4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/21/13 2:10 p.m.

So, Dear ol Dad is turning 60 in the near future, and I have no idea what to get him. He likes cowboy stuffs (seems to think he is one lately). In the past weve gotten him a Silver belt buckle, nice boots, pearl snap cowboy type shirts, a pocketwatch...he already owns a nice hat and is taking lessons.

Dad is also a big golfer, but has A LOT of gear, and claims publicly not to need any more.

Dads a big reader - but doesnt want a nook/Kindle, and buys himself books all the time.

Im not sure what to get him...at this point, hes got everything he really wants, and Im afraid more "stuff" is gonna just be clutter. Hes a BIG guy, so a ride along in a racecar or the like would be pretty uncomfortable for him. Horesback riding is out also because of his size.

I guess Im just not sure what to get for someone like him. I want to take him to a ballgame, but want something small in the $30 range or so that I could also put in a box - everyone should get to open an actual gift on their birthday...

Any suggestions for a wannabe cowboy who plays golf when hes not reading?

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
6/21/13 2:18 p.m.

Bourbon for the cowboy, Scotch for the golfer.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
6/21/13 2:37 p.m.

How about a Swiss Army Knife? Every guy should carry some sort of knife and i'm sure he would find some use for it..

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/21/13 2:51 p.m.

Get him 2 - 30 year olds.

MTI_Racing
MTI_Racing New Reader
6/21/13 2:59 p.m.

driving school for he and you would be fun. i mean your asking on a car forum so, idk what kind of answers you would be expecting...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/21/13 3:04 p.m.

Trip to the GP in Austin for you both, home of the cowboy.

Sput
Sput Reader
6/21/13 3:09 p.m.

Like MTI said - not a 'thing' for a gift, but an 'event'.

A coupon for a family trip to a sporting event. A driving event. A condo at a beach for a long weekend. A round of golf with carts at a nice local golf course he has never been to (call the local pro, they set up rounds of golf like this for members/friends/special gifts alot more than the public knows).

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/13 3:13 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Get him 3 - 20 year olds.

fixed

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/21/13 3:35 p.m.
mtn wrote: Bourbon for the cowboy, Scotch for the golfer.

Actually, I really like this idea...he loves him some bourbon and coke....Shoulda thought of this!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/21/13 4:15 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
fixed

get him 4...um, no, I guess that wouldn't be OK.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/21/13 4:27 p.m.

These have a MSRP of $350:

Good reviews in SGN and American Rifleman.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/century-arms-1873-single-action-revolver-review/

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/21/13 4:39 p.m.

This.

When in doubt about what to get someone as a gift, I always go with good booze (presuming they're a drinker). You know it will get used and appreciated, and it will never become "just stuff" that takes up space.

Stanahan's Colorado Whiskey is a personal favorite of mine though, and appropriate for both the Cowboy and Golfer.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/21/13 5:01 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
fixed
get him 4...um, no, I guess that wouldn't be OK.

According to the laws in Indiana, that's ok as long as Dad is watching.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/21/13 6:26 p.m.

The standard answer for this forum......a Miata !!

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
6/21/13 7:10 p.m.

Leaving the math aside for a second, can I just ask... "he already owns a nice hat and is taking lessons" in what, exactly? You have to officially learn Hat now? (Well, aside from that Official Stupid Guy in the stadium in that other thread.)

coolusername
coolusername Reader
6/21/13 7:38 p.m.

i have seen some old west sheriff badges on ebay.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
6/21/13 9:22 p.m.

A book entitled, " Old cowboys learning to golf" or similar. Maybe "Old golfers wearing cowboy hats"

Hal
Hal Dork
6/21/13 9:31 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Dads a big reader - but doesnt want a nook/Kindle, and buys himself books all the time. but want something small in the $30 range or so that I could also put in a box - everyone should get to open an actual gift on their birthday...

Gift Card for Barnes & Noble or some other book store.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/21/13 10:06 p.m.

Nonono. Whiskey for the men, beer for the horses.

And as another thought for dad, what about a rodeo?

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
6/21/13 10:08 p.m.

If he's into the history of the old west, a membership in the Wild West History Association ($50/yr - bimonthly serious journal and annual convention) - see www.wildwesthistory.org. The articles they publish are heavily researched and get into the REAL history. They are most interested in outlaw/lawman history.

Or a subscription to Wild West magazine (bimonthly, $29.95/yr, less for multiple years, more popularized, but still very accurate, history) - see www.WildWestMag.com. They cover a wider variety of subjects than WWHA, and are a recognized top source of info.

True West magazine is similar, but a wider variety of style, and some more modern topics as well. Not a substitute for Wild West, but most people who subscribe ot one, take both.

Check to see if there are any Cowboy poetry/music gatherings near him. These are really great events, and are gaining popularity all over the country. NOT country events - Western is a completely different thing.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/25/13 4:54 a.m.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, there was some good stuff here.

with regards to the lessons bit, I meant he was taking lasso and horse care classes at a local stable. He rides a little, buy his weight is an issue for now, so limited riding until he loses a bit more (lost a bunch since Christmas).

Turns out though, booze was the answer here. Got him a $60 bottle of Blantons single barrel bourbon. We asked the clerk at the upscale liquor store about our options, and actually he seemed happy to NOT sell us the most expensive bottle. He told us it is a very popular bottle among Bourbon drinkers, not just the most expensive one to sit on a label whores shelf. When I saw that it came with a horse and rider on the top, that sealed the deal.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
6/25/13 5:10 a.m.

That sounds perfect! As a father, I officially approve. (And thanks for clearing up the lessons thing.)

beans
beans Reader
6/25/13 9:47 a.m.

Lever action carbine/rifle.

DirtSloe
DirtSloe
6/25/13 10:42 a.m.

See if there is a cowboy action shooting match in your area and take him to it.

Do a search for SASS or cowboy action shooting (with your state on the end)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ue8xDbr5JUFN8TVgQrtxlec7AdcylAA81f9KlQZb9Hfhkf56zOhyMZwPk3LY5XD9