David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/20/24 9:55 p.m.

Even though Milton passed through here more than a week ago, we still have water on the road.

While following someone on a sport bike this evening, he got to some of that standing water before we did. My eye seemed to lock onto his white helmet as it went down and to the right. He laid it down. We were probably a good hundred feet back. 

A few guys on bikes heading towards us stopped, and the dude was back on his bike fairly quickly. No idea how he’ll feel tomorrow, but I’m going to guess he’ll be thanking himself for wearing that helmet plus jeans, a padded jacket and gloves. 

As we passed him and the other bikers, I heard him say that he just locked up the rear and rode it down....

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/20/24 10:16 p.m.

Straight road or on a curve?  Standing water, what might be hiding under that water, and turning in such conditions always makes me pucker and I'm the slowest guy on the road when I'm riding a motorcycle.  Hopefully he doesn't hurt too much in the morning.

The rear brake comment really confuses me but I really don't use the rear brake much at all myself.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/24 10:22 p.m.

I stopped riding when I had kids. My life is more than just me now, and I have had a few friends pass away while riding. I still miss it, but just can't justify the risk. Glad this guy was ok. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/20/24 10:34 p.m.

Straight road because Florida. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/20/24 10:58 p.m.

Harley? Because favoring the rear brake is definitely a cruiser thing.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/24 11:30 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

OP says sport bike. 

It's pretty easy to lock up the rear on a sport bike since more of the weight is on the front. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/21/24 1:28 a.m.

I get that. I've had the front wash out under braking a few times and its spooky. Have it happen enough, and I can see even a sport bike rider end up dragging the rear brakes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N4Uypgq4YTkcfQ7AmBP6hM6rpC6YYmeWWQAR8JAQQlmrpvibumgV6QP8QqqCJ9Mx