1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 225
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/17/16 8:51 p.m.

Thanks for checking in Wally, glad to hear you are ok. I hope there were not many people hurt by the blast. TIL there are still plenty of shiny happy people in the world.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
9/17/16 10:22 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Today I learned that apparently there is a gas shortage in my area . Wtf?
Same thing here in Raleigh. I went to two separate Sheetz stations and they all had signs on the pumps. And the one car that has a full tank right now is on stands getting the rear axle seals replaced. Crap...

Not sure if it affected NC but there was a gas pipeline break here in AL. Prices are expected to go up soon, all they needed was an excuse. Noticed tonight at the pump there was no mid or premium, only regular. Didn't see it this morning when I filled the Opel GT with ethanol free premium.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/18/16 11:55 a.m.

TIL that the cord on my cable box can be plugged in enough to light up all the leds, but not enough to record the F1 race or send a signal to the TV.

Luckily, I woke up in time to watch most of it.

What I didn't learn is why the cable box from my bedroom that I brought out to watch the race on the big tv worked on the cord that wasn't plugged all the way in.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
9/18/16 2:57 p.m.

TIL my new plate carrier doubles as a badass looking back brace and is surprisingly comfortable to lay around the house in.

Minor confession: I'm kinda hoping some Jehovah's Witnesses knock on the door and react to my "tacticool" wear.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/18/16 4:08 p.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin:

I have no need for any, but with H.R. 378 looming I've seriously considered acquiring some of my own, just because.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/16 7:13 p.m.

TIL what my RX-7 makes on a Mustang dyno. Given the torque figure, versus what every other naturally aspirated 13B I have owned made on a Dynojet, the dyno qualifies as a "heartbreaker".

Also TIL that my car farts fire like Eric Cartman when you lift off the throttle at 10k. And that my tuning strategy to kill power over 9k as a soft rev limit works very well.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
9/19/16 9:53 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Tech tip of the day: When cleaning your shower do not mix Castrol super clean and all bathroom cleaners you can find together and rinse with hot water in an enclosed area. The resulting fumes leave you short of breath for the next while.

Yeah man mixing cleaners is a bad idea. Do this for your shower; heat up some regular vinegar in your microwave, mix with and equal amount of original blue dawn dish soap, spray on your shower and let sit for awhile then rinse. A little scrubbing may be required but it does a very good job.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/16 10:29 a.m.

today I learned what I really wanted when I bought my Disco was that I wanted the European Version. 5 cylinder Turbo Diesel, 5 speed, not too many useless gadgets that I never use.. and I absolutely hate the US version's Climate control. Give me knobs of button controlled "automatic climate control"

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/19/16 11:51 a.m.

A lot of my favorite old comics, mostly copper age and modern age X Men, Spiderman, and Spawn, in VF-NM condition really aren't worth near as much as preteen Lee once dreamed they would be, like he ever bothered to take care of them anyway, creases, blunt corners, finger prints, etc. Scotch-tape holds one of his Superman Doomsday issues' torn cover on.

Turns out, eBay has a lot of preteen Lee's favorite issues, NM, boarded in plastic, for reasonable prices. I've got a while to sweat it out, but sometime within the next week or so I'm going to have to explain why I keep getting old comic books in the mail.

Also I should stay off eBay.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/16 10:51 p.m.

today I learned you apparently can't see out the back of an RX8. Guy at work was backing his 8 into a parking spot in the garage and had his head out the window to see where he was going.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
9/20/16 3:07 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: today I learned you apparently can't see out the back of an RX8. Guy at work was backing his 8 into a parking spot in the garage and had his head out the window to see where he was going.

Yup

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/16 3:21 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

The rear window is just about good enough to see the competition catch up with you on the track.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/16 3:24 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

A friend of mine in the U.K. was a production engineer for LR. His Disco TDi 300 is that exact spec - manual everything (including the windows), no sunroof.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/16 7:01 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: today I learned you apparently can't see out the back of an RX8.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
9/21/16 7:07 p.m.

TIL not to forget about a handful of JellyBellys in my pocket.

And then work for a couple of hours getting all sweaty........

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/21/16 7:18 p.m.

TIL how to turn on the radio and adjust the volume in an 2014 Acura MDX. Only took me about 10 minutes!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/22/16 12:28 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
Flight Service wrote: TIL there are some people who think the F35 is a good idea.
TIL, folks on the GRM forum can and will argue about anything and everything, especially things none of us can truly do anything about.

TIL some people think they can't do anything about stuff when the truth is they just don't give a damn enough to even try, and prefer to mock or ridicule those of us that do.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/22/16 12:53 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: TIL how to turn on the radio and adjust the volume in an 2014 Acura MDX. Only took me about 10 minutes!

When I bought my current beater it had a really nice aftermarket JVC head unit in it, took 2 months before a friend hit whatever button kicks the faceplate down and exposes the CD slot. It hadn't even occurred to me that it could play CDs.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
9/22/16 4:23 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In reply to mad_machine: A friend of mine in the U.K. was a production engineer for LR. His Disco TDi 300 is that exact spec - manual everything (including the windows), no sunroof.

TIL not to buy a Disco because even the guys that engineered it think the electrical system is total crap.

Sput
Sput Reader
9/23/16 11:31 a.m.

TIL that after travel and work for three weeks straight, it can be embarrassing to argue with my son about why he's not at is Monday morning college classes (when it's Friday). Huh, who knew?

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
9/24/16 8:59 p.m.

TIL if you are a trades person working in a stadium filled with 110,000 people, you don't want to be a plumber.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/24/16 9:54 p.m.

TIL, I should not eat silly challenge foods with names like "The Homewrecker", which in this case is a 15" long, 1 lb of solid hot dog topped with 2 lbs of kitchen sink worth of toppings in an appropriately sized bun.

I finished but nothing else is the same.

Btw, they have another one called the widowmaker, it's double sized.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
9/24/16 11:46 p.m.

...that hand-polishing 26-year-old paint that's never been touched blows goats.

2 hours later, I finished the trunk lid. I expect the roof and hood will take a full day apiece.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
9/25/16 7:57 a.m.

The other night I learned that the Canadian military drives at least one blue Prius. However, I'm having trouble imagining why.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
9/25/16 10:40 a.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: The other night I learned that the Canadian military drives at least one blue Prius. However, I'm having trouble imagining why.

For when you're sorry about the environment but still want the oil?

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lr2OUAgzQDMncD07DAmhSqlAf0Szax7HbOIDHXzZinTd5HtmUnQDAf37lqpezKC1