1 2 3
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/09 11:32 a.m.

No, not that. I mean meats.

We have a smoker that I got last summer off of Craigslist and I have been jonesing to use it. I have never somked any meats before.

It is a charcoal contraption, and I have a decent looking supply of lump coal, various woods for smoking and a hearty appetite. I have an adequate amount of paitence and I'm really good at setting fire to things.

Mine looks like this but I can't remember if it has that little door on the front of it. It does have a thermometer on the lid.

So here's my request: What's your favorite recipe? What's your favorite cut of meat to use when smoking and do you do anyting special to prepare it for smoking? Should I use this as an excuse to buy one of those infared thermometers? What's the scoop?

I promise I will provide pics of whatever I end up making, even if it just turns out to be a lump of coal.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
5/19/09 11:35 a.m.

I'll be the first (and hopefully only) to say tires. I'll spare you the pic, to keep this on topic.

I love grilled meat, but I've never been a fan of the smoking thing. I may try, though, depending on how this thread plays out.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/19/09 11:36 a.m.

I'm new to the smoking (meats) thing too. Can't wait to try it out. My favorite smoked stuff is brisket, which is what I'll be trying first. This sounds like a pretty awesome recipe, and this dude knows his stuff. Personally, I really like stuff smoked with apple wood:

http://www.bbqu.net/season3/305.html

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
5/19/09 11:41 a.m.

I am also new to this.

I liked the Italian sausage, brats, ribs and the brisket.

Unfortunately, the Lovely Wife is not really into alternative cooking methods, so I am regulated to the "safer" avenue of grilling.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/19/09 11:47 a.m.
I am regulated to the "safer" avenue of grilling.

I'm going to give it a shot on the gas grill. Soak the chips, place them over direct heat in a smoker box on one side, place the brisket on/over a drip pan on the opposite side. Google/youtube "gas smoker."

CoryB
CoryB Reader
5/19/09 11:53 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
I am regulated to the "safer" avenue of grilling.
I'm going to give it a shot on the gas grill. Soak the chips, place them over direct heat in a smoker box on one side, place the brisket on/over a drip pan on the opposite side. Google/youtube "gas smoker."

We do that for beerbutt chicken. It works just great. Use cheap beer to soak the chips as that adds a bit more flavor.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
5/19/09 11:54 a.m.

I've got the tools for smoking on the Grill, she just is leery that it won't be cooked well enough. Couple that with my 15 year old daughter going vegeterian on me (why Lord why?)...and it leaves me and my 5 year old son eating alot of BBQ for a few days.

The BBQU guy is the best, I try to find his shows on PBS during the weekend. I also have one of his books.I don't know if he is still teaching at the Greenbrier Resort, but it would be worth it to go there and take a class.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
5/19/09 11:54 a.m.

There is a small store in Gills Rock, Wisconsin that has the BEST smoked fish for sale. I always buy some from my Dad when I am in the area and I too am interested in smoking.

My brother got one from his friend and I was jealous as can be until he told me it was an entire 10 hour day to smoke some meat and he fiddled with it all day long.

I might be able to drive to Wisconsin and back quicker....

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
5/19/09 12:05 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I'm new to the smoking (meats) thing too. Can't wait to try it out. My favorite smoked stuff is brisket, which is what I'll be trying first. This sounds like a pretty awesome recipe, and this dude knows his stuff. Personally, I really like stuff smoked with apple wood: http://www.bbqu.net/season3/305.html

You know what, some of the best smoked brisket I've ever had was never actually smoked... I was stunned. But when I worked at a resort 20 years ago, they did a daily BBQ for the guests- BBQ brisket was always on the menu. Well, when preparing, they basically boiled (really braised) the brisket for many hours in a really large pot. The secret was liquid smoke.

After that, we sliced in in a deli slicer, then layered it in a pan with the house made BBQ sauce, and then baked it (covered) for a few more hours.

Killer.

It took a while to get over the shock that liquid smoke (which IS from real smoke) was what was used....

Eric

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/09 12:16 p.m.

I smoke Salmon. Works great.

fix the grill so that all the coals are on one side of the coal grate.

put a pan of water on the other side.

Fire up the coals and wait until they're white

Leave the skin on the fish.

keep the temp in the grill low by closing all the vents and opening it as little as possible.

cook low temp and slowly (low and slow)

Put bbq sauce of choice on the fish once, then again about 25 t 30 mins later using your own judgement on fish moistness.

When the fish is flaky and the juice coming out of it is clear you're done!

since you didn't open the lid it's all smoked up.

Tip: Stop at roadside bbq stands that have a huge smoker doing it's thing and one or two guys working it. If you don't see wood on site or the smoker in plain view - keep driving.

btw - Short Sugar's in Danville Va, near VIR, is a good place.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
5/19/09 12:22 p.m.

ECMojo, I can't see your picture, but I have a Brinkman that looks like R2D2.

DO NOT use lighter fluid to get it started or matchless charcoal, that taste will permeate the meat.

I keep the temp gage in the lid 225 to 250'f. Mine has a water supply in the bottom to keep things moist, moist is good. I also have crabapple trees around so I whack up some small limbs into chips, then soak them in water overnight if possible. If the wood is dry it just burns up, no smoke. I like apple and hickory, mesquite is a little bitter to my tastes.

A few years ago I had my family up for Thanksgiving. I cooked a 22 lb. turkey in the usual way, but smoked a 14 lb.er outside. If you put turkey on one tray, fish on another and sausage in there somewhere the flavors don't intermingle.

I like smoking in the fall. I'm hanging around the yard anyway doing all that domestic stuff like leaves and lawn. Whenever you walk past the smoker, toss in a few charcoals and a handfull of chips. Slower and longer is better; if the wind comes up I put a large cardboard box (no top or bottom) around it to keep the heat from blowing away.

Dan

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/19/09 12:22 p.m.
Kramer wrote: I'll be the first (and hopefully only) to say tires.

That's what I was thinking....

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/19/09 12:27 p.m.

ummm...the competition....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/09 12:34 p.m.

1 ~12lb turkey bagged and marinated with:

8oz Wild Turkey, 2oz lemon juice, one bottle Sweet Baby Rays standard BBQ sauce, 2tbsp Tabasco brand hot sauce.

After allowing the bird to soak for 24-36 hours drain out the marinade and place in a disposable pie tin. Cut six Granny Smith apples into 1/4"-1/2" wedge slices and place in bowl, tumble together and place apples in heated smoker.

Put turkey in and cook.

thedude
thedude New Reader
5/19/09 1:06 p.m.

Far out, man

EastCoastMojo
5/19/09 1:16 p.m.

DROOOOL

Good lord I should know better than to start this thread at work. Now i am drooling all over.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
5/19/09 1:29 p.m.

I like both brisket and turkey. There are tons of brine, marinade, and rub recipes online and mixes at the store.

We use packer-trim briskets and we buy them cheap. So what if you have to hack off a chunk to get it in your dinky smoker?

If you run out of patience and/or charcoal, you can wrap the brisket in foil, put it in a pan, and finish it in the oven. We won't tell.

Use a temp probe at the tail end of cooking to prove to doubters that the meat has at least seen 170F.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/19/09 1:36 p.m.
We use packer-trim briskets and we buy them cheap. So what if you have to hack off a chunk to get it in your dinky smoker?

I've always been curious: When you consider the weight of the fat, is it really that much cheaper?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/19/09 2:22 p.m.

Country-style ribs.

Brush with mustard and roll in brown sugar mixed VERY generously with paprika. (Once you've had good Spanish sweet or hot smoked paprika, you'll never go back to the flavorless stuff you thought you liked. Even "good" Hungarian can't hold a candle. It's my latest food obsession.) I throw some salt, pepper, and cumin in there too, in lesser quantities. (Sorry, I'm an eyeball/sniff/taste cook. Think slathered mustard, cup of sugar, tablespoon paprika, teaspoon salt and 1/4 t. pepper and cumin.)

Fill the smoker's water pan with HOT water, fill the charcoal pan with briquettes (as Dan said, do not use starter fluid), and as soon as they ash, throw on a few chunks of wood that have been soaked for 20-30 minutes. Keep the thermometer in the "ideal" zone (you'll probably need to toss in briquettes along the way, but avoid opening the top lid--that's what the little door is for) and smoke for 6-8 hours. Slather with your favorite sauce or not, and eat.

Margie

EastCoastMojo
5/19/09 2:28 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Country-style ribs. Brush with mustard and roll in brown sugar mixed VERY generously with paprika. (Once you've had good Spanish sweet or hot smoked paprika, you'll never go back to the flavorless stuff you thought you liked. Even "good" Hungarian can't hold a candle. It's my latest food obsession.) I throw some salt, pepper, and cumin in there too, in lesser quantities. (Sorry, I'm an eyeball/sniff/taste cook. Think slathered mustard, cup of sugar, tablespoon paprika, teaspoon salt and 1/4 t. pepper and cumin.) Fill the smoker's water pan with HOT water, fill the charcoal pan with briquettes (as Dan said, do not use starter fluid), and as soon as they ash, throw on a few chunks of wood that have been soaked for 20-30 minutes. Keep the thermometer in the "ideal" zone (you'll probably need to toss in briquettes along the way, but avoid opening the top lid--that's what the little door is for) and smoke for 6-8 hours. Slather with your favorite sauce or not, and eat. Margie

H O L Y Cow that sounds goooooood. Do you do anything to the ribs when you take them out of the package? Do I need to cut that fatty part off? What's "ideal" on the temp or should my smoker have something on the guage? I admit I have not looked at it closely so i may have missed something obvious. Do you have any favorite sides that you serve with this?

cwh
cwh Dork
5/19/09 2:31 p.m.

The BEST turkey I ever had was smoked- long slow process, but football was on, so no biggie. Had smoked amberjack a few years ago, also great. I was told that is the only way to eat amberjack because of the parasitic worms in the meat. Of course that was AFTER we were finished, but it was still delicious. Smoking just brings a new dimension to the cooling process, I enjoy it a lot. You can smoke almost anything. Shrimp are good, too. Enough already, my mouth is literally watering as I write this!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/19/09 2:35 p.m.

Don't do anything to the ribs--that's pork fat on them, and it's all good. :-) Seriously, once you cook them to falling-off-the-bone, most of the fat has rendered anyway. [edit: not that I'm recommending this as a health food. It's a heart-stopper in all its glory. That's why it's good. And I missed the question about sides the first time--I usually serve these with paper towels.] "Ideal" should be labeled on your temp gauge, but I think it's about 225-250 ish, as the other guys have said.

This is my dad's recipe, and he was justifiably famous for it.

Margie

EastCoastMojo
5/19/09 2:53 p.m.

LOL Yeah, i don't eat ribs for my health. Is the spanish paprika available at the Harris Teeter or do I need to find an authentic latino grocery? Any special variety of wood chips?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/09 3:00 p.m.

Depending on what I am cooking I will keep a variety of chips around.

EastCoastMojo
5/19/09 3:02 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Depending on what I am cooking I will keep a variety of chips around.

What's a good rule of thumb on the wood choice? Is fruit wood always a good choice? Does it matter on if the recipe has a sweet element in the ingredients?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oS65fp37VfFdHLVdGDTOJH4TVWzIIpVPRMrZCa6RZ8VMQg2GMLNEM7yrBRhXObfs