DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/7/14 7:14 a.m.

I sit here every day and lament cubicle life. Actually, I'd love a cubicle as we have simple desks in a room now. Anyway, I wanted to spice up my environment. A while ago I made a office chair out of a 1st gen MR2 seat

Then I found a instrument panel from a 60's benz and made a picture frame.

My latest attempt to car-ify my work space was done with the help of JThw8 (see his build thread here) I now have a customized desk organizer.
It started as a stark Ikea desk organizer

I chemically stripped it and powder coated it satin black. Then I shipped it of to JT and he air brushed and pinstriped it...free-hand! If I'd have free-handed that, it'd look like a bad impressionist painting.

He donated a hunk of aluminum diamond plate to the cause. I used button-head screws and acorn nuts to mount the plate. I figured it would not only hold up better than silicone or similar, but it lends to that chunky feel that diamond plate gives anything.

The acorn nuts elevate the organizer off the desk. For some reason I think that makes it look cooler still.

Thanks a ton JT, it looks great and I've got a lot of compliments.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/14 7:15 a.m.

I'm jealous!

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
3/7/14 7:20 a.m.

Nice! That's awesome.

At my previous job, I had a little more space than I do now. At a post-holiday 75% off sale, I bought a little N-gauge starter train set and set up a kidney loop around my monitor stands. It even had a tunnel and a little bridge to get up and over the cables.

The white noise of running that thing around the track really helped with being stuck in an open-office cube farm.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/7/14 7:20 a.m.

I decorate my desk with broken parts and papers that remind me what I'm supposed to be doing.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/14 8:25 a.m.

I'm out of the office today, otherwise I'd grab a picture, but I have over 100 Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars hanging on my cube walls now. I'm running out of room. I'm going to ask for a bigger cube as a joke when my review happens.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/7/14 8:40 a.m.

Beats the hell out of this calender on the wall of this bulletproof cubicle.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/7/14 9:03 a.m.
Duke wrote: Nice! That's awesome. At my previous job, I had a little more space than I do now. At a post-holiday 75% off sale, I bought a little N-gauge starter train set and set up a kidney loop around my monitor stands. It even had a tunnel and a little bridge to get up and over the cables. The white noise of running that thing around the track really helped with being stuck in an open-office cube farm.

That sounds cool as hell.

I bought a 1966 GT40 model from Toys R Us and have some pics of the family up.

I saw a chick who once grew some kind of leafy climbing plant in her cube. She had suction cup hooks attached so it could climb up. It ended up looking like either an elf fortress or a duck blind.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
3/7/14 11:20 a.m.

AW11 SEAT FTW! Those early 85/86 two-tone seats are awesome (I am biased, but rightly so). It helps that they're ridiculously comfortable for an economy-based sports car from 30 years ago.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/7/14 12:38 p.m.
Matt B wrote: AW11 SEAT FTW! Those early 85/86 two-tone seats are awesome (I am biased, but rightly so). It helps that they're ridiculously comfortable for an economy-based sports car from 30 years ago.

I've been using this seat for a little over a year now. Yes, it is very comfy.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
3/7/14 7:40 p.m.

All I have at my cube is a laptop, a few cell phones, approx 8x used up coffee cups, a whole lot of paperwork, some safety glasses and metatarsal boots, some binders, some of our competitors' catalogs, and behind me, all the manuals to all our competitors' equipment.

At one point I had a approx 3' x 3' model sailboat with a pirate flag on it at my desk, that was threatened to be dumpstered on the last office re-org so I took it home and gave it to a friend that sails. I also have our Fantasy Football "Toilet Bowl" trophy at my desk, as I had the lowest scoring team for the season, even though I made it all the way to the superbowl and lost.

I used to have a model Escalade and a model John Deere Gator at my desk, but both have been moved to a shelf at home since I have real work to do.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
3/7/14 8:20 p.m.

Very cool. I added this to my desk this week to liven things up just a little bit.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/7/14 10:09 p.m.

Haha! Cool man. I like the dog bone creeper and the boom box.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
3/10/14 9:51 a.m.

Here is mine. Hagerty "I love old car smell" stick included.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/14 10:10 a.m.

Needs moar dragons or chicks in iron underwear.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/10/14 10:54 a.m.

GrTechGuy: Nice. Love the plate. Logdog: let's see you in iron underwear

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/14 11:22 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost: you have to subscribe to my website for those pics!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/10/14 3:07 p.m.

My desk is decorated with papers. There is desk under there somewhere...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/14 4:56 p.m.

I almost wished I worked in an office so I could put cool stuff on my desk.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
3/10/14 5:00 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KA7XMep2z5T5H9OwKwvxn7UqV60pjIY4IgSt44455g2c0awa6jqYFcs6nLbL8IpK