1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/27/13 6:13 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: This one is a customer's truck. It has a 455 Pontiac and TH400 in it too. Poncho motor looks like it was born there.

GMC pickups of that era actually came from the factory with Pontiac V8s, so a 455 would look right at home.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/13 7:09 p.m.

Lower it and put steelies and period corect hub caps and I would like it better. But I dont hate it.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
8/27/13 11:32 p.m.

It could be worse.

Vintage wheels, mirrors and door handles and I would drive it.

jere
jere HalfDork
8/28/13 12:23 a.m.

Wow I thought I had low standards of cars I would drive... ... Like half of the replies are "I would drive it...

What a f up that thing is who cares about the wheels and paint when you have the retro bed and retro hood leading into a square, modern cab? Awful! Looks like a 55 chevy ate an F150 and the F150 was so big it burst the chevy's guts open.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/28/13 1:31 a.m.

needs different mirrors and door handles... and i bet it also has the stock 90's vintage tail lights on it- those would need to go, too, along with a tailgate that more closely mimics the mid 60's truck it's trying so hard to emulate... also, yes, flatten the hood out, and find a way to hide that silly modern frame...

Chevy actually made a pretty nice "retro" looking truck in the '01-'02 time frame, and all they had to do was put a little taller hood on a regular production truck to pull it off...

'02 HD 2500:

1970 Chevy K20:

or am i the only person to see the similarities?

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
8/28/13 6:46 a.m.
fujioko wrote: It could be worse. Vintage wheels, mirrors and door handles and I would drive it.

Pretty much the same. The wheels are the only thing I really can't get behind. (I really thought this was going to be a Miley Cyrus thread.)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
8/28/13 7:15 a.m.

Having driven a modern Chevy crew cab for the last six years, I can honestly say I'd drive that in a heart beat, if only to cure the soul crushing boredom that is a modern truck.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/28/13 7:23 a.m.

Slam it, and put it on these:

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
8/28/13 8:34 a.m.

Some of you guys are sniffing glue or something. That truck is just as bad as an easyrod. Actually a bit worse because it looks like the front end has been hacked off and reconnected 4 inches higher than it should.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/13 9:39 a.m.

orphancars hit all the points i would have. wheels, mirrors, door handles, hood, then i'd be OK with it.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
8/28/13 5:22 p.m.

I don't hate it, definitely has potential, would've been better with the hood a little lower, some tall pizza-cutters on steel wheels. Something like these:

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/28/13 5:43 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Some of you guys are sniffing glue or something. That truck is just as bad as an easyrod. Actually a bit worse because it looks like the front end has been hacked off and reconnected 4 inches higher than it should.

at least that car will get you free entry into a LeMons race..

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/28/13 10:12 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
ditchdigger wrote: Some of you guys are sniffing glue or something. That truck is just as bad as an easyrod. Actually a bit worse because it looks like the front end has been hacked off and reconnected 4 inches higher than it should.
at least that car will get you free entry into a LeMons race..

I nearly E36 M3 myself when I spotted a drop top Belaro at the Syracuse Nationals. I'm not sure who deserves worse punishment, the owner or the person that let it in.

Back to the truck, it might have potential. I agree with the laundry list of changes that would improve it.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
8/28/13 11:02 p.m.

jere
jere HalfDork
8/29/13 12:57 a.m.

In reply to clownkiller:

eughk! there it is again Was it really necessary to re post the image of that monstrosity? Couldn't you just say them front end looks like the old chevy pick up?

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
8/29/13 7:56 a.m.

jere, just for you....

clownkiller wrote:

We have different tastes. As soon as you start to be insulting about people whose tastes are merely different than yours, you cross from simply disliking something to being an asshat.

I'd have done a few things differently, but it's not my truck. And as it is, I'd still drive it. And tow my trailer with it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/29/13 10:03 a.m.
CLynn85 wrote: I don't hate it, definitely has potential, would've been better with the hood a little lower, some tall pizza-cutters on steel wheels. Something like these:

Now that's sweet!

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
8/29/13 10:27 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: That hood site soo high he's lost a quarter of his front visibility. It's like driving after a heavy snow and not brushing off the hood.

all the super duty/heavy duty trucks have giant bulging hoods now, don't make no sense....

jere
jere HalfDork
8/29/13 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

No Mas! Don't go throwing around that asshat name around me now My posts were made in jest, with tongue in cheek, as a razz and so on. I am not diggin the pick up but I have a high regard for everyone here

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
8/29/13 12:34 p.m.
mtn wrote: The hood is too tall.

This was the first thing I saw tha made it look bad to me.

It might need one of those sweeper arm things that school buses have before he takes off in that thing. Do it for the churren.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/29/13 12:36 p.m.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
8/29/13 1:48 p.m.

In reply to jere:

SORRY...... I'm still up in the air on the truck. I like the 50's cab!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/29/13 3:17 p.m.
clownkiller wrote: In reply to jere: SORRY...... I'm still up in the air on the truck. I like the 50's cab!

i don't see anything with a 50's cab, just some pics of mid 60's stuff...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zqI1QROjcp2yirGFz9fj3K5qMsfTrJCTf3WNRmJxKOx64YslXA6WcNFIbOdqSmEb