1 2 3 4
logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/24/15 8:09 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: Working for a living.

That's why I prefer to work for the weekend.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
12/24/15 8:42 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: The gun

I don't want to flounder the thread, but also want to point out people are creative and are good at finding new ways to kill each other.

Eliminate one way and they will find another.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/24/15 8:43 a.m.

People.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/15 8:50 a.m.

Selfie sticks were taken, so I'll posit the small block Chevy.

Tiny cramped crankcase, the distributor and oil pump are driven off of the non drive end of a thin whippy camshaft, which is mounted really low. The port layout makes a nice hot spot right in the middle of the cylinder head. The final insult is the head bolt pattern manages to both get in the way of the intake ports AND run so close to the bores that it presents some pretty severe bore warpage issues.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
12/24/15 9:29 a.m.

Truck nuts.

RFloyd
RFloyd New Reader
12/24/15 9:58 a.m.
jstand wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: The gun
I don't want to flounder the thread, but also want to point out people are creative and are good at finding new ways to kill each other. Eliminate one way and they will find another.

egg Zachary. First thing I thought when "the gun" was mentioned was "yes, because being hacked to death with a sword would be such a better way to go!"

The gun makes it a lot easier to put food on the table, as well.

My vote goes for the Kardashians, with the "selfie" running a close 2nd. Narcissistic bastages.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/24/15 10:09 a.m.

I think DRM may be on my list.

The current implementation anyway. I don't think DRM is inherently bad. I have no issues with making sure I pay for stuff. I DO hate it being tied to certain 'smart' devices, or tied to services that will stream it to me when I want it.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/24/15 10:57 a.m.

Microsoft Windows.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
12/24/15 11:04 a.m.

Hallmark Movies..

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/24/15 1:01 p.m.

Single worst invention in the history of human kind is "Stance"........bruh

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/24/15 1:07 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: This thread, which is just another form of the minor rant thread (aka the bitch thread) and is otherwise useless.

internet trolls

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
12/24/15 1:08 p.m.

I will also vote for the gun as the worst invention. I will have to come back about the most irritating invention.

1kris06
1kris06 Reader
12/24/15 1:27 p.m.
aircooled wrote: For me, I will go with: (A bit of a blast from the past, thread wise)

The X6/M, I agree.

However, if no SUVs/CUVs meant more wagons, then I agree 100%

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
12/24/15 1:55 p.m.

I would say guns should be classified as most misused tool. As far as small block cheats are concerned, I didn't realise they were so bad. Is that why nobody uses them?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/24/15 2:30 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb:

The problems with the SBC are made up for how dirt common they were, Chevy made one small displacement V8 platform and put it in everything for over 30 years, making the engines and speed parts cheaper than anything Ford (who must have gone through half a dozen under 400 ci OHV V8 engine designs) or Dodge was using.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/15 3:06 p.m.

It doesn't hurt one tiny bit that Chevy supported the engine with parts and knowledge. Other automakers did too, but Chevy did so with a minimum of weirdball parts. The interchangability was great, and Chevy certainly flooded the market for a long time.

But damn, did they miss the mark on a lot of things. I'm sure they made sense in 1954, and they incorporated a lot of cutting-edge features, but come on, they should have put the distributor in the front. I'll give them a pass for the cam placement because long pushrods are lighter than cast iron and the "big" engines back then had a 3" stroke.

Chrysler's New Hemi has the cam so high that the oil returns from the heads go completely under the cam, and the highest point of the block is the cam sprocket. The heads flow like Cup car heads. But they didn't exactly flood the market with those engines the way GM flooded with LS1-lineage engines. And they made a few significant running changes. And what few used engines are available are dear because of top end oiling issues.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
12/24/15 3:37 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I will also vote for the gun as the worst invention. I will have to come back about the most irritating invention.

I take it that you two have no interest in becoming members of the Torque and Recoil Car and Gun Club, then?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/24/15 4:22 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Selfie sticks were taken, so I'll posit the small block Chevy.

I thought I trolled it pretty good with religion and the gun, but you win. That's funny right there.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/15 10:13 p.m.

Car DVD players, self parking cars, auto correct.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
12/24/15 10:35 p.m.

I vote religion.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
12/24/15 10:52 p.m.

If you think the gun is a horrible invention and not specify which one then you could be including a impact gun, a nail gun, hulk hogans 22inch pythons, or it's ancestors the trebuchet, cannon, etc. Who doesn't like seeing someone get shot out of a cannon? Be more specific - Back on topic.

• Cars - The CVT Transmission.
  • Ammunition - The .40 caliber round is horrible.
  • Tools - tamper proof torx bits.
  • Technology - I agree with the guy complaining about people who for some reason dump their money into crappy proprietary software when there are tons of free options that are better.
  • Technology v2 - Proprietary charging devices/cables. Apple is a leader in this category. Oddly enough on the windows side, try finding a replacement charger for your windows laptop without losing your mind.

• Misc - Yelp, twitter/instagram (narcissism central), CVTs, 40hr work week, Pittsburgh Steelers, the last 3 call of duty games.

• Things that need to be invented - Lane change sensing turn signals for BMW/Mercedes/dickhole driver cars.

And to the guy who said Nuclear weapons - a lot of that development led to the nuclear reactor, which leads to the power you are probably using to type your messages on this forum, which does it in a somewhat cleaner fashion than coal. Just imagine once they finally figure out how to properly handle a fusion reaction.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/24/15 10:55 p.m.
92dxman wrote: Hallmark Movies..

no problem with them ..... I don't have to watch .. Mom can watch them all she wants ... no skin off my nose

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/24/15 10:59 p.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Car DVD players, self parking cars, auto correct.

as badly as I spell, auto correct is quite helpful ... (I may not be able to spell, but I can see when something doesn't look right ... then auto correct is great... at least for me ... though I do inspect [usually] before I hit "enter'')

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/15 8:45 p.m.

Pretty much anything sold on an infomercial.

Little known factoid. Square drive screws are rightly called Robertson screws, named for the fantastic Canadian, Peter Limburner Robertson who invented them. They are the standard to the north.

My only problem with torx is that you can still strip them out if you're not straight on. To me they are only a small improvement over phillips.

Now... if you want the ultimate drive... Spider drive.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/25/15 10:13 p.m.

The football

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MyQRniglTf6uGs5IQdVe836FWmoGGnmB1IbasCGHmhJSsUULs8CHOGyYKytjEGe9