairly small venue.  He was friendly, and put on one hell of a performance.  Felt bad when I heard about his passing.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
1/21/22 11:04 a.m.

He's no longer praying for the end of time, to hurry up and arrive...

RIP - I have enjoyed his music over the years. Will celebrate his life with a YouTube music video binge of his performances tonight with my wife.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
1/21/22 11:09 a.m.

RIP   Saw him at one of the outdoor events at the Pinecrest back in the 70's. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/22 11:11 a.m.
fusion66 said:

He's no longer praying for the end of time, to hurry up and arrive...

RIP - I have enjoyed his music over the years. Will celebrate his life with a YouTube music video binge of his performances tonight with my wife.

Watch them in the order that they were in on the album.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/22 12:21 p.m.

I know what I'll be having for dinner in his honor. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/22 12:38 p.m.

Fun Story...

About twelve years ago I was taking care of my binocular business when I stopped to admire a very nice Triumph motorcycle from around the late 60's.

I heard heavy boots clunking up from behind me and a voice said "like the bike?"  I said "yes" and the owner and I spent the next five minutes or so discussing the various modifications that had been made to it.

The owner eventually got on his bike and started to put his helmet on when he asked "know who I am" and I said "yah, you're Meatloaf".

He cracked a nice smile, fired her up and, yes I'm going there, road away like a Bat Out of Hell.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/21/22 12:53 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Ha! That's what my wife sent me for lunch today, and we didn't even know yet!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/21/22 1:00 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/22 1:30 p.m.

I heard the story behind the name was that in high school he was dared to let a car (VW bug maybe?) drive over him. It did not quite clear him and he was pretty cut up and someone said "dude you look like meat loaf!"

Gary
Gary UltraDork
1/21/22 1:47 p.m.

I was very late to appreciate his talent ... the past 10 years or so. He was a great overall musician and will be missed. RIP.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Axfy5wakqrmS7FopENxCtYq7mU9hDI4As1aNIpIgUJDrDNcmoC8LIQVthulaHGWF