1 ... 3 4 5
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/24 1:15 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Word has gone out that the Lake Lure Damn in North Carolina is 10' above capacity and overtopped the damn. The damn is in danger of imminent failure. Everyone below the damn is being evacuated. 

The lake is 720 acres and is 104' deep at its deepest point. 

Wow. That would be catastrophic. 😥

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/24 1:17 p.m.

Lost power around 10 pm last night. Still out. No damage, just lots of debris down. Our little Honda generator is keeping the fridge running and my wife's Ioniq 6 is keeping the deep freezer freezing!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Yep, it's a beautiful lake and there are a lot of people who live below it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/27/24 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Disney is one of those things, man. I'm a fan. I know you are. Even if you're not though, it's damned impressive how GOOD they are. 

this is about the worst we got in the direct area. Got a notification to my phone that my house was back online- which has to mean I have Internet. Having Internet means I have power. Took a gamble and went back home. Ran into a neighbor and sounds like it's been back for about 20min. About the time I got that notification. Convenient!

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
9/27/24 2:42 p.m.

Just got word that the family farm down in Hazlehurst, GA got damn near leveled. Pole buildings ripped right out of the ground, sheds flattened, trees down, somehow a building is in the pond, almost the whole pecan orchard got blown down, and worst of all the new chicken houses got hit. Downtown Hazlehurst got blasted too. Insane how much power the storm had that far inland.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/24 2:46 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Ventusky was showing 95 mph gusts north of Asheville, NC this morning. 

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
9/27/24 3:51 p.m.

I-40 south between knoxville and asheville

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
9/27/24 3:59 p.m.

Got off easy in our neighborhood in Charlotte.  Lost power a couple of times for a minute it two.  No major tree damage.

At our cabin near Asheville, lost power early this morning, still out. Neighbors there posting lots of trees down, so not sure status there. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/27/24 4:10 p.m.
sevenracer said:

I-40 south between knoxville and asheville

Magnitude 7 clusterberkeley

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mipcJexvaSNoU9UV9EGohkTPyrbfZDeJVQMV8zTrOunvITmndiMLz70Wn9vYx98u