DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
7/11/24 8:57 p.m.

I had a skin graft on my arm a couple of years ago, and while it's slowly growing back the skin is very thin. My watch will occasionally wear through in spots. I suddenly had a thought about how easily I might cut myself while doing anything around the garage. Do any of you use sleeves, and what do I look out for if I buy some? My arm...

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/24 10:02 p.m.

I find a quality Carhartt goes a long way towards protection from cuts and such.   I make sure to use a welding jacket when grinding or welding, too. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/12/24 12:30 a.m.

I worked in a Ford plant on the assembly line. Put fans and fan clutches together and then installed them and the serpentine belt on F150 engines. I was provided with kevlar sleeves that went from wrist to elbow, essentially for exactly that purpose. No idea the brand or even proper name, but I wore a sleeveless shirt and kevlar forearm "sleeves" most every day of my brief tenure. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/24 12:35 a.m.

Thanks to Spearfishin, googling "kevlar arm sleeves" brings up a bunch of options. I can see them also being useful when working around hot stuff. They'd be great for working the pits at an endurance race. I'm sure this is SOP in pro teams but I certainly didn't have a set on me last time I was working one :)

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/12/24 11:20 a.m.

I used to have some leftover from my Ford stint, but they've been lost to the bottomless pits of my garages over the years.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HdNoXyybwAh6aICBtbQ0W8wEe189j7vuAUxBDOjTHYBTPmQ0iYA9vFvlEIaowsym