alex
alex SuperDork
10/20/11 9:55 a.m.

Yes, you guys are my Google. So learn me flat screens.

Say I have a 36" space on a wall to fill. What diagonal 'size' screen do I need to more-or-less fill that space.

I realize this can be worked out using aspect ratios (which I don't know), so show your work on this match problem and teach me something today, too.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/20/11 9:56 a.m.

Is this kind of like buying a sofa sized painting?

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/20/11 9:57 a.m.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a cabinet that has exactly 36" inside of it. It seems a 37" lcd is generally about 36" wide. Depending on the size of the case, give or take a half inch.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/20/11 9:57 a.m.

You kiddin' me? Get some clean white poly material, and buy a projector. Size it up to be the exact size you want/need. You're welcome!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/20/11 9:58 a.m.

In reply to alex:

Measure your space, and then look at the specs that manufacturers publish. The outside measurements, I mean, not the picture diagonal.

Either the width or the height will limit the choices.

Buy the one that fits the best.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/20/11 9:58 a.m.

Oh, and I didn't use math, I just checked on amazon or similar online stores and they generally list the overall dimensions in the description.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
10/20/11 10:00 a.m.

A true videophile would alter the space to accommodate the largest flat screen set currently available.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/20/11 10:02 a.m.

Can you mount more than one? Opposed to taking out a wall?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/11 10:09 a.m.

Do you have a tape measure and a Best Buy?

RossD
RossD SuperDork
10/20/11 10:34 a.m.

Best Buy's website tells you the outer dimensions.

You could probably fit a 40" but probably not a 42".

EDIT: Looking at actual numbers probably only a 36"

Double EDIT: The diagonal dimension (the one usually advertised) is ~1.15x the width. So a 36" diagonal gives you a (36/1.15)= 31.3" of screen width. The works for a true 16:9 ratio.

But you still have to add in some room for the border and speakers if they're mounted off the ends. So you get back to almost 36", anyways.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/20/11 10:49 a.m.

Wouldn't the thing to do be to measure the available space on the diagonal instead of the horizontal?

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
10/20/11 11:14 a.m.

I have a 32" (diagonal) Sony that measures 31.5" wide, edge to edge.

I also have a 46" Sony that is 43.5", edge to edge.

That said, I'm sure the frame size varies from one manufacturer to another.

alex
alex SuperDork
10/20/11 11:25 a.m.

Ah, didn't know manufacturers listed exterior dimensions these days. Thought I'd be going off screen size.

Carry on about your day, chaps!

alex
alex SuperDork
10/20/11 11:28 a.m.

Side tracking my original question, but still falling under the same subject: a while back I came across a handy table for screen sizing which was based on the distance from the screen to the seating position of the viewer, ie: if you're 72" from the screen you need a screen of X", if you're 96" from the screen you need a screen of Y", that sort of thing. Ring any bells? Where'd I see that thing?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/20/11 11:43 a.m.
alex wrote: Side tracking my original question, but still falling under the same subject: a while back I came across a handy table for screen sizing which was based on the distance from the screen to the seating position of the viewer, ie: if you're 72" from the screen you need a screen of X", if you're 96" from the screen you need a screen of Y", that sort of thing. Ring any bells? Where'd I see that thing?

Worry about the outer dimensions first, then go to the store. Say your couch is X feet away from the wall, so stand X feet from the TV at the store. That will tell you more than any table.

I noticed that at the Best Buy on The Rock Road will have their lower priced TVs hooked up wrong to get worse quality. Play around with the input selections a bit.

Keep in mind that the contrast ratio of the TV will have a lot to do with the actual quality of the TV. The higher, the better.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
10/20/11 12:30 p.m.

I used this to help sell our 60" DLP to my wife based on our living room size, she was worried it was too big but now loves it.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

There is this too - http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter
Excel calculator page

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/11 1:01 p.m.

Psssss that's easy. 60" in front of the opening!

alex
alex SuperDork
10/20/11 2:13 p.m.
fastEddie wrote: I used this to help sell our 60" DLP to my wife based on our living room size, she was worried it was too big but now loves it. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Bingo. That's the one. Thanks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ROCDUfHkTki2mSMxwcsWM9haIxyyxNWLQfedI9juFcNkTvNt1SYCjmzMpzKDHQkV