rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
3/22/10 7:07 p.m.

Well I have the forge built and as promised I took pics!

First off the run down on the parts.

• 2 - 2 inch pipe nipples black iron
  • 1 - 2 inch T black iron
  • 1 - 2 inch cap black iron
  • 1 - 2 inch floor flange black iron
  • 1 - brake drum (from unknown make and model has 4 bolt pattern that matches flange)
  • 4 - bolts, nuts and washers (though could use 4 more washers). stainless steel
  • 1 - 2 inch steel pipe 2 feet in length
  • 2 - Cinder blocks

The total cost was about $32, $31 of which was the pipe and fittings. The drum was a freeby I found out at the junkyard laying near a Mercury wagon. I already had the cinder blocks and the stainless hardware was only about $1 and change. Still need to get a hair dryer to act as the air pump, figure I'll pick one up at Goodwill when I go to Portland later this week.

Here are the pics of how it went together.

The parts pile.

The down pipe assembled. The cap will be replaced later with a flap to dump the ash.

The flange bolted to the drum.

Fully assembled.

Mounted on the cinder blocks and ready to go except I still need a stainless drain cover to keep the coal from dumping down the pipe.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/10 10:13 p.m.

SWEET!

Nice job finding the black iron btw. All Chuck could source around here is zinc plated, which emits poisonous gas when initially heated.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
3/22/10 10:42 p.m.

My wife said she'd murder me if I built a forge.

Who's coming to my funeral?

TJ
TJ Dork
3/22/10 10:52 p.m.
VanillaSky wrote: My wife said she'd murder me if I built a forge. Who's coming to my funeral?

Depends on who you will the forge to.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
3/22/10 11:05 p.m.

Whoever wins the "Worst Bribe" award at the $2010 Challenge.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
3/22/10 11:28 p.m.

I'll come but before she kills you forge yourself some iron fixtures for the coffin

Mojo Yeah there was only one place in town that sold the black iron and that was where all the contractors in town go to. Very cool shop.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
3/23/10 2:41 p.m.
TJ wrote:
VanillaSky wrote: My wife said she'd murder me if I built a forge. Who's coming to my funeral?
Depends on who you will the forge to.

Magazine worthy.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/23/10 3:12 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: SWEET! Nice job finding the black iron btw. All Chuck could source around here is zinc plated, which emits poisonous gas when initially heated.

Home Depot and such all carry black pipe. It's usually on the rack across from the galvanized.

EastCoastMojo
3/23/10 3:46 p.m.

I guess Chuck had his blinders on that day that was the first place he went.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
3/23/10 5:06 p.m.

Is this for blacksmithing or something?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
3/23/10 5:14 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: Is this for blacksmithing or something?

Nah just for cooking bacon.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/10 5:28 p.m.

Splain me how this thing works.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
3/23/10 5:55 p.m.
Woody wrote: Splain me how this thing works.

Well best would be go to my previous post where I asked about forges and Mojo posted youtube link to how this one was built.

However the basics are you build your coal fire in the drum, fire pot (there will be a grate that covers the hole so the coal doesn't just dump down the pipe). To make the fire hot enough to forge with you pump air through the long pipe and it feeds the fire up top. Once the coal is burned down to ash it falls through the grate down to the collection area at the bottom of the pipe.

Metal you want to work gets applied to the fire up top to make it nice and mailable so that it can be shaped using the hammer and anvil.

Ideally once I build a more permanent stand for this thing I will lengthen the bottom most pipe/collection area and put a flap there to more easily dump the ash and be able to burn more before it starts choking off the air supply.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
3/23/10 7:39 p.m.

Very cool. Where do you get your coal? I guess in Oregon it is easier to come by than down here in Georgia.

Are you shure it is legal to burn coal in Or?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
3/23/10 8:32 p.m.

As far as I know it should be fine burning the coal for a forge. Around here though there are still quite a few ferriers and ranchers that burn it when horse shoeing and the like for their forges.

There may have to be the normal burn permit like when you do burn piles and barrels around here. But we are talking a much smaller fire than some of the ones I see around here for burn piles

EastCoastMojo
3/24/10 8:59 a.m.
Woody wrote: Splain me how this thing works.

Here's a link to the original thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/anyone-here-know-about-forges/20112/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nmT2eiJPZezLlsLUdKDLkdPBgOi5x9ZNoXvLbsJZIfvT7uxXgK1xTpuorNJ9bQPa